Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not have the dashcam on. Would be hard to turn it on when the AEB acts up. Too busy with the car. However, might investigate whether I can just keep it on.

TeslaCam is always on when driving. If an incident occurs you need to actively save the incident. There is plenty of time to regain composure and save (by pressing dash cam button or, if enabled, the horn) after an event - in fact saving too quickly after an event risks loosing the specific moment.

Reactions: Adopado
I wish dashcam also recorded the contents of the infotainment screen too. Would love to know what percentage of these events are related to false speed limit change glitch, incorrectly detected object, TACC staying latched onto a car that is fully in another lane, etc....

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
The problem continues to other models through 2023.

Yes. My 2023 Model 3 (current mileage 7,000) suddenly went into emergency braking on May 15, 2024 while in cruise mode at 72 mph. Fortunately, I do not use any of the AutoPilot stuff (do not trust it after trying for a few minutes) and was able to retain control. Also, fortunately, traffic was light and no one was tailgating me, although I am sure some folks to the rear had to slow down quickly. Reported to Tesla. Told to report to dealer. Did so. Dealer without looking at the vehicle indicated it did not find anything unusual in the telemetry, some glips are to be expected, and driver is responsible for retaining control. Dealer thereupon cancelled the appointment. I was shocked and was able to download the telemetry. None existed for the approximate time periods during which the incident occurred. Wierd.

According to articles I dug up, drivers have reported more than 400,000 instances of phantom breaking to NHTSA. It is investigating approximately 700 plus reports from Tesla owners.

We need a class action suit or more proactive NHTSA. Know of any ongoing suits that would include 2023 and subsequent year models?
Did you opt out of Tesla's arbitration clause? If not, you might be out of luck on the class action part. A lawyer may need to step in to provide advice here.

I don't know how long Tesla's been doing this but it possibly dates back to 2020 or even 2018. See below, for example:

Someone else will need to give me a history lesson as I only realized/learned of this in the past ~6 months or so. (No, I don't have a Tesla so it doesn't affect me but I have seen numerous arbitration clauses in other products and services that do bother me.)

Did you opt out of Tesla's arbitration clause? If not, you might be out of luck on the class action part. A lawyer may need to step in to provide advice here.

I don't know how long Tesla's been doing this but it possibly dates back to 2020 or even 2018. See below, for example:

Someone else will need to give me a history lesson as I only realized/learned of this in the past ~6 months or so. (No, I don't have a Tesla so it doesn't affect me but I have seen numerous arbitration clauses in other products and services that do bother me.)
That seems to be somewhat unique to orders placed in the USA. I looked back and neither our M3P nor MYLR orders (from 2017 and 2022 respectively) have an arbitration clause. I say "somewhat" because our 2019 Cybertruck order does curiously have the arbitration clause.

Please no jabs that we made a Cybertruck reservation...