Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking on recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my M3 (vision only), I had some pretty bad phantom braking issues after the first software update. it was particularly sensitive to shadows of trees. Recalibrating the cameras helped immensely. if you’re having issues, try recalibrating the cameras. I think I tried to do it not on highways, but suburban type streets with some challenging shadows.

My MYP has been very good so far. I do wish it used radar, but I'm at a point where I can predict just about all of the unusual braking - I can’t call it “phantom” any more because I know what it’s sensitive to: hills that crest and fall away quickly, pedestrians/bikers on the shoulder, cars parked on the shoulder just a bit closer than they should be, cars crowding my lane and moving towards me. In all honesty, these are all valid things to be concerned about. The car is just more concerned than I would be if I was controlling the speed.

Vision is solving a problem that didn’t need to be solved.

In about 18 months of driving, I have only had a couple "phantom" braking events, and they have happened at the same spot a few times, and some other places. I have concluded that the car, for some reason, is radically changing the top speed settings. I don't know if it mistakenly thinks the speed limit has changed or what, but in all of the cases that I have seen,

My wife and I drove, to and back, from Santa Fe to Las Cruces, NM in FSD beta (about a 4-hour drive each way) on I25 and had around 10 phantom breaks. On one break I was traveling at 75 miles per hour and out of nowhere, the car abruptly breaked to 49 miles per hour for no foreseen reason. The car may have actually come to a complete stop, but I hit the accelerator at 49 miles per hour. Many of the other PB could have been just as bad, but I accelerated the car to prevent it from happening. If we were in heavy traffic, we could have caused an accident. My wife is afraid of FSD beta version 10.6.9.3.1, 2022.36.20. I know when on an Interstate the car is in Auto Pilot, not FSD beta, but that version gives you an idea of what software version is on my 2022 model S. Is this a common problem with other people? I know it is beta software, but this in downright scary.

My wife and I drove, to and back, from Santa Fe to Las Cruces, NM in FSD beta (about a 4-hour drive each way) on I25 and had around 10 phantom breaks. On one break I was traveling at 75 miles per hour and out of nowhere, the car abruptly breaked to 49 miles per hour for no foreseen reason. The car may have actually come to a complete stop, but I hit the accelerator at 49 miles per hour. Many of the other PB could have been just as bad, but I accelerated the car to prevent it from happening. If we were in heavy traffic, we could have caused an accident. My wife is afraid of FSD beta version 10.6.9.3.1, 2022.36.20. I know when on an Interstate the car is in Auto Pilot, not FSD beta, but that version gives you an idea of what software version is on my 2022 model S. Is this a common problem with other people? I know it is beta software, but this in downright scary.

Bob, I had a similar issue today while driving with my wife. It was very unpleasant and scary. I created a thread here about it because I didn't see this subforum: New 2023 Tesla Model Y - Major phantom breaking issues

The bug report feature only logs it so that when you bring your car into service, the tech can pull those logs. Phantom braking is a well known issue and other manufacturers suffer to varying degrees from it as well. In any case, Tesla is well aware of it.
Very true. We took delivery of a brand new ‘22 Toyota Sienna last year that my wife currently drives. Experienced “phantom braking” on a handful of occasions while backing up the vehicle from a parked position. The Sienna has a safety feature they refer to as the Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/ PD), which activated unexpectedly on a few occasions and was quite startling. We did not observe the physical presence of any nearby moving pedestrians or other vehicles around that might have potentially activated it. Granted, backing up at a snail’s pace and coming to an unexpected dead stop is nowhere near as heart-stopping as cruising at relatively high-speeds and experiencing sudden deceleration, so I can empathize with those who have experienced it. That said, the steering assist feature on the Sienna is not on the same level as Tesla’s AP, but the ACC does work very well.

As far as our ‘23 MYP (sans USS), I’ve only used AP a handful of times and have yet to experience a phantom braking incident. My daily commute includes a 30+ mile (round trip) strip of busy interstate. I’ll certainly continue to monitor it now that I’m aware people are having issues, but so far I have nothing negative to report.

I’ve been holding off on firmware updates ever since my 2021 MYLR (with radar, thanks) was going to be forced to Vision only for AP. But now there are some software features I’d like to have… but I’m far too concerned about phantom breaking still to go ahead and accept the updates. What’s the latest experience with Vision… should i still hold off? Thanks in advance.

I’ve been holding off on firmware updates ever since my 2021 MYLR (with radar, thanks) was going to be forced to Vision only for AP. But now there are some software features I’d like to have… but I’m far too concerned about phantom breaking still to go ahead and accept the updates. What’s the latest experience with Vision… should i still hold off? Thanks in advance.
IME, it's no worse than it was before and seems to be a little better.

I think I’ve had maybe 1 phantom braking incident in 18 months. I keep hearing worse stories. Can’t go backwards. Grrrr….
There are hundreds of thousands of Tesla drivers at this point. People who experience problems are going to be the most vocal about it online. The members of this group reporting issues is a relatively small sample size when compared how many are currently on the road. Only Tesla has access to the raw data and hard numbers, and we can only speculate how wide spread an issue is and what is currently being done to correct it. Update your software, stop worrying about it, and drive your Telsa. If you don’t trust AP then maybe use it sparingly in low traffic conditions. And if it does occur, note the conditions and schedule an appointment with your nearest service center.

I would update the software. You get more features and your vehicle will be better for it. Phantom braking affects many people. Some may not even be aware of it. And of course, not that many Tesla owners are on this forum. You'll have to learn to recognize when AP is most likely to false, and not use it in those situations. And even then, you'll still get phantom braking. Tesla for some reason, is unable to get it right when a vehicle like my Subaru Ascent has never phantom braked me.

I would update the software. You get more features and your vehicle will be better for it. Phantom braking affects many people. Some may not even be aware of it. And of course, not that many Tesla owners are on this forum. You'll have to learn to recognize when AP is most likely to false, and not use it in those situations. And even then, you'll still get phantom braking. Tesla for some reason, is unable to get it right when a vehicle like my Subaru Ascent has never phantom braked me.
I had variable speed cruise control in my Lexus hybrids for almost a decade. no problem. but they had radar. vision just seems like a supply chain issue that they tried to turn into a feature. never mind the lack of USS in new cars. crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
I had variable speed cruise control in my Lexus hybrids for almost a decade. no problem. but they had radar. vision just seems like a supply chain issue that they tried to turn into a feature. never mind the lack of USS in new cars. crazy.
Some of my worst phantom braking incidents were with radar. This last version has been solid so far.

I don't think Tesla's radar was great, tbh.

Just got home from a round trip from Denver to Albuquerque and back, all on I-25. Had maybe 4-5 relatively minor PB events on the way down, but had at least 12+ on the way back home, and a few of them were pretty hard slowdowns. Several of them were on open, flat, straight stretches of road going 75-80 with no other cars nearby. No shadows, no mirages, temps were only 55-60 degrees, literally no conceivable explanation for many of them. I'm seriously pissed off after over a year the car still does this out of the blue. In the past it was annoying, but today it totally unnerved me, to the point I'm considering selling the car.
Last 2 days, 17 miles each way on interstate; so 2 round trips. Experienced PB about 6 times..I would sell but the reduction in car price would kill my down payment

So are there any reports of anyone actually getting rear ended from a phantom braking event? So many people are sure they would have been hit if someone was behind them but somehow they lucked out I guess.
I saw that one story of the car that caused an eight car pileup, but that came to a complete stop, so it seems like something else was going on in that case.