Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking on recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last 2 days, 17 miles each way on interstate; so 2 round trips. Experienced PB about 6 times..I would sell but the reduction in car price would kill my down payment
I did a second trip back in December and it was much better, only a few brief slowdowns, nothing severe. I actually think the front facing camera is getting fooled by the small hills and dips on the highway, where you start to crest a small hill and a car that is pretty far away in front of you seems to appear from nowhere because of the relative angle of your sight line. I say that because I caught the car do 1 or 2 small slowdowns, and there was a flash of a car ahead of us on the screen, when the only cars we could see were hundreds of yards away. To me, radar would easily fix this. Give me the new high-res radar Elon!

Many similar stories, but I just have to vent. My wife’s 2021 MY has 18K miles and she loves it (but never uses cruise). I use cruise all the time.

Last month we were headed home around lunchtime, on cruise, at the 75mph speed limit on the 4-lane-wide interstate. I usually keep my foot on the pedal “just in case”. But this time I was just relaxing with a clear sky and cool temps, enjoying her great car, and my wife was casually sipping her Starbucks.

We were approaching an overpass and I assume the car interpreted the shadow beneath the overpass as a solid wall. Our car ranted a warning and concurrently slammed on the brakes harder than I thought possible, my wife screaming at me (thinking I was “the crazy”) and coffee splattered “everything in the cabin”. Fortunately, there was only one car in the nearby lane. I did not have enough mental clarity to see his facial expression as he flew by our stopped car. However, if there had been an 18-wheeler behind us, I do not think we would have survived the crash.

How can Tesla ignore this safety issue. At least send out a warning to stop using cruise till fixed.

We have a 2020 MYLR FSD beta with 44.6 K miles. We experienced many phantom braking events, too many to count. Recently, the Y brake or slow down when a police car or an emergency vehicle is detected by the car cameras. This happens when the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divided highway or on an adjacent road not connected to the highway. This is annoying, a human driver will never do this braking. Also here in GA, on the highway you have to move over a lane if a police car is stopped on the highway shoulder with its light ON. If you do not, you can be ticketed. The FSD ignore that rule and does not change lane (auto lane change is ON).

We have a 2020 MYLR FSD beta with 44.6 K miles. We experienced many phantom braking events, too many to count. Recently, the Y brake or slow down when a police car or an emergency vehicle is detected by the car cameras. This happens when the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divided highway or on an adjacent road not connected to the highway. This is annoying, a human driver will never do this braking. Also here in GA, on the highway you have to move over a lane if a police car is stopped on the highway shoulder with its light ON. If you do not, you can be ticketed. The FSD ignore that rule and does not change lane (auto lane change is ON).
While agreed this is annoying, it's not phantom braking if there is a known cause. The other behavior that really annoys me is that it aggressively slows down for cars in on ramps, that haven't merged into the travel lane, instead of properly passing by them and letting them merge in behind. While this annoying it's repeatable behavior and pretty easy to recognize that it's about to happen.

While agreed this is annoying, it's not phantom braking if there is a known cause. The other behavior that really annoys me is that it aggressively slows down for cars in on ramps, that haven't merged into the travel lane, instead of properly passing by them and letting them merge in behind. While this annoying it's repeatable behavior and pretty easy to recognize that it's about to happen.
is all of this behavior just when it's on Autopilot or FSD?

That's odd. I noticed that issue a LOT when I had FSD and nav on ap. Its like it was trying to merge, but sometimes would aggressively pick the wrong slot. I'm not sure that I've ever had it noticably happen with just TACC.
TACC is bad for me. It doesn't recognize a car safely parked on a 2 lane 55mph road on the side. It doesn't recognize that a bicyclist is safely riding on the shoulder. At first I accepted these and was ready to disengage. However, it's more stressful trying to anticipate bad moves. So I enjoy focusing on driving only.

Just wanted to throw my name in the mix

MYP I took delivery of on 1/21/23

Car had 140 miles on it this morning and 631 today.

I gave up on any form of autopilot, even cruise control after about 100 miles. 4 phantom braking incidents, 2 Bridge shadows and 2 where there was eaningly. I thing at all but the fsd preview showed a semi pop up in front of us

PS these cars hate the cold, I had 150-180 miles of range from 99% in -5 to -10f weather all day

Reactions: zoomer0056
Just completed 2000 + a miles road trip in MY 2023 (Dec) from Bay Area to LV to Page, AZ. I had multiple issues with Phantom braking. At first, I thought it could be because sunrise and it was directly in the camera's view but later on, the sun was behind me, and the same thing happened. The last 2 phantom braking incidents really scare *sugar* out of me, almost got rear-ended. After that, I did not use the Autopilot function at all. It is a problem, Tesla needs to fix it before people really get hurt.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Man, it really doesn't give any confidence in their ability to solve FSD if they can't manage adaptive cruise control. Perhaps they should start with baby steps and catch up with every other manufacturers cruise control before going full bore on FSD. The thing is that this has been going on for so long that I don't think it can actually be fixed.

I have a 20 LR with EAP, and most weekends do a 110 mile round-trip trip to NYC to visit my grown kids and one grandchild. I am usually on the Long Island Expressway or Northern State Parkway when it happens. Last weekend I had two unexpected episodes of phantom braking, and just last night one episode. If you are always ready to override the situation by punching the accelerator it is okay, I guess. But it seems a team of engineers should be brought in by Tesla leadership for a fresh set of eyes to review the issues of concern.

just put radar back into the cars. solved.
Not even. Owners of radar cars like mine have complained about phantom braking since the first models rolled out of Fremont. Not all were affected but several threads demonstrate PB is not a one-off problem for some owners and I am one of them. PB has gotten better and worse from software update to software update over time. It has not gone away, witness this thread. While never actually addressing the issue Tesla did say IIRC that its vision suite would eliminate phantom braking for those who experienced it. Well no, that didn’t happen either. Radar is apparently not a factor or at least not the overriding one in the PB equation. Maybe the HW4 suite will be a solution?

Reactions: andaconda