Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't find mention of my problem elsewhere on this forum:

Two Android tablets, one Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0?), the other newer (4.1). Both have "beta" Tesla app installed, on one, it was re-installed several times. In all cases, the app failes to accept keyins of user/password, the fields seem to be "greyed out". These tablets are wifi only, no cell phone connection. Remote control on the car is enabled. A guy at the Austin service center (which does have wifi) was stumped. He did demonstrate remote access of my car through his phone.

Has anyone else encounterd this? Or have a solution?

I was more trying to clarify that the OS version wasn't the problem.

I don't think it's the connection either; while the tablet is WiFi only, the phone app works whether I use WiFi or HSPA, and I doubt either is required to type in to the login screen.

My guess is that there are some slight input differences between a phone and a tablet (just as there are screen differences that require screen scaling or stretching or alternate layouts in the app); Tesla probably released their app without trying it on a tablet. I hadn't reported it because I wasn't planning on using my tablet; but I just reported it to help make sure they know.

I tried reading all of the posts and using the search to see if this problem has already been posted. Didn't find it. When using either my iPad or Android phone and looking at the Location, it will show real time data in the speed icon including the power and regen. The map moves smoothly and the speedometer is moving in real time. All this works great for about 10 seconds, then the speedo stops and the map gets real clunky, updating about every 10 seconds. If I hit any other icon at the bottom, then go back to Location, it works fine again for about 10 seconds.

update: it no longer updates in real time at all on my Android phone. Just periodic updates. Still does the real time update on my iPad for about 10 seconds then stops.

Anyone else seen this or have a fix?

Last edited:
I haven't waded through all 33 pages of this thread, so apologies if this is a repeat.

With the current version of the Android app (v1.0.30; 2/6/13) , I get a couple of anomalies:

1) When the app has been running in the background and i switch back to it, I'll just have the "spinning car halo" icon and it never connects. Killing the app and re-launching typically fixes this.

2) Sometimes the interior temperature display is not present on the climate page. Not just the temperature itself is not reported, the entire line of text is missing. Killing/launching the app doesn't seem to help. So far I've been successful in getting it to re-appear by toggling the vent open/closed all one times I've tried it...

My order is confirmed today. On the iPhone app, shouldn't I be able to log in at least? I thought I did this before, but when I use my email and password it says incorrect. On the website, I can login to my tesla without problem. Is this how it should be at this stage of the process?

My order is confirmed today. On the iPhone app, shouldn't I be able to log in at least? I thought I did this before, but when I use my email and password it says incorrect. On the website, I can login to my tesla without problem. Is this how it should be at this stage of the process?

Behavior changed in the last week. You should be able to log back in once you get a VIN #.

I take delivery of my car on Friday and when I log in to the app it just says my car is not active or linked. Is this normal? There is nothing on the app.

This makes me believe Tesla didn't link your VIN to your Tesla account. Contact ownership.

Edit: Just realized you get the car on Friday -- so, don't worry about it until then :)

Last edited: