Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app wont connect when car is Asleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can no longer wake my Model 3 using the phone app when it is asleep. If the car is idling (like when sentry is active) I can access it remotely with the phone app. But if is fully asleep the app cannot access it. My car is parked in a good signal area with LTE and WiFi available. Although once asleep the WiFi connection drops which is to be expected. Has anyone else had this and no how to fix it? When waking from the phone app I think the Tesla servers sends a command via the phone network to wake the car. Overseas people have reported their cars not waking was related to Tesla changing mobile carriers in their region. But they still use Telstra here so it is probably not that. Any ideas.

When it happened to me last year it was related to an issue with Telstra. I logged a service call with Tesla and they told me they were aware of the issue and just to wait for Telstra to resolve it.

Here is the old post

Tesla Software updates - Australia

A little workaround until they fix it.. if your Bluetooth key says connected, you can unlock/relock car and it will wake

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
When it happened to me last year it was related to an issue with Telstra. I logged a service call with Tesla and they told me they were aware of the issue and just to wait for Telstra to resolve it.

Here is the old post

Tesla Software updates - Australia
Ah cheers thanks. Forgot about that discussion and even that I had participated in it back then. KRAFT disease!

A little workaround until they fix it.. if your Bluetooth key says connected, you can unlock/relock car and it will wake
Good suggestion but wouldn't work for my usage case, with my car sitting in an airport carpark for a long period and me wanting to wake it from afar. Doing so at home when BT is connected would wake the car and the household as I have honk on unlock active!

I logged the fault in the Tesla app at 6am this morning with a service appointment getting created at Brighton VIC. Got a replay back in the app mid morning saying they are investigating the issue. Within several minutes I re checked and now the car is waking reliably from deep sleep. So they must have tweaked something to get the Poke SMS thingy working again. A very pleasing result.

Ah cheers thanks. Forgot about that discussion and even that I had participated in it back then. KRAFT disease!

Good suggestion but wouldn't work for my usage case, with my car sitting in an airport carpark for a long period and me wanting to wake it from afar. Doing so at home when BT is connected would wake the car and the household as I have honk on unlock active!

I logged the fault in the Tesla app at 6am this morning with a service appointment getting created at Brighton VIC. Got a replay back in the app mid morning saying they are investigating the issue. Within several minutes I re checked and now the car is waking reliably from deep sleep. So they must have tweaked something to get the Poke SMS thingy working again. A very pleasing result.
It’s been a while. This still working for you? I have the original issue in this thread with my 2022 S.

Happening to my 3LR since one or two updates back.

If I am out of bluetooth range, I can no longer do climate things or lock/unlock or anything else using the App.

It's 85 steps down to the garage (which has good WiFi and LTE). So a mild pain.

I have lodged a service call and we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: WilliamG
I’m having the same issue with my MSLR - gonna make for a long winter if I can’t use the app to preheat before departure… :-(
If your car has Sentry enabled you’ll still be able to connect remotely since the car isn’t asleep. If it doesn’t (for example at home in your garage) you’ll still be able to unlock the car from your phone via BT (I can do this anywhere in my house) which will wake the car up for preheating ease.

It’s been a while. This still working for you? I have the original issue in this thread with my 2022 S.
It is working fine for me now, but it took me a little longer to get it fixed properly. When I previously posted in this thread, they got it working again by doing stuff on their server side. They could see the poke SMS messages were not getting sent by the Telco. However the issue returned and I reported it again last August. This time they reckoned it was a firmware issue on the cars modem. They tried unsuccessfully to reflash the modem but the process failed. So instead they replaced the connectivity card which contained a new modem along with the newer firmware and all good since.

It is working fine for me now, but it took me a little longer to get it fixed properly. When I previously posted in this thread, they got it working again by doing stuff on their server side. They could see the poke SMS messages were not getting sent by the Telco. However the issue returned and I reported it again last August. This time they reckoned it was a firmware issue on the cars modem. They tried unsuccessfully to reflash the modem but the process failed. So instead they replaced the connectivity card which contained a new modem along with the newer firmware and all good since.
Thank you for the update. I assume this wasn’t a mobile job, - day in service?

My car was asleep for 4 days and I could not wake via the App (out of BT range). I just went to the car and woke it up from the App. So Bluetooth is okay. Now downloading and installing 2022.28.2 Then I am going to put it asleep again and check the waking up. I am also going to disconnect the WiFi and see if it has LTE connectivity. I do have a mobile service appointment for this Thursday. But I am assuming my problem is the same as Flatbat's problem in that the pokes are not being detected. I cannot see any LTE icons on any screen but this could be because the WiFi being connected means LTE is relegated. So, a few more things to check with the service call as a backup. I think everyone with this problem should log a service call because it seems that the problem is not just one or two people. I cannot imagine it is wholesale failure of LTE modems so maybe most cases are the LTE modem going to sleep after a SW update and then being "stuck" off.

My car was asleep for 4 days and I could not wake via the App (out of BT range). I just went to the car and woke it up from the App. So Bluetooth is okay. Now downloading and installing 2022.28.2 Then I am going to put it asleep again and check the waking up. I am also going to disconnect the WiFi and see if it has LTE connectivity. I do have a mobile service appointment for this Thursday. But I am assuming my problem is the same as Flatbat's problem in that the pokes are not being detected. I cannot see any LTE icons on any screen but this could be because the WiFi being connected means LTE is relegated. So, a few more things to check with the service call as a backup. I think everyone with this problem should log a service call because it seems that the problem is not just one or two people. I cannot imagine it is wholesale failure of LTE modems so maybe most cases are the LTE modem going to sleep after a SW update and then being "stuck" off.
Please do keep us posted. Curious if updating solves it. That said, did you have this problem before the past 4 days asleep?

Last edited:
Update:

1. Yes, the problem has been there for some weeks. Probably about when 2022.28.1 got installed. Looking at Teslamate, I knew that the car has not been doing it's daily 30min wakeup that used to occur regularly. I had thought that was a software improvement from Tesla. But maybe not......maybe it was the same problem as the App not waking up the car.

2. After installing 2022.28.2 this morning, I left it unlocked in the garage (where there is a WiFi access point and reasonable LTE reception). After an hour, I noted that it disconnected from WiFi (this info from my home WiFi network monitoring). TeslaMate also reported it was asleep.

I waited a while, ensured the car was definitely not on WiFi and I was well out of BT range. Hey Presto! The App awoke the car, which then connected to Wifi and I could do all the things I have done in the past (open windows a bit, set the climate et al). So, the "pokes" over LTE are arriving and being detected again.

So it is looking like the problem has gone away. But I shall continue to check and see if the car wakes by itself tomorrow.

While it was asleep the most recent time (over 4 days) the Battery went from 77% to 77%! Great vampire drain result.

Update:

1. Yes, the problem has been there for some weeks. Probably about when 2022.28.1 got installed. Looking at Teslamate, I knew that the car has not been doing it's daily 30min wakeup that used to occur regularly. I had thought that was a software improvement from Tesla. But maybe not......maybe it was the same problem as the App not waking up the car.

2. After installing 2022.28.2 this morning, I left it unlocked in the garage (where there is a WiFi access point and reasonable LTE reception). After an hour, I noted that it disconnected from WiFi (this info from my home WiFi network monitoring). TeslaMate also reported it was asleep.

I waited a while, ensured the car was definitely not on WiFi and I was well out of BT range. Hey Presto! The App awoke the car, which then connected to Wifi and I could do all the things I have done in the past (open windows a bit, set the climate et al). So, the "pokes" over LTE are arriving and being detected again.

So it is looking like the problem has gone away. But I shall continue to check and see if the car wakes by itself tomorrow.

While it was asleep the most recent time (over 4 days) the Battery went from 77% to 77%! Great vampire drain result.

That's interesting results, thank you. I'm on 2022.24.5 (later versions introduce buzzing sounds on the refresh S at least), so I have had 2022.24.6 and now 2022.28.2 pending to be installed, that I'm waiting on. My car is still waking up every 5 hours as usual, according to TeslaMate, for about a half hour or so. I just can't connect to the car when it's asleep unless it's via BT or using the keycard. I spoke to Tesla support and they were unable to ping the car when it's asleep, whether it was last connected to WiFi or not. As I'm aware that shouldn't make a difference, as the car disconnects from wifi when it goes to sleep anyway.

So, maybe my problem will be solved with an update, but... I'd rather live with this annoyance than a buzzing car 100% of the time... Anyway, my car is waking up, though, by itself, so that's something...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 5.50.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 5.50.48 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 102
So, maybe my problem will be solved with an update, but... I'd rather live with this annoyance than a buzzing car 100% of the time... Anyway, my car is waking up, though, by itself, so that's something...
Interesting!
I am fascinated that your S woke/wakes every 5hrs whereas my 3LR used to be every 24hrs.
Buzzing sounds very tedious. Being an S Plaid, perhaps it is "raring to go" and "champing at the bit" and tired of all that sleeping?