Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as a key stopped working suddenly (April 2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my phone stopped working as a key after 8 months of ownership.

There was abew app update three days ago that says the key card is no longer required for pairing. I haven't paired any new keys in many months. But could this be related??

I've restarted my phone. I've restarted the screen. I've force quit the app and restarted it.

The lock setting page on the car screen says it hasn't seen my phone key since 12:09am last night. Nothing this morning or afternoon. I've had to use my key card all day (or use the app to lock/unlock and remote start).

The app shows car status and can send commands to the car.

Any ideas?

Iphone 14 pro with Tesla app 4.20.69.
IMG_3506.jpeg

Delete app power cycle install app
I've had issues with the phone app failing frequently on my one phone, a Samsung Flip phone. (Other family members don't have this problem).The only fix is to power down the phone, delete the phone key from the screen and start the "add phone as key" process. It will not work unless I power cycle the phone. Then after going the process, the phone will work as a key for maybe a day, maybe a few days.
Samsung phone will be history shortly.

I will try deleting the app and reinstalling once I get home. I’m on a trip far from home and this suddenly started happening so I have to start the car from the app command.
I never leave home without a key card. I use the phone app ( which with the latest Android update on my Samsung, the problem went away) for day to day operations, but there is always a card key handy. Did you carry a spare key to your other car?

I never leave home without a key card. I use the phone app ( which with the latest Android update on my Samsung, the problem went away) for day to day operations, but there is always a card key handy. Did you carry a spare key to your other car?
I always carry the Tesla key card with me. It’s in my wallet. However, I always use the phone as a key. Anyways, the issue self resolved. Next day when I got in the car it started normally for no apparent reason. So I don’t know what happened or why.

My phone will sometimes close the Tesla app. I think that's when I cannot use the phone as key. There may be settings on your phone that will help.
That was my issue with the Samsung Android phone. There was some abstruse setting that appeared to use Reverse Polish Notation (HP calculator fans unite!). I actually had a phone conversation with a Tesla service rep who pointed it out to me. If you can't get aholt of Tesla by voice, go to your phone provider and tell them that there is an app that must run in the background no exception.
Good Luck!

I just hit this twice in a row. Reinstalled app and it worked, but next day had to do it again. This is for a 2018 Tesla Model 3 that never had issues with phone to unlock and drive.
Check to see if there is a setting to allow certain apps to run continuously, which may have gotten changed. This happened to me in my Galaxy Android phone. One of the more knowledgeable Tesla service guys walked me through my phone, he had had the issue previously.

Check to see if there is a setting to allow certain apps to run continuously, which may have gotten changed. This happened to me in my Galaxy Android phone. One of the more knowledgeable Tesla service guys walked me through my phone, he had had the issue previously.
I'll try that (iPhone), but this happens even with the app open. Just happened again today and had to delete/reinstall app to make it work.

My phone does not unlock once every month or two. Most of the time, turning off Bluetooth and turning it back on (on the phone) fixes it. I have traced most issues to something going on with the phone, Pixel 6A, but it is not common enough to be more than slightly irritating.

The card is your key. The phone is just a convenience. Always carry the card.

Reactions: drdumont
I'll try that (iPhone), but this happens even with the app open. Just happened again today and had to delete/reinstall app to make it work.
If you have an iPhone, you need to give the Tesla app permission to use location services 'always'.

Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services. Make sure Location Services is on, then scroll down to the Tesla app and select it. Then select 'Always'. I would also select 'Precise Location' but not sure if this is actually required.

You may get periodic alerts from the iPhone that Tesla is set to 'always'. Just acknowledge it and move on. For the phone key to work 'always' needs to be selected.

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont