Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't you just go to the app and remotely unlock/start the model 3 without using BT/phone-as-key? I got my model 3 Saturday so I haven't tried this yet, but I have forgotten my keys to my Model S and I can open the app and unlock/start it and drive without the key. My model S doesn't have the phone-as-key system.

Probably. Most of the time. That's the real crux of the issue. The phone-as-key works most of the time. And "most of the time" is just not good enough. I have not tried opening the car this way more than 3 or 4 times. So I cannot judge how reliable it will be.

Note, however, that what you are suggesting requires that both the car and the phone have internet service. If you are in a remote location without internet service that will not work. Or if a glitch in either the car or the phone is preventing internet connectivity, it will not work. As above, it will work most of the time.

The Prius fob works all of the time, and if the battery dies it has a physical key hidden inside, and you can drive by sliding it into the slot.

But to give credit where it is due: One good point about the phone-as-key: Assuming you are in a location with cell service, and assuming the car has service*, if you are locked out you can try to borrow a phone from someone, download the Tesla app onto their phone, log into your account, and remotely unlock the car. Then delete the app from their phone, or at least log out of your account so they cannot remotely jigger your car later.

* When I was driving in Canada last summer, there were many towns where my Verizon phone had service, but my car did not. Apparently my U.S. car was using a cellular service with really lousy coverage when it was in Canada.

Probably. Most of the time. That's the real crux of the issue. The phone-as-key works most of the time. And "most of the time" is just not good enough. I have not tried opening the car this way more than 3 or 4 times. So I cannot judge how reliable it will be.

Note, however, that what you are suggesting requires that both the car and the phone have internet service. If you are in a remote location without internet service that will not work. Or if a glitch in either the car or the phone is preventing internet connectivity, it will not work. As above, it will work most of the time.

The Prius fob works all of the time, and if the battery dies it has a physical key hidden inside, and you can drive by sliding it into the slot.

But to give credit where it is due: One good point about the phone-as-key: Assuming you are in a location with cell service, and assuming the car has service*, if you are locked out you can try to borrow a phone from someone, download the Tesla app onto their phone, log into your account, and remotely unlock the car. Then delete the app from their phone, or at least log out of your account so they cannot remotely jigger your car later.

* When I was driving in Canada last summer, there were many towns where my Verizon phone had service, but my car did not. Apparently my U.S. car was using a cellular service with really lousy coverage when it was in Canada.

Did you not get the little cards that open the car and start the car that you keep in your wallet as a backup if the phone thing fails? I got 2 of them with my model 3. My model S has fobs.

For me, since I got the car in Jan, my iPhone (XS) as a key as been 100% reliable - I have never once had to unlock my car (or lock, or drive) with the card-key. I used it once to make sure it worked at delivery, put it in my wallet and it's been there ever since.

I also always keep my phone on the "latest" software. And I carry my phone in my front pocket (it seems that back-pock-carriers have issues)

I think it's a relatively known thing at this point that Andriod seems to have issues in this regard requiring some settings tweaking to improve, but not solve completely.

Did you not get the little cards that open the car and start the car that you keep in your wallet as a backup if the phone thing fails? I got 2 of them with my model 3. My model S has fobs.
If we had fobs (proper walk up unlock fobs, not 2008 must click to unlock fobs) like S/X then I don't think anyone would care about the phone-as-app being unreliable. But instead we get worse than decade old budget car functionality by default (can't walk up unlock, can't even remote unlock, must swipe and be on the driver's side of the vehicle to do so), and if phone-as-key isn't working for you, your only other option is to pay extra for an overpriced fob that can't walk up unlock either, and is no better than my 2008 Mazda 3 (a car that was almost a third of the price of my 3).

Even if we had to pay extra for fobs but the fobs were like S/X, I think most people would be okay with the situation, even if not totally satisfied in that they had to pay extra. But after we clamored for S/X style fobs, Tesla then slapped us in the face with fobs that lack modern functionality.

Reactions: kavyboy

Yes. I got them. The problem is that I almost never need them. So one day I will forget them. I don't carry a wallet. I have a bit of cash along with my credit card and driver's license in my pocket. I hate having a bulky wallet in my pocket when all I need are my driver's license and credit card. And rarely, a bit of cash. And if I did have a wallet, I would forget that.

Note: With the Prius, I could not start the car without the fob. If I forgot the fob I had to go back in the house and get it. And then it never failed. The Tesla does not need the card to start, because most of the time the phone works. So I forget to bring the card. But the phone is only good enough to make you complacent. Then when you forget the card, the phone will decide not to work.

Yes. I got them. The problem is that I almost never need them. So one day I will forget them. I don't carry a wallet. I have a bit of cash along with my credit card and driver's license in my pocket. I hate having a bulky wallet in my pocket when all I need are my driver's license and credit card. And rarely, a bit of cash. And if I did have a wallet, I would forget that.

If you plan to carry your DL, CC, and a small amount of cash anyways, and don't want a bulky regular wallet, there's plenty of compact options which you could do that with and also carry the RFID card (since it's CC sized) for practically no increase in bulk.

I can understand not wanting to carry around a wallet, but to then still carry cash + DL and CC loose would drive me nuts.

If you plan to carry your DL, CC, and a small amount of cash anyways, and don't want a bulky regular wallet, there's plenty of compact options which you could do that with and also carry the RFID card (since it's CC sized) for practically no increase in bulk.

I can understand not wanting to carry around a wallet, but to then still carry cash + DL and CC loose would drive me nuts.

They go in the pocket of my shirt. No bother at all. But I can forget them sometimes. :(

You might want to check out this video:

The Tesla key card is basically some plastic around a much smaller microchip and a loop of antenna. In theory, it should be possible to re-fashion it into another shape, although there are limits based on size and geometry. I've toyed with the idea of embedding one in a wristwatch strap, for instance, but I've never worked up the motivation to experiment. (Unlike you, I do carry a wallet, so it's not too much of a hassle to keep the key card on me.) Fortunately, the Tesla key cards are cheap, so you can destroy a bunch of them in experiments without breaking the bank (assuming you can afford a Model 3 to begin with).

• Love
Reactions: Dylankjustice
You might want to check out this video:

The Tesla key card is basically some plastic around a much smaller microchip and a loop of antenna. In theory, it should be possible to re-fashion it into another shape, although there are limits based on size and geometry. I've toyed with the idea of embedding one in a wristwatch strap, for instance, but I've never worked up the motivation to experiment. (Unlike you, I do carry a wallet, so it's not too much of a hassle to keep the key card on me.) Fortunately, the Tesla key cards are cheap, so you can destroy a bunch of them in experiments without breaking the bank (assuming you can afford a Model 3 to begin with).

Yeah, I saw that. I suppose I could imbed one of those in the back of my hand, but I'm not quite ready for that. Putting it in a wristwatch strap would work but wouldn't solve the problem because sometimes I forget my wristwatch. :confused:

I hate bulky wallets as well that is why I carry a card holder, every brand makes one and they are pretty cheap.

Herschel Supply Co. Charlie RFID Card Case | Nordstrom

From your link:

Durable construction and RFID shielding make this slim card case a versatile, utilitarian choice.

:eek:

Yeah, I saw that. I suppose I could imbed one of those in the back of my hand, but I'm not quite ready for that. Putting it in a wristwatch strap would work but wouldn't solve the problem because sometimes I forget my wristwatch. :confused:

From your link:

:eek:

They have RFID shielding so that random receivers can't read all of your cards as you walk by. The intent is that if you want to use the card you need to take it out.

They have RFID shielding so that random receivers can't read all of your cards as you walk by. The intent is that if you want to use the card you need to take it out.

So I first have to take the card holder out of my pocket and then take the card out of the card holder. That's twice as much work as just taking the card out of my pocket. And I'll still forget the card holder sometimes. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: GTIceman

Another thought: If you keep your phone in a case of some sort, you might be able to slide the Tesla keycard into it, too. I just tried this myself, and it works fine with the case I use with my OnePlus 5t; it doesn't even obstruct the fingerprint reader. I bet the keycard would even work through the phone case, although I've not tested that for mine. I'm thinking of doing this with my second keycard since it'd make for easier entry when the phone-as-key fails than turning on the phone, unlocking it, fumbling with the app, etc. Of course, this solution would be useless to protect against the phone being stolen or lost, but it'd still serve as protection against the battery failing or other technological glitches.

Another thought: If you keep your phone in a case of some sort, you might be able to slide the Tesla keycard into it, too. I just tried this myself, and it works fine with the case I use with my OnePlus 5t; it doesn't even obstruct the fingerprint reader. I bet the keycard would even work through the phone case, although I've not tested that for mine. I'm thinking of doing this with my second keycard since it'd make for easier entry when the phone-as-key fails than turning on the phone, unlocking it, fumbling with the app, etc. Of course, this solution would be useless to protect against the phone being stolen or lost, but it'd still serve as protection against the battery failing or other technological glitches.
Thats actually a good thought, I know I've seen cases with pockets for cards on them. There's full on wallet cases too, but the slim ones with space for just a couple of cards are probably more applicable to @daniel 's needs.

That's a really good idea! Too bad I don't keep my phone in a case. o_O

Reactions: srs5694