Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone - calling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or is this too many screen touches? First to bring up the sub menu, then second to select the phone - the phone icon should be a permanent icon on the horizontal bar at the bottom surely?

Also, the screen that then shows with Favourites/Recent calls etc. is over the far side of the screen (I'm in the UK), so I have to reach further to touch the number I should need to. If it was nearer to the drivers side it would be easier to select the number. One more small detail. On the recent calls phone number section, touching any part of the name/number makes the call. Not so the favourite section, where it needs the actual (very) small phone icon touched.

I know, I know, these are small gripes, but they would be easy to correct.

I’ve always thought Tesla should allow us to rearrange the icons at the bottom of the screen. In Florida, I can count on one hand the number of times I used my seat heaters yet they take up two icon slots! I would love to change them to the energy app and phone. I would also like to rearrange the order and have some closer to me. Maybe in a future update.

One “hidden” trick is to use the swipe up method to avoid at least one press. Rest your finger on the bar icon and swipe upwards. That will being the last used app to the surface. So if you used the phone last, swipe up and it will bring the phone app to the top without having to press the app icon first, release, the press the phone icon. Once you start using it, it can be useful (also works for music icon and a few others with some actually working horizontally like the temp and volume icons).

Still, voice control works pretty good and can turn your multiple presses into just a single one, and a press on the steering wheel at that. It’s not perfect, the recognition can be spotty, but found it certainly can make some of the more cumbersome operations less so touch screen wise.

• Love
Reactions: garth_angst
Personally I just say call “contact “ and it calls them. Voice can be a great shortcut.

It can be- except doesn't appear to be able to handle mutliple #s for a contact... so if I say 'Call bob' it pops up on screen with their home and mobile and I have to tap one on the screen... trying "call bob mobile" or "call bob home" doesn't work to directly call the appropriate #

It can be- except doesn't appear to be able to handle mutliple #s for a contact... so if I say 'Call bob' it pops up on screen with their home and mobile and I have to tap one on the screen... trying "call bob mobile" or "call bob home" doesn't work to directly call the appropriate #
I guess in that case you'll have to set up separate contact entries for Bob, one for his home and the other for his mobile.

I guess in that case you'll have to set up separate contact entries for Bob, one for his home and the other for his mobile.

Or Tesla could make a non-garbage voice command set like every other voice assist system I'm familiar with that recognizes different numbers for the same contacts...I mean the system ALREADY KNOWS there's more than one number other wise it couldn't screen prompt you to pick one- just let me VOICE select that.

I suppose that's less likely than my just double-entering all my contacts though :)

Or Tesla could make a non-garbage voice command set like every other voice assist system I'm familiar with that recognizes different numbers for the same contacts...I mean the system ALREADY KNOWS there's more than one number other wise it couldn't screen prompt you to pick one- just let me VOICE select that.

I suppose that's less likely than my just double-entering all my contacts though :)
Yeah, not ideal, but maybe just do double-entries for your most frequently called contacts who have multiple numbers?

Personally I just say call “contact “ and it calls them. Voice can be a great shortcut.

I don’t even know where the list of contacts or favorites are in any car I’ve had in the last decade. For most common contacts I call I create duplicate contacts with just one phone number and a nick name so don’t I don’t have to choose from a list of candidates or have to say mobile vs work (which doesn’t work well in Tesla’s). I just say “Call Mom” or “Call Bob”. And it goes straight to dialing.

I also always mount my phone. So on my IPhone X if I hold the power button in, it will prompt with Siri through the Car Microphone and I can say “Call Nearest Best Buy”