Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone charges, but not when totally depleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Went out this morning for a short errand (and a hearty balanced breakfast of a bagel). Didn't bother to put iphone on the mat - short trip. After stopping at first location and coming back, decided to pre-order my coffee (next stop) but my phone was dead. Musta forgot to plug in overnight. Had to present my card to enter car.
In the car, I uhhh... mounted the phone in it's place on the mat. Phone responded, kinda. I just got the dim pic of a red battery and a cable plug which says "Ya need to plug it in stupid". After several attempts and switching to other mat plug, no success. Left it plugged in for the rest of the errands hoping it might charge somewhat. Nope.

So, got home - plugged in to the computer, it started charging, fine. After a time, at about 60% charge, I took it with me for another drive. Put the phone on the mat plug and it started charging as normal.

Maybe the car has to recognize Bluetooth before it will power the phone? Being completely depleted the phone would have shut down - bluetooth with it. Doesn't sound reasonable - but can think of no other reason it wouldn't charge the first time.

Went out this morning for a short errand (and a hearty balanced breakfast of a bagel). Didn't bother to put iphone on the mat - short trip. After stopping at first location and coming back, decided to pre-order my coffee (next stop) but my phone was dead. Musta forgot to plug in overnight. Had to present my card to enter car.
In the car, I uhhh... mounted the phone in it's place on the mat. Phone responded, kinda. I just got the dim pic of a red battery and a cable plug which says "Ya need to plug it in stupid". After several attempts and switching to other mat plug, no success. Left it plugged in for the rest of the errands hoping it might charge somewhat. Nope.

So, got home - plugged in to the computer, it started charging, fine. After a time, at about 60% charge, I took it with me for another drive. Put the phone on the mat plug and it started charging as normal.

Maybe the car has to recognize Bluetooth before it will power the phone? Being completely depleted the phone would have shut down - bluetooth with it. Doesn't sound reasonable - but can think of no other reason it wouldn't charge the first time.
The change to the red battery icon shows that the car side of the charger was on. (And might mean that the phone was attempting to charge)

I'm not an iPhone guy, but from some searching, 30 minutes on a 5W (not sure what 3 uses) wireless pad only gives 15-17% charge. So 2 minutes per percent.
Did you try moving the phone to get best alignment to the mat? Does your phone have a case? Either of those could reduce charging power.

Thanx for the tips. I did seat as best I could. Was plugged in for about 30 min total - still nothing.

Thing is.... I don't really want to repeat the symptoms to troubleshoot it. Wary. I was hoping for an answer from someone who has seen this or knows that this happens cuz the phone is completely down to its lowest.

It's the built in mat which has 2 cables which are replaceable. User can choose which type of cable/plug for the phone. Cables are routed from two USB ports to a holder where the mat slips in behind the two plugs. The phone(s) then plugs into the port and rests on the mat.

Haven't tried the rear ports, but will keep a cable handy to plug in if ever happens to deplete entirely again.

I believe the front ports are 1A, and will take an inordinate amount of time to get past the red battery symbol and boot from off. The rear ports are 2.1A and will kick it back into life quicker.
1A at the standard USB 5V = 5W of power, which is the same amount as the standard iPhone USB wall charger that comes with the phone. The rear ports will provide similar power to that of a 10W iPad charger. Both 1A and 2.1A provide plenty of juice for phone charging.

1A at the standard USB 5V = 5W of power, which is the same amount as the standard iPhone USB wall charger that comes with the phone. The rear ports will provide similar power to that of a 10W iPad charger. Both 1A and 2.1A provide plenty of juice for phone charging.

You’re correct, and restating what I did in terms of power. The question was how long does it take to get back from flat battery using standard iPhone charger amount of power VS iPad charger?