Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to extend the lightning jack so it will work with my iPhone X in the case? I didn’t remember this was an issue previously until I put it in my car for the first time. I would rather not spend more money on the Apple case.

On this topic but not really, does the iphone X work with the large "ears" for the phone dock or are they too big? I'm switching from a 6 Plus so I have the small ones in now that work with the bigger phone.

On this topic but not really, does the iphone X work with the large "ears" for the phone dock or are they too big? I'm switching from a 6 Plus so I have the small ones in now that work with the bigger phone.

The ‘ears’ designed for the iPhone 6/7/8 do not work with my X without a case. The opening is too small for the phone to fit in. Right now I have the ears designed for the 6+/7+/8+ and the X fits, but obviously the opening is too wide and doesn’t really provide any support for the phone.

Reactions: ucmndd
The ‘ears’ designed for the iPhone 6/7/8 do not work with my X without a case. The opening is too small for the phone to fit in. Right now I have the ears designed for the 6+/7+/8+ and the X fits, but obviously the opening is too wide and doesn’t really provide any support for the phone.

Thanks for saving me some time experimenting!

There are two different height tabs in the phone dock cable mount you can choose from when screwing down the lightning cable. I recently just changed mine to the shallow tab to force the lightning plug to stick out more. This should help make a connection with a case that is not too thick.

Reactions: Gt1948
There are two different height tabs in the phone dock cable mount you can choose from when screwing down the lightning cable. I recently just changed mine to the shallow tab to force the lightning plug to stick out more. This should help make a connection with a case that is not too thick.
Any pics of this? I had the right one for my phone from day one; I didn’t have to mess with it.

Adding another tangent: has anyone considered putting an inductive charger there instead of the lighting cable? I’m on a 7 now, will go to a 8 or X soon and thought about having the induction charger replace the wired connection.

What are these “ears”?

I couldn't think of a better term for them... the phone dock kit comes with two sets of plastic rails or "ears" that can be fitted to the sides of the phone dock to accommodate different sized phones. One set is more or less "iphone 6/7/8" sized, and the other is "iphone 6/7/8 plus" sized.

These things:

maxresdefault.jpg

Adding another tangent: has anyone considered putting an inductive charger there instead of the lighting cable? I’m on a 7 now, will go to a 8 or X soon and thought about having the induction charger replace the wired connection.

I don’t really see a point to using an inductive charger for this application. Inductive chargers are less efficient, so it will charge slower than a wired charger. Since the phone gets plugged in automatically as you place it in the dock I don’t think there’s really any benefit to going wireless and slower charging is a definite drawback, especially if you’re trying to add power to your phone on a short trip.

Wireless charging does have it’s place. For example, being able to set the phone on a pad on your nightstand is definitely easier than trying to grab a cable and plug it in every evening. And if you charge overnight anyway then the slower charging speed is less of an issue as you’ll have plenty of time to get a full charge while you sleep.