Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key in car - lock with key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching, but nothing. Have an unusual situation with car locking and need advice.

I use my phone as phone key 99% of the time. Have my key card in wallet, which I really don't carry around most of the time.

When I meet up wtih my run group at a trail head, I "prefer" to leave my phone in the car, and run without the phone. So I thought I can just carry the key card. But found out that car locks fine wtih key card (and phone inside car), but unlocks without key card when the phone is inside (I am assuming it is detecting phone "near" car)! Any way around this?

I imagine turning off phone BT before I exit car is one way to do this, but seems rather strange to have to go through that I would have assumed that car knows phone is inside (and not outside). So would NOT unlock.

Reactions: jacksterCali
No, bluetooth technology cannot accurately detect if the phone is just inside or just outside of a door.

It used to be that you would leave your phone in the car and manually lock the car via the screen while exiting, then the car would ignore the phone-as-key. However, I just tried it and that does not seem to be the case any more. <sigh> Another thing Tesla appears to have changed in a software update.

Unless I'm really missing something, you'll need to disable your phone-as-key function if you want to leave your phone in the car. Turning off you're phone's bluetooth would be the quickest way to do this.

I'm a runner too, but I prefer to carry my phone with me (arm band) for my own safety during the run.

No, bluetooth technology cannot accurately detect if the phone is just inside or just outside of a door.

It used to be that you would leave your phone in the car and manually lock the car via the screen while exiting, then the car would ignore the phone-as-key. However, I just tried it and that does not seem to be the case any more. <sigh> Another thing Tesla appears to have changed in a software update.

Unless I'm really missing something, you'll need to disable your phone-as-key function if you want to leave your phone in the car. Turning off you're phone's bluetooth would be the quickest way to do this.

I'm a runner too, but I prefer to carry my phone with me (arm band) for my own safety during the run.
Brian, thanks! I guess I'll turn off BT...

and I too like to run with the phone. but use my Apple Watch, which has phone function, so typically take calls and/or text etc. with the watch. Then I can run light without a phone belt or arm band. BTW, the phone waist belt works really well - I used to be an arm band person...

If it existed, might have been removed to prevent people locking themselves out. For most people it is better to have car unlocked (or openable with door handle pull) than to be locked out.

Runner here too.. can’t say enough good things about Apple Watch with the Tesla watch app. Same functionality as a phone. Highly recommend..
So there isn't a "Tesla" oem app, but you are talking about third party one called "Watch app for Tesla"? It's $19.99 - just checking that this is the one you are talking about and that "third party" app is ok?

Also, then the "watch" is a separate key (and then needs a profile?) or simply associated with my phone and profile.

Probably very newbie and naive questions!

I tried searching, but nothing. Have an unusual situation with car locking and need advice.

I use my phone as phone key 99% of the time. Have my key card in wallet, which I really don't carry around most of the time.

When I meet up wtih my run group at a trail head, I "prefer" to leave my phone in the car, and run without the phone. So I thought I can just carry the key card. But found out that car locks fine wtih key card (and phone inside car), but unlocks without key card when the phone is inside (I am assuming it is detecting phone "near" car)! Any way around this?

I imagine turning off phone BT before I exit car is one way to do this, but seems rather strange to have to go through that I would have assumed that car knows phone is inside (and not outside). So would NOT unlock.
Yeah you have to turn off BT on your phone .. easiest was is via Airplane mode but be careful as these days Airplane mode does not always mean BT is totally off on some phone models. And let's be fair .. it's not really that much of an inconvenience to tap a few things on your phone before leaving it! (and, of course, put it someplace secure like the frunk!).

Reactions: KhanMan
So there isn't a "Tesla" oem app, but you are talking about third party one called "Watch app for Tesla"? It's $19.99 - just checking that this is the one you are talking about and that "third party" app is ok?

Also, then the "watch" is a separate key (and then needs a profile?) or simply associated with my phone and profile.

The watch apps used to only use the network api, so needed the watch & car to have good network connection.

I’ve read newer watch app versions can connect via Bluetooth fur some car models, but haven’t tried it. I have a 2016 S that has the old non-bluetooth fob and no key card.

I do use watch for Tesla, but only occasionally.

Yeah, the $20 Watch app for Tesla is very slick. Apple Watch is a separate key, needs own profile. I just used same key card as my phone . Watch app has all the functionality of Tesla phone app as far I can tell. I was worried about 3rd party thing, but it works well. Actually, it connects to the car faster than the Tesla phone app. You unlock car by pressing lock within Watch app, get in, and drive away. It’s really been nice to be able to leave phone at home, still drive, especially for work outs.

You can save voice commands as well, although I haven’t gotten into that yet. There’s YouTube vids about voice commands.

Yeah, the $20 Watch app for Tesla is very slick. Apple Watch is a separate key, needs own profile. I just used same key card as my phone . Watch app has all the functionality of Tesla phone app as far I can tell. I was worried about 3rd party thing, but it works well. Actually, it connects to the car faster than the Tesla phone app. You unlock car by pressing lock within Watch app, get in, and drive away. It’s really been nice to be able to leave phone at home, still drive, especially for work outs.

You can save voice commands as well, although I haven’t gotten into that yet. There’s YouTube vids about voice commands.
Awesome to know. Will be getting this tonight and setting up! I love not having to take the phone with me for quick errands etc. So this will be really nice to implement. Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback!!

• Helpful
Reactions: Sambub
As a former runner, I also disliked having my larger Apple iPhone Pro Max with me: Here is what I recommend, and I have all 3 options below with an Apple Watch with Cellular activated. You do not need watch/cellular to unlock Tesla (BT works), but it is nice to have cellular activated on higher priced models in case of an emergency and use the Apple Watch as a phone in case one wants to text or make a call while away on a long run away from the paired iPhone.

With one's phone securely stored in the Tesla's glovebox (PIN to open) out of sight and phone's security passcode enabled:

Last edited:
As a former runner, I also disliked having my larger Apple iPhone Pro Max with me: Here is what I recommend, and I have all 3 options below with an Apple Watch with Cellular activated. You do not need watch/cellular to unlock Tesla (BT works), but it is nice to have cellular activated on higher priced models in case of an emergency and use the Apple Watch as a phone in case one wants to text or make a call while away on a long run away from the paired iPhone.

With one's phone securely stored in the Tesla's glovebox (PIN to open) out of sight and phone's security passcode enabled:
Great. And yes, I have Apple Watch with Cellular, so no worries. And I did get the Watch app for Tesla - which asked to pair via BT and works now. Although, I have not tried it in a "no cell" zone with BT only. Takes a few seconds to connect. Side topic - may try Watchla also. The Watch app for Tesla is ok functionally, but honestly, too much going on...

I do have Face ID on phone, but prefer not to have PIN to open, so will do the "BT off on phone" trick when I am leaving phone in car.

I also feel that carrying the key card is a good backup. Which is easy enough. I used to carry a key fob with my Volvo, so this is already lighter.

Great to be on the community and connect with people of similar interests and tricks of the trade!

Agreed but as a swimmer the best for me is #2, the key ring, which is securely on my person even at the beach and in the water (where I would never leave my phone or wallet unattended).

I think you may have to plan to keep the phone with you.
I too use the phone 99% of the time, but have forgotten my phone inside and have forgotten my card at home. Either of these situations can be problematic since the card backs up you “phone key”.

Just a word of caution: I would not leave the phone inside the car if you have activated Siri Shortcuts. I’m sure there’s something similar for Android. Any crook that has been secretly observing your routine may know you leave your phone inside the car and they can easily try to talk to Siri from outside the car and say the phrase “Hey Siri unlock my Tesla” or “unlock the car” and with that they can steal your car and your phone as the voice command works over the cellular connection. Bluetooth can be re-enabled from the control screen without unlocking your phone so they can drive away.