Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of first test of rear lighted T on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have our third and final volunteer, 3pod.

This a piece of cake for a professional We think a professional is needed in only two situations:

For owners who don't want to DYI of any kind or DYI that's moderately challenging (which this is)
For reinstallation of the large plastic trim piece on the bottom side of the lift gate (that's the only really difficult task on this install and it's what I did)

We're interested in owner's experiences here, particularly those willing to take on DYI projects.

However, down the road we will be interested in making a list of qualified professionals owners can turn to for this task.

Rick, after seeing the install in Hamilton, I am salivating for the rear T. So silly question: can I buy the T that you have for sale and put it on the rear, or is that for the front only?
Thanks!

Artsci, it may be good to know in advance which trim pieces or anchors may break so we have the parts numbers ready.

That information is in the install instructions that I'll email you over the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Rick, after seeing the install in Hamilton, I am salivating for the rear T. So silly question: can I buy the T that you have for sale and put it on the rear, or is that for the front only?
Thanks!

The front T doesn't work on the rear. The rear is smaller and curves in the opposite direction. Plus it must be wired with a brightness driver which isn't necessary on the front T.

The wait won't be long before these go into production and are ready for purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I think most of the plastic clips used in the S can be bought at a hardware store/ automotive shop

Here's a source for the clips. The are listed for Toyota but work on the Model S for the lift gate trim pieces and a number of other applications, for example the kick panels. This information is courtesy SUPRKAR.

Three people volunteered to install the prototype rear lighted T on their cars and provide Rick with feedback on the installation process and also provide photos. My lighted T was installed today. I forwarded a few photos of the finished product to Rick, who will post them shortly. Also discussed some suggestions for changes to the installation procedure. Another beta tester also provided his feedback to Rick. This is a classy add-on to the car that I feel many owners will want to buy and install as soon as it becomes available.

Three people volunteered to install the prototype rear lighted T on their cars and provide Rick with feedback on the installation process and also provide photos. My lighted T was installed today. I forwarded a few photos of the finished product to Rick, who will post them shortly. Also discussed some suggestions for changes to the installation procedure. Another beta tester also provided his feedback to Rick. This is a classy add-on to the car that I feel many owners will want to buy and install as soon as it becomes available.

I'll share this photo that swegman sent to me.

photo 2.JPG

With the testing nearly complete I'll post the installation instructions tomorrow. We'll begin taking pre-production orders at the end of next week. Haven't pinned down price yet but it will be close to the front T. Also thinking of some kind of package deal for the front and real lighted Ts.

This looks awesome and I will most likely order it.

1. Artsci, what do you think about including some of those spare trim clips and other required supplies as a kit with the lighted T?

2. Do you have any pics in the daytime with the brake lights off?

3. My upcoming P85 ("the replacement" for Band of Brothers fans) will be black, and I'm curious how the light/glare will be affected by a black car, particularly at dusk. Any pics on a black car at dusk or at night?

Last edited: