Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of Model X details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...To @MarkZ: please keep in mind that the photos I posted to start this thread are of Bonnie's X. I do not have, nor am I buying an X in the foreseeable future. I just thought people would be interested in seeing photos of X details that by and large have not been posted before on TMC.
Yes, I realize that. I have updated my post accordingly. We appreciate all the photos of Model X from everyone, especially from those who can take a photo of the happy drivers who took delivery.

Suspension settings: Very Low (approx 7") vs. Very High (approx 10") - taken under the 2nd row sill.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 175
I saw the carpets in the photos but the utility nature of this vehicle screams the need for Weathertech floor mats. It was over a year after the S shipped before Weathertech measured a car from a Chicago area SC and started producing mats for direct sale and Tesla OEM. I hope they get their hands on an X sooner. Maybe now that they are Tesla OEM they got earlier access. If not, perhaps an early Chicago area recipient could lend Weathertech their car?

Thanks Bonnie. Anyone know how this compares to the Model S? Im very interested in the clearance difference.

Also the top of the drivers seat bottom to the ground on both would be an interesting one. How much higher will we sit?

S manual (p 156, Dimensions and Weights) says 4.7-6.4" for air suspension and 5.65" for coil suspension.

S manual (p 156, Dimensions and Weights) says 4.7-6.4" for air suspension and 5.65" for coil suspension.

And this Quick Guide for towing the X shows 5.11 to 8.2" range on the air suspension. Although that 5.11 seems oddly suspect.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Model_X_Towing_Instructions_NA.pdf

Interesting how that changed, I'll quote a portion of a post from 2013 (with the leaf data and Gen IV prius added today)

Gen II Prius 2004-2009 is only 4.9" ground clearance
Gen III Prius 2010-2015 is only 5.5" ground clearance
Gen IV Prius 2016 - ???? is only 5.7" ground clearance

Nissan Leaf (2011 to 2016) are all 6.3" ground clearance

Model S Active suspension in highway mode is 5.21" ground clearance
Model S Active suspension in normal mode is 6" ground clearance
Model S Active suspension in high 1 (less than 20 mph, aka 19 or lower) is 6.9" ground clearance
Model S Active suspension in high 2 (less than 11 mph, aka 10 or lower) is 7.3" ground clearance

The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level (edit: apparently this happens when you put the car in park, might have to shift out of an into gear to activate?

I'm sure the self leveling is still there for the active suspension and a good reason to have that for Towing on the model X. I wonder if the Tow Mode button on the center screen will trigger the suspension leveling?

It is surprising how much the clearance changed on the S after getting a titanium shield and software adjustments.

edit: Model S confirmed at Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors
Clearance 5.65"
With air suspension 4.7" - 6.4"

It looks like the S lost .9" between the shield and the software change. I'm not sure how many levels there are now and what the individual clearances would be.

Model X is referenced in several places as ground clearance 7.2" I'm assuming that is the coil springs number. Making the S to X comparison

Model S springs 5.65"
Model X springs 7.2"

Model S active suspension 4.7" to 6.4"
Model X active suspension 5.11" to 8.2"

Last edited: