Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a ton of sound deadening butyl in the trunk area of my 2018 M3 and used a felt trunk liner to cover it up. It looked a lot more finished and probably should've come with it originally but Tesla has never included anything to cover the bare metal roof of the trunk.

The one I purchased years ago is no longer available on Amazon but it was this same design: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHER-MEN-A...efix=tesla+model+3+rear+trunk+,aps,728&sr=8-3

Whoever bought my old car probably thinks it came stock with it too...

IMG_9038.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg

is there a difference between LR and Performance in offset in the hubs?

does one or the other sit further in/out between the two models? if so which one by how many MM?
Performance with upgraded brakes have an approximately 3mm thinner rotor hat, so the wheels sit further inboard by 3mm. This also exposes a wider 70.1mm hub flange, which is why we all ask if certain wheels are bored to accommodate the lip.

This thread explains it

Performance with upgraded brakes have an approximately 3mm thinner rotor hat, so the wheels sit further inboard by 3mm. This also exposes a wider 70.1mm hub flange, which is why we all ask if certain wheels are bored to accommodate the lip.

This thread explains it

Not entirely true. The wheels on the performance have a 35mm offset vs 40mm on the LR.…which more than makes up for any difference in rotor thickness.

Not entirely true. The wheels on the performance have a 35mm offset vs 40mm on the LR.…which more than makes up for any difference in rotor thickness.
That has more to do with performance handling aspect and lesser priority on range than anything else.

From a mechanical and fitment stand point, the offset difference is only 3mm. As long as you take those 3mm into account for your wheels, they'll fit virtually the same.

That guy was asking about difference in the hubs, and we all know they're the same hubs. It's the rotor that makes the mechanical difference.

That has more to do with performance handling aspect and lesser priority on range than anything else.

From a mechanical and fitment stand point, the offset difference is only 3mm. As long as you take those 3mm into account for your wheels, they'll fit virtually the same.

That guy was asking about difference in the hubs, and we all know they're the same hubs. It's the rotor that makes the mechanical difference.
I wasn’t talking about any performance aspects. I was simply referring to your comment that “Performance with upgraded brakes have an approximately 3mm thinner rotor hat, so the wheels sit further INBOARD by 3mm”.
Since the stock Performance wheels have a 35mm offset (vs 40mm)they will actually sit 2mm further OUTBOARD and not inboard. In the end the few mm doesn’t mean much and agree they’re virtually the same. I based my custom offsets off the stock 35mm….so in a way I did take into account that 3mm lol.

Last edited:
I wasn’t talking about any performance aspects. I was simply referring to your comment that “Performance with upgraded brakes have an approximately 3mm thinner rotor hat, so the wheels sit further INBOARD by 3mm”.
Since the stock Performance wheels have a 35mm offset (vs 40mm)they will actually sit 2mm further OUTBOARD and not inboard. In the end the few mm doesn’t mean much and agree they’re virtually the same. I based my custom offsets off the stock 35mm….so in a way I did take into account that 3mm lol.
Again. My comment has to do with same wheel offset on LR vs Performance hubs. No other difference save for the 3mm thinner rotor hat. My response was to the question pertaining to hub differences.

That's all. You decided to chime in that LR and Perf wheels have different offsets. I pointed out that's a package feature Tesla decided on based on handling and aero priorities being different on LR and Perf trims.

Hubs are the same.

I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Again. My comment has to do with same wheel offset on LR vs Performance hubs. No other difference save for the 3mm thinner rotor hat. My response was to the question pertaining to hub differences.

That's all. You decided to chime in that LR and Perf wheels have different offsets. I pointed out that's a package feature Tesla decided on based on handling and aero priorities being different on LR and Perf trims.

Hubs are the same.

I'll leave it at that.

Yes hubs are the same. If @BadassBob is looking for aftermarket wheels….he should base it off the 40mm or 35mm depending on what car he has or whatever comes stock on whatever car he has. The difference between LR and performance hub offset/rotor hat thickness is meaningless unless he’s planning on swapping out to oem performance rotors or vise versa.

Anyway let’s get this thread back on topic with the original theme of a no posing….right now pic.

A803EFF9-F0B1-4116-873F-9DB154A10592.jpeg

I’m just out of warranty so decided to try the squeak fix for the upper control arm joint. Squeak went away as soon as I started rotating the joint.
I have this warranty work scheduled, I wonder if this is related to the issue you encountered:
Description Of Work:​
Concern: Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints​
Correction: Reseal Area Around Both Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints With Urethane(Model 3)​
Parts Replaced or Added​
PRIMER, BETAPRIME,10ML(1059658-00-A)​
SEALANT, BETASEALEXPRESS/EXPRESS +(1048645-00-A)​
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty​

I have this warranty work scheduled, I wonder if this is related to the issue you encountered:
Description Of Work:​
Concern: Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints​
Correction: Reseal Area Around Both Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints With Urethane(Model 3)​
Parts Replaced or Added​
PRIMER, BETAPRIME,10ML(1059658-00-A)​
SEALANT, BETASEALEXPRESS/EXPRESS +(1048645-00-A)​
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty​

The seal is just to try and prevent water from getting into the joint….it doesn’t do anything if its already squeaking.

hmm I’m not sure I see what you’re talking about...That’s not bare metal? Or is it a plastic cover that looks the same color as the bare metal?
I think the question was whether people have a plastic/felt liner covering the bare metal.