Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick one: Premium Sound OR Smart Air Suspension

Pick ONLY one: Smart Air Suspension OR Premium Audio

• Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Premium Audio

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that coil cars are fixed at 6", which is higher than the standard setting of air (that you will do most of your driving in). Air at standard is slightly below coils and air at high is slightly above coils. Most cases were you could experiencing a curb height problem are when you are in standard. High or Very High won't usually run into the problem. As such, coils will usually just be fine. Also, if you are in the habit of backing in, the rear has more clearance than the nose on both suspensions.

Personally, after driving 8 hours yesterday with air and standard audio to get my car home, if I was buying new, I would buy coils + standard and then do an aftermarket upgrade to sound for $1k(-ish). Btw, I also spent 8 hours in 1.0 seats with the spring TSB and there were much more comfortable than I was expecting. As such, while I would probably still get next gen seats if ordering new, they aren't a deal breaker.

Chris, In the end, if you go looking for an inventory car, I would NOT let having/not having air/coil, standard/upgraded sound, 1.5/next gen 2.0 seats be a deal breaker either way.

Thanks Cyclone! Good thoughts. I had a dream the other night that my wife have me the go ahead on both. We will see in 8 days on my birthday... She may surprise me!

I'm not much of an audiophile so I did not get the sound package but I did get air. Good thing too.

This evening I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and found it full. The only way out was a very bumpy pot hole filled alley. I slowed to a crawl and on entering the first pot hole I could feel something underneath had touched the ground. So I set the air to it's highest setting and was able to get the rest of the way down the alley without further incident.

I'm not much of an audiophile so I did not get the sound package but I did get air. Good thing too.

This evening I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and found it full. The only way out was a very bumpy pot hole filled alley. I slowed to a crawl and on entering the first pot hole I could feel something underneath had touched the ground. So I set the air to it's highest setting and was able to get the rest of the way down the alley without further incident.

Nice Patrick! I'm going with the air for now and then I'll add my own audio afterwards. Easy enough. I'm sure the premium sound from Tesla is great, but if forced with this choice, I'm with you.

Keep in mind that coil cars are fixed at 6", which is higher than the standard setting of air (that you will do most of your driving in). Air at standard is slightly below coils and air at high is slightly above coils. Most cases were you could experiencing a curb height problem are when you are in standard. High or Very High won't usually run into the problem. As such, coils will usually just be fine. Also, if you are in the habit of backing in, the rear has more clearance than the nose on both suspensions.

Personally, after driving 8 hours yesterday with air and standard audio to get my car home, if I was buying new, I would buy coils + standard and then do an aftermarket upgrade to sound for $1k(-ish). Btw, I also spent 8 hours in 1.0 seats with the spring TSB and there were much more comfortable than I was expecting. As such, while I would probably still get next gen seats if ordering new, they aren't a deal breaker.

Chris, In the end, if you go looking for an inventory car, I would NOT let having/not having air/coil, standard/upgraded sound, 1.5/next gen 2.0 seats be a deal breaker either way.

This ^

Thanks Cyclone. My industrial engineer of the wife just said, "the air suspension is just one more thing to break." We'll get the coils and the premium sound. I may even upgrade the sound afterwards with the money we didn't spend on the SAS!

Thanks Cyclone. My industrial engineer of the wife just said, "the air suspension is just one more thing to break." We'll get the coils and the premium sound. I may even upgrade the sound afterwards with the money we didn't spend on the SAS!

My Standard audio is clear, powerful, and loud, but yes, doesn't kick in the bass. I don't need "shatter my teeth" feel, but I do like to feel some rumble in certain songs. My 4Runner (w/o a subwoofer I might say) provides some of that kick, but the sound isn't clear at that level while the Tesla's is. There are a couple threads here about doing it yourself. One guy built the enclosure himself using MDF and fiberglass, out in a JL subwoofer and the same amp the NVX system uses, all for about $500. I plan to get a sound upgrade and will probably do the NVX system installed myself, or go to a local audio shop and have them do the whole thing. I am going to do the trunk and frunk lighting enhancements first to get a feel for what I want to take on. I agree with others, especially after my road trip, that standard + aftermarket will get you better or cheaper (both of you DIY) than premium sound.

I use to install sound systems when I was younger and I'll tell you 2.5k will buy you quite a system! At the end of the day, is the stock system on a 90k+ car really going to be lacking? .

my guess is you will be disappointed by the standard sound, the lack of bass is what hurts the system. Putting it in perspective my 2004 f150 with audiophile system sounds richer overall then the standard package on the model s.

I have >10,000 miles on an S with premium audio, and >10,000 miles on an S without premium audio.

I have >10,000 miles on an S with coils, and >10,000 miles on an S with air.

Ultimately this is up to what you value most, but:

-As others have said, audio can be upgraded (can anybody say Reus?!?) first time around I went with upgraded sound (it was $950 at the time) but I wasn't entirely happy with it because of certain frequencies distorting. To my knowledge this is still the case with today's upgraded sound system. I went with the basic audio and upgraded to the Reus system. Suspension cannot be retrofitted.
-Air suspension technically improves aerodynamics at speed, but based on my personal experience and what I've heard from others, this difference in efficiency is imperceptible given all other variables (wind, temps, etc.)
-Suspension height is not a problem with coils or air. However, the drawback with air is that you explicitly have to raise the car with air, whereas coils always ride slightly higher than normal setting on air car. I scraped bottom probably 4 or 5 times with air, and have never scraped with coils.
-Air is more expensive, complex, and maintenance is potentially much more expensive.
-Air is heavier.
-Most think air is slightly more aesthetic, because the car rides lower.
-Coils are a bit stiffer...more of a sporty feel.

I had this same decision to make. I went with basic audio and upgraded to the Reus system because sound quality was more important to me, and I wanted to avoid the potential maintenance costs of the air system.

If I were you, I'd look at it this way:

-If the look of the slightly raised coil car (compared to air on low) or a slightly stiffer suspension doesn't bother you, go with the premim sound.
-If there's a possibility you might later spend a few thousand dollars to upgrade your sound system and potential maintenance costs or the air system don't worry you, go with air.

That was my thinking. I've got the standard coils and have had a number of loaners with air and haven't noticed a big difference.

In general, though, I am not a fan of adaptive suspensions. They always seem to be either too this or too that, and they add complexity.

I've also never had any problem with bottoming out.

When I called Reus it was going to be over $5,000 so the Tesla system may not be that over priced.

But the Reus system is miles above even the Tesla premium sound. Also, I believe Reus "customizes" the setup basic on your desires and budget, so they need not go full blown and can provide you an exception system (while not top of the line) for much less. In the Reus thread, people got multiple quotes based on what they wanted to do. For me, not being an audiophile, I wouldn't need to have new speakers added, but I could be swayed into swapping out the stock speakers for higher quality ones. Reus is out of my budget though, so I haven't investigated it too much. There is that audio shop in California that did an upgrade with a custom enclosure for $1,500 (using JL equipment) and I know local shops have done amazing installs for around $1k-$1.5k. That is my target and I'm ok paying a premium to have someone else build the enclosure than try and tackle it myself.

Damn guys! Are you talking me out of the premium sound AND the SAS?! :)

Seriously, I think I'm going coils just for the simplicity, feel of the road, and long term cost of repairs (or lack there of).

But, now you've got me thinking maybe not to even get the audio. I think I will - because it's in my budget, but I may add to it or replace speakers down the road, which is easy to do on my own budget and time.

Buy used and get everything..

Why would ANYONE buy used? You lose the $7,500 tax credit. When you subtract that from the new price, you're about where the used ones are! I think the CPOs are a scam . . .

- - - Updated - - -

But the Reus system is miles above even the Tesla premium sound. Also, I believe Reus "customizes" the setup basic on your desires and budget, so they need not go full blown and can provide you an exception system (while not top of the line) for much less. In the Reus thread, people got multiple quotes based on what they wanted to do. For me, not being an audiophile, I wouldn't need to have new speakers added, but I could be swayed into swapping out the stock speakers for higher quality ones. Reus is out of my budget though, so I haven't investigated it too much. There is that audio shop in California that did an upgrade with a custom enclosure for $1,500 (using JL equipment) and I know local shops have done amazing installs for around $1k-$1.5k. That is my target and I'm ok paying a premium to have someone else build the enclosure than try and tackle it myself.

Cyclone, I think you're right. I'm going with the SAS just because of the wow factor, the efficiency gains, smooth ride, and geofencing. I can add a killer audio system myself or pay someone to install it for less than the $2,500 . . .

And Cyclone, if you can get the enclosure made for a 10" woofer in one of those back trunk areas, let me know. I'll go in on it with you if we can get any kind of a 2-4-1.

I think you are making a good choice by choosing SAS over premium audio, Chris. I had the same decision to make - twice (with the premium audio being a lot cheaper at $950 the first time) - and went with SAS alone on both occasions.

With a recent 6.2 firmware and audio codec update, the standard audio sounds very, very good, with more discernible bass (although there's no dedicated subwoofer).

I use the High setting of the SAS every day to clear my steep driveway. Have avoided bottoming out on speed humps and scraping curbs in parking lots on a ton of occasions with Very High. Yes, back in 2012, I had a poll about the reliability of the SAS in the long run but, from what I was told by many in the know here and from what I've read since then, these modern air suspension systems are far superior to the ones from just 6-7 years ago.

If it really is an "or" decision, I would have your prior experiences help guide you. For me, it was any easy choice to get the premium audio as listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks is a huge deal for me on long commutes ESPECIALLY with a really quiet EV.

I've had an air suspension of a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a Audi Q7. I've also had stiff coil suspensions on every 911 I've had and my current R8. I test drove a Model S with air and standard coil. The air suspension is competent. The coil suspension is competent and certainly what I am more used to. And, thus, my decision that the air is unneeded complexity without a whole lot of benefit for what I expect driving. The coil suspension is taut and responsive and more what I'm used to.

Thanks again for everyone's input. So very helpful. The way I'm looking at it is that I can upgrade the audio later (and add that needed subwoofer) but I can't add the SAS.

Also, i feel the SAS is almost expected for a luxury vehicle of this price. So from a resale value perspective, I can see the SAS helping there too.

@joefee, I could afford both if I get the 70D, but I really want the 85D and need to decide what to trim to get it under the wife's budget. So excited . . .6 days until putting the order in.