Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my P3+ today. Oh my goodness!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!

What a car. Firstly, this is the first EV I've owned so this is all a totally new experience for me. Right now, I've not driven it much more than I have with test drives in the S and X, but nevertheless, it's arguably the best vehicle I've had.

The first thing that struck me is how modern it feels. It does make you realise that, while some tastes may differ, the lack of switches and buttons around the dash are totally on point. It just doesn't need them!

I did nearly have a heart attack when I tried overtaking on the motorway. I was doing 55 behind a truck and indicated to move over, some kind driver let me in so I put my foot down as I would have in my wife's 320d. Big mistake. IT JUST FLEW FORWARD!!

I captured some videos so I'm gonna be talking about the car on YouTube quite a bit. Will send links when I've uploaded.

Is there anything you'd like to see on the car?

EDIT: I'm getting security errors when trying to upload an image of the car - any ideas?
Congrats, picked my SR+ up from Birmingham and the first thing that got me was the regen breaking. Also when you cruise off it feels like you coasting down a hill!

Arrived home, kids played games, went for drive and made wife sick! Then picked up fish and chips..... Good bye new car smell :/

It's quite funny to hear people getting these cars who have had no experience of supercar acceleration. :)

The next quickest car I’ve had was 60 in 4.2, so I’m hardly a million miles off. But this, this is something completely different. The complete lack of torque curve is frankly frightening at first.

Can’t wait to capture my wife’s reaction on video!

The next quickest car I’ve had was 60 in 4.2, so I’m hardly a million miles off. But this, this is something completely different. The complete lack of torque curve is frankly frightening at first.

Can’t wait to capture my wife’s reaction on video!

Like you I've driven some quick cars (up to 530 bhp/ton) but it's the instant response to the throttle at any speed that make Tesla's feel bonkers quick.

This is clearly more in the realm of sporty motorcycle acceleration ... I describe that as if being propelled froward by the "hand of God"!! Being pitched forward over the handle bars puts you in a good position to cope with the forces .. Being seated in an upright position in a car means you are thrown back so it really must feel even more extreme!

As mentioned above, it's a family saloon with supercar acceleration so more comparable to an Audi RS6 or Merc E63 than other cars in its price bracket. I think this is why the first-year insurance is surprisingly high for most people getting a P+. I changed details on a quote to say I'd had the car over a year and a £700/year figure dropped to a bit over £500. I couldn't go any further back but hopefully that trend will continue.

As mentioned above, it's a family saloon with supercar acceleration so more comparable to an Audi RS6 or Merc E63 than other cars in its price bracket. I think this is why the first-year insurance is surprisingly high for most people getting a P+. I changed details on a quote to say I'd had the car over a year and a £700/year figure dropped to a bit over £500. I couldn't go any further back but hopefully that trend will continue.
Mines coming in at £550 with LV and NCD covered. 8k miles, wife on (without my wife on it was £150 dearer).

Picked up mine today. No problems with the paint or panel gaps that I notice, so I'm happy and that's what counts ;)
They had put the wrong plates on the two blue cars, so had to swap them, so I know how to change to my private plates. Definitely need to be the thinner aluminium ones to fit in the holders...
Insurance is only £6.72 more until March compared to my five year old 4 series, so can't complain about that either.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QUGxW35nmqovuZfR8
Damn quick which I had to demonstrate to a Porsche at the lights... But mostly just sensible. Ride is firm, but no worse than my 4 series was in comfort setting with run flats.
Autopilot seemed to work with lane change and only the narrow lanes in the 50 on the M4 near Reading caused it a problem. Sun reflecting off the original lane markings so three lines and not obvious even for me.
About a 50% charge, so 6.5 hours to top up in the garage. Tight fit in the garage compared to my 4 series, as it wouldn't summon and I had "fun" getting out of the car...
Oh and no way to shut the windows remotely, having had to lower them to get out of the car ;)
But happy with my decision and worth the wait.

Insurance is only £6.72 more until March compared to my five year old 4 series, so can't complain about that either.

Oh and no way to shut the windows remotely, having had to lower them to get out of the car ;)

That's good news on the insurance front as it sounds like that's just covering the admin fee for changing the vehicle.

No remote windows? Not even through the app? I'm not happy about that as I like to drive with the windows down occassionly but often forget to close them. On my current car you just hold the lock button on either the door or keyfob and they all close.

Mine is £1,889.79 a year with an £850 excess for an SR+, 15k miles, 28, 8 years NCD. An extra £180 to cover NCD too, and if I lower the voluntary excess from £350 to £0 it puts the insurance up £500 a year.

All these low hundreds quotes make me very sad. Stupid London prices.