Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P85+ on Wednesday -- my enthusiasm is significantly dampened after 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1
Everybody just take it down a notch.

How far down? An inch or a notch? :wink: I agree, poor communication, but 5.6 was rolling out slowly and once they decided to push 5.8 very quickly, at least we all were updated quickly. Honestly, while driving you don't notice the inch. I like the idea of being lower and the look, but NOT a big deal. Take a deep breath, exhale and enjoy the ride!

I have a mere P85, but I really don't notice much difference with the ride height settings change. Tesla did handle the communications poorly, but I don't think that is a reason to lose your enthusiasm for your future vehicle. Once you start driving it on a daily basis, I think you be very happy.

It would be interesting to do a double-blind test, where people drove two otherwise identical Model S vehicles, one with 5.6 and one with 5.8, back-to-back. I bet a pretty high percentage of people would not be able to pick out which one was which, from the driving characteristics alone.

I will concede that I'm likely over reacting. If we get control back in January, I'll be happy.

Agreed, Then I only have to be upset until January!! If it's not back in January, then I will be upset longer!!! and I'm not sour, just expressing my displeasure on their change, and the way they went about it. A little communication would have gone a long way here. :mad:

Last edited:
I have a mere P85, but I really don't notice much difference with the ride height settings change. Tesla did handle the communications poorly, but I don't think that is a reason to lose your enthusiasm for your future vehicle. Once you start driving it on a daily basis, I think you be very happy.

It would be interesting to do a double-blind test, where people drove two otherwise identical Model S vehicles, one with 5.6 and one with 5.8, back-to-back. I bet a pretty high percentage of people would not be able to pick out which one was which, from the driving characteristics alone.

I can definitely tell the difference at highway speeds. I am confident enough in sensing the difference that I would wager on a pepsi challenge. You feel it changing lanes and with hard acceleration at speed on a curve. I feel some roll/sway as the Cg shifts. Remember that that car is 5/16 + 0.79 inches higher on the highway (no LOW plus 5/16 higher on STANDARD). But its not a huge deal as a temporary change. And the P85+ might very well behave better. I reserve my judgment until the next update.

I can definitely tell the difference at highway speeds. I am confident enough in sensing the difference that I would wager on a pepsi challenge. You feel it changing lanes and with hard acceleration at speed on a curve. I feel some roll/sway as the Cg shifts. Remember that that car is 5/16 + 0.79 inches higher on the highway (no LOW plus 5/16 higher on STANDARD). But its not a huge deal as a temporary change. And the P85+ might very well behave better. I reserve my judgment until the next update.

I don't believe you

Yeah, you're gonna absolutely love the car. Some folks that have a lot of miles don't even notice a difference at high speeds. I do but I feel it's no big deal. You're simply gonna love the car, and in January when the update comes out you'll have a reason to love it even more.

My advice is: Don't make any stink. Enjoy the day as much as possible. It's a momentous occasion. When was the last time you picked up an all EV winner of Car Of The Year?

Let us know how much you love it. Pics too!

This. Assuming you're picking up your car at the factory, it is a memorable day. Why would you want to spoil it with negative ju ju and making a stink about anything, let alone something based only a few people's posts on this blog when 99.99% of the folks who received the update cannot even tell the difference in suspension heights at freeway speed? Enjoy every minute of the tour and delivery experience and just stepping foot in your new baby. The smile on my face when I took delivery of the car is what I will never forget, and that was before we had a dozen or more improvements in various firmware versions since last February.

The problem is that you already know that you have the 5.8 firmware, and you expect the car to feel different, so you honestly believe that it is much different (and worse). Perhaps it is noticeably different, and you just have a keenly tuned sense for this, or it could be that you are just "sensing" what you expect to feel.

That is the whole point of a double-blind test. Neither you or the test administrator knows which car is which, and you drive both of them back to back, and you privately record your impressions the handling of each car. I think that a pretty high percentage of people would not be able to tell the difference under those conditions.

This reminds me of the old audiophile debates about speaker wire and expensive interconnect cables, where "golden ear" audiophiles could write chapter and verse about the "improved clarity and imaging" and the "more immersive soundstage" that they could hear due to some particular product. Double-blind tests usually shot most of those claims down.

Even so, I am looking forward to Tesla giving us more control over the settings, or letting us opt out of the new behavior in the future. :)

i think its good news! I first thought that it was possible to decide the ride height on the car. was disappointed to learn about that it was just at low speeds it was user controllable... so if Tesla release an update in January that give me controlmthst is brilliant and what i want! one inch higher is not a big issue at all for me. I really hope the user controlled riding height will come in january. if it does then it will fix one of my few concerns...

The problem is that you already know that you have the 5.8 firmware, and you expect the car to feel different, so you honestly believe that it is much different (and worse). Perhaps it is noticeably different, and you just have a keenly tuned sense for this, or it could be that you are just "sensing" what you expect to feel.

That is the whole point of a double-blind test. Neither you or the test administrator knows which car is which, and you drive both of them back to back, and you privately record your impressions the handling of each car. I think that a pretty high percentage of people would not be able to tell the difference under those conditions.

This reminds me of the old audiophile debates about speaker wire and expensive interconnect cables, where "golden ear" audiophiles could write chapter and verse about the "improved clarity and imaging" and the "more immersive soundstage" that they could hear due to some particular product. Double-blind tests usually shot most of those claims down.

Even so, I am looking forward to Tesla giving us more control over the settings, or letting us opt out of the new behavior in the future. :)

As I said earlier I would put money on a double-blind test. I can feel the difference and I am sure that other some other drivers can as well. I would also concede that perhaps a large percentage cannot. Let's accept that some may be more sensitive than others to the feel of the car. You need not try to convince me I am wrong about my own feelings.

Am I being stupid? The look when lowered and the handling of the P85+ was a big factor in my decision to spend $120K+ on this car, and I'm frankly pissed at how this 5.8 release went down. I'm cautiously optimistic that January will bring us some more control over this, but I obviously have no guarantee of this. I've made my feelings known to Tesla about everything, but you know how that goes.

Are folks seeing a significant change in the feel of the car without highway lowering?

I really want to take delivery of the car -- I don't want to wait -- I just feel like I was sold a bill of goods, got excited about it, and now am uncertain whether I'll get what I paid for. It's not a great feeling.

I believe the feature will be rolled back. What is your VIN?

For what it's worth, the P85+ is probably the least likely model to exhibit a noticeable difference.

Hang in there. Apparently, the next update will include a new manual control to activate the Low setting, giving you the option to keep the car in the Standard setting on certain highways. If you're in an area that gets frost heaves, this might be a good feature indeed!

This. Assuming you're picking up your car at the factory, it is a memorable day. Why would you want to spoil it with negative ju ju and making a stink about anything, let alone something based only a few people's posts on this blog when 99.99% of the folks who received the update cannot even tell the difference in suspension heights at freeway speed? Enjoy every minute of the tour and delivery experience and just stepping foot in your new baby. The smile on my face when I took delivery of the car is what I will never forget, and that was before we had a dozen or more improvements in various firmware versions since last February.

I'm sorry but I don't forgive that easily. When I'm speaking on this forum as a mere enthusiast, I will easily say it doesn't matter as long as they remedy the problem.

However, if I was a consumer about to put my hard earned cash (pretty much all of it, too) on the line, I would be much more stringent.

The problem is not that Tesla made changes to the car; they have made it clear from day one that the car would change over time. The problem is they made these changes after bowing to public pressure, to the possible detriment of the car and the consumer's experience! Or they failed to adequately communicate how this is NOT the case, which is nearly as bad from a consumer standpoint.

Personally, I'm not concerned with the suspension changes. I'm not some performance enthusiast who is so in-tune with the car that I can detect every minute change in tire pressure or what grade of mix was used in the asphalt. What I am concerned with is the precedent this will set going forward. Think about it for a second. Tesla can now make changes to the car for reasons other than improving it. And they don't have to tell you they're doing it either.

Please forgive the following slippery-slope argument but...what will be next? No more functioning web browser while driving. Committee says it's too distracting. Gone in FW 6.1.

I still love Tesla and I will still be getting a Model S come Spring and I will enjoy it immensely, but we have trust issues.

im actually okay with it as long as i can lower the car while its parked so it looks slammed :D

also i live in Calgary and there is so much crap on the roads here that i prefer it to be slightly higher, i am NOT going to risk damaging the car just so i can get 1-2 more MPGe or i can corner 3MPH faster, this car doesnt handle well to begin with so i am not going to push it to the edge.

Look at it this way. You are likely not to feel the difference since you have not had it from day 1. It's much more noticeable for those of us who had it and had it taken away. Just enjoy the entire experience. Maybe Elon will come through and make the promised change in January.

im actually okay with it as long as i can lower the car while its parked so it looks slammed :D

also i live in Calgary and there is so much crap on the roads here that i prefer it to be slightly higher, i am NOT going to risk damaging the car just so i can get 1-2 more MPGe or i can corner 3MPH faster, this car doesnt handle well to begin with so i am not going to push it to the edge.

Doesn't sit as low as before....THAT bothers me a little....

Both me and wife noticed that in Standard our car is not as low as before. BUT we didn't update to 5.8 - anyone else noticed this? May be far fetched, but possible that this was updated even though I didn't authorize it?

Both me and wife noticed that in Standard our car is not as low as before. BUT we didn't update to 5.8 - anyone else noticed this? May be far fetched, but possible that this was updated even though I didn't authorize it?

Press the Tesla T on the screen to see. I haven't upgraded either and the height hasn't changed (not that I got out and measured it).