TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pickup from the Tesla Factory in California, will it be the fastest delivery option?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Brad_NC, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

As the title says, do we think that pickup from the Tesla Factory in California will be the fastest delivery option (assuming that we still order a high optioned Model ≡)?

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Most likely, assuming the car is produced in Fremont, CA. But it will also be the most expensive option becuase you'd owe CA sales tax. See here: CA bill to allow factory pick up w/o sales tax

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

All Teslas are "produced" in Fremont, if by "produced" you mean "manufactured".

• Dislike x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

And CA sales taxes are nothing to sneeze at. We pay through the nose here.

• Dislike x 2
  5. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Depending on where you live, transport can add weeks. It took almost 3 weeks for ours to come to MA for pickup, from the date it said it was actually completed.

6. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

I certainly would opt for delivery at the factory to save time (and since I live close), and just for the experience of going to the factory in person.

7. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

I too would opt to pick up the car at the Tesla Factory, in a ideal world Tesla would waive the delivery fee. Going from LA to San-Fran only cost me 100 bucks, and i have to pay california tax regardless.

8. tga

tga Active Member

A recent post mentioned that Federal law requires all buyers to pay the same delivery fee, regardless of where they pick up, how far the car is shipped, etc. I tried to find it, but apparently my Google-fu stayed in bed this morning.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. vjason

vjason Member

You mean this?: $990 delivery charge for picking up at factory?? | Tesla Motors (funny enough just Googling "pick up car from factory" returns that first, although my results may be influenced by my search history).

10. tga

tga Active Member

11. pikachu

pikachu Member

Count me in for pickup at factory. I live about 15 mins from there so that's a no brainer. CA taxes is a whole another discussion though!

• Like x 1
  12. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

After looking it up on Google maps I realized today that I live one hour away (assuming 680 has no traffic lol) Being able to go to the factory and pick it up that day is going to be so cool vs waiting for it to be delivered.

13. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

100% factory delivery for me. I'm not allowing the car on a delivery truck. I'll come drive it out of there myself. :)

14. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I can't believe you are talking about where to take delivery on a car which is only conceptual, isn't even at the prototype stage and will probably not be delivered until probably 2019/2020 based on Tesla past performance. I think you have a few years before having to make this decision.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  15. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

We got Evie there too, she likes to visit 'home' every now and then and visit the store to see the latest swag or plan our next trip and gear up (e.g. chains, matts, accesories). The tour was very impressive too! You will be amazed what they have done to that old nummi plant, it is immaculate and gigantic!

• Like x 1
  16. pikachu

pikachu Member

I wonder if they will be doing group tours now given the volume. May not have the bandwidth for a one-on-one experience!

17. Drivin

Drivin Member

But if you buy your airline tickets now, you can get some serious discounts.

• Like x 1
  18. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

Depending on where you live, you could be getting hit with even more sales taxes. Some states require you to pay tax on a brand new car if it is being registered in the state you live in within a specific amount of time no matter where you buy it from. I believe this ranges from 30 days to 1 year. This was done to discourage people from going across state lines to take advantage of cheaper tax rates.

19. doublejj

doublejj Member

do you still believe it will be 2019 before we see deliveries Darryl?...o_O

20. Locoboof

Locoboof Member

Since I work about 3 miles from the factory in Fremont,I'd love to just go and pick it up.