Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picture of just about every charging adapter I could find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yes, I admit, I may have a problem.

I bought (most) all of this while waiting for my Model 3 and it was delayed for many weeks (Q3 pushback unlucky soul).

I actually have used a decent amount of it already, though I should not scare off potential EV owners. You really can be a totally happy EV owner with perhaps just he J1772 adapter in your car. (I personally also like having the UMC just in case)

My favorite here is what I dubbed “The Emergency Tesla Charging Station” back in 2012. (upper left of image) A friend got a Model S and wanted to take it on a trip to a friends lodge in the woods that was under construction (we did a day trip to do the network wiring) and so the night before I whipped it up using some leftover parts from a UPS we removed at work and a couple things from Home Depot. Nothing like going directly to the panel bus for power! It is the “universal” solution as long as you have the right breaker. :)

So can anyone here name all the adapters? It is a challenge!

989B3620-A2D4-44DD-9919-086FE068739F.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl and Arpe
Where’s your CHAdeMO adaptor?

How about a JLong (for when you inevitably get blocked out of a J1772 Charge station somewhere)?

I have anninsulated screwdriver, wire strippers and cutters, and a few simple hand tools with my electrical circuit breaker box kit. You should probably have a voltage tester for safety. Only two breakers? Gotta have at least SquareD, GE, Cuttler Hammer, Bussman, maybe a few others. I’d tend to get the split versions, so you could pop out a 15 amp breaker, and pop in your 15 amp / 50 amp unit. Everything will still work in the house or business, and there may not be an available slot to install your breaker.

Electrical tape and zip ties should also be in every kit.

You have a great start.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: linkster
Where’s your CHAdeMO adaptor?

How about a JLong (for when you inevitably get blocked out of a J1772 Charge station somewhere)?

I have anninsulated screwdriver, wire strippers and cutters, and a few simple hand tools with my electrical circuit breaker box kit. You should probably have a voltage tester for safety. Only two breakers? Gotta have at least SquareD, GE, Cuttler Hammer, Bussman, maybe a few others. I’d tend to get the split versions, so you could pop out a 15 amp breaker, and pop in your 15 amp / 50 amp unit. Everything will still work in the house or business, and there may not be an available slot to install your breaker.

Electrical tape and zip ties should also be in every kit.

You have a great start.

So this is not my end-all-be-all solution, just what I have collected so far. Honestly, I really need very little of it since my daily driving is only 30 miles and all the trips I take are generally within 310 miles of home (I do need to be able to charge at destination, but it is usually over a weekend so even taking 24+ hours to charge is fine).

I did not take a picture of my electrical tool bucket. I have a Fluke multimeter (electrician version), a Fluke clamp probe, circuit testers, circuit locators, insulated screwdrivers, electrical tape, strippers, and a whole ton of other stuff that I throw in the car as needed.

I have been meaning to get some additional breakers. I did not actually build that charging station for my M3, I did it for this one project with a friends Model S which needed a Siemens breaker (which I then also used another time temporarily for another friends Model S), and then I bought the second breaker for my dad's house (now that summer is over I need to go out there and installa 14-50 permanently).

My kit (not pictured: UMC Gen 1 + 40-foot cable with dual twist-lock ends):

View attachment 334596

All stored in this fishing rod case that fits perfectly in the Model S trunk well.

Very nicely done!

Yeah, I need to get a really long SOOW cable. It would have come in handy in a couple of locations now. The question is on connector types to put on it... NEC actually does not really allow for twist lock connectors for some reason, but who cares for this kind of an application. As sad as it is, it would seem 14-50 is the kind of universal standard for Tesla charging.

Just a simple basic set:

10-30, 14-30, 5-20 Mobile connector adapters.
A 20ft 14-30 extension cord.
A 10-30p to 14-30 plug adapter with ground

View attachment 334609 View attachment 334610

I have already used the extension cord with the 10-30p to 14-30 set up away from home

That is a good start I think. I would recommend adding a 14-50 to 5-15 (also works as 5-20) adapter to use on the end of your extension cord. Also, I like my 5-20 to 5-15 adapter which lets me suck a bit more juice off 20a circuits but that only have 15a receptacles (not necessarily 100% safe/compliant though I have had great luck in two use cases doing this now with no excessive heating).

I don't really like my EVSE adapters extension cord that much to be honest. It is cool that it has no neutral pin so I can plug it into a 14-50 or 14-30 and they drop the need for the neutral conductor, but it is too thick. For a UMC Gen 2 they could totally get away with one size down conductors. Also, 20' is just not enough. Needs to be say 30'.

Your "A 10-30p to 14-30 plug adapter with ground" adapter fascinates me! I have the EVSE adapters one which I am guessing just has the neutral pin tied to the ground pin. Yours obviously has it split out, but that means you need to find an actual good working ground for your UMC to actually function. It tests reference voltage to ground and won't function without ground. Have you actually used that adapter before successfully?

So this is not my end-all-be-all solution, just what I have collected so far. Honestly, I really need very little of it since my daily driving is only 30 miles and all the trips I take are generally within 310 miles of home (I do need to be able to charge at destination, but it is usually over a weekend so even taking 24+ hours to charge is fine).

I did not take a picture of my electrical tool bucket. I have a Fluke multimeter (electrician version), a Fluke clamp probe, circuit testers, circuit locators, insulated screwdrivers, electrical tape, strippers, and a whole ton of other stuff that I throw in the car as needed.

I have been meaning to get some additional breakers. I did not actually build that charging station for my M3, I did it for this one project with a friends Model S which needed a Siemens breaker (which I then also used another time temporarily for another friends Model S), and then I bought the second breaker for my dad's house (now that summer is over I need to go out there and installa 14-50 permanently).

Very nicely done!

Yeah, I need to get a really long SOOW cable. It would have come in handy in a couple of locations now. The question is on connector types to put on it... NEC actually does not really allow for twist lock connectors for some reason, but who cares for this kind of an application. As sad as it is, it would seem 14-50 is the kind of universal standard for Tesla charging.

That is a good start I think. I would recommend adding a 14-50 to 5-15 (also works as 5-20) adapter to use on the end of your extension cord. Also, I like my 5-20 to 5-15 adapter which lets me suck a bit more juice off 20a circuits but that only have 15a receptacles (not necessarily 100% safe/compliant though I have had great luck in two use cases doing this now with no excessive heating).

I don't really like my EVSE adapters extension cord that much to be honest. It is cool that it has no neutral pin so I can plug it into a 14-50 or 14-30 and they drop the need for the neutral conductor, but it is too thick. For a UMC Gen 2 they could totally get away with one size down conductors. Also, 20' is just not enough. Needs to be say 30'.

Your "A 10-30p to 14-30 plug adapter with ground" adapter fascinates me! I have the EVSE adapters one which I am guessing just has the neutral pin tied to the ground pin. Yours obviously has it split out, but that means you need to find an actual good working ground for your UMC to actually function. It tests reference voltage to ground and won't function without ground. Have you actually used that adapter before successfully?

When I first used the 10-30p/14-30 adapter connected to the 14-30 extension cord with the 14-30 mobile connector adapter, I got a red light on the mobile connector, and the car's screen displayed a warning about having no ground, I had to plug the ground pin from the 10-30p/14-30 adapter into another plug, then it worked.

Not sure If I had gone the other way around and used a 10-30 extension cord and the 10-30 mobile connector adapter, if I would have gotten the ground error light/message, maybe the 14-30 mobile connector makes it check grounding.

When I first used the 10-30p/14-30 adapter connected to the 14-30 extension cord with the 14-30 mobile connector adapter, I got a red light on the mobile connector, and the car's screen displayed a warning about having no ground, I had to plug the ground pin from the 10-30p/14-30 adapter into another plug, then it worked.

Not sure If I had gone the other way around and used a 10-30 extension cord and the 10-30 mobile connector adapter, if I would have gotten the ground error light/message, maybe the 14-30 mobile connector makes it check grounding.

The UMC will always check grounding regardless of what adapter or extension cord might be in play.

Note that by plugging that ground wire into "another plug" as you describe, you may get it to pass the test, but it might now have sufficient ground fault current capacity if what you plugged it into was a 15a or 20a circuit. You could potentially be asking it to carry 30a of current to ground for instance...

I am pretty positive the EVSE adapters adapter (which I have) is just tying the neutral to ground (which I think is obviously what the UMC factory adapter for 10-30 does as well). This seems like the best solution. I might suggest you switch your adapter as having to find a separate ground point with sufficient grounding ampacity seems like extra hassle.

Reactions: mpmeyer
So yes, I admit, I may have a problem.

I bought (most) all of this while waiting for my Model 3 and it was delayed for many weeks (Q3 pushback unlucky soul).

I actually have used a decent amount of it already, though I should not scare off potential EV owners. You really can be a totally happy EV owner with perhaps just he J1772 adapter in your car. (I personally also like having the UMC just in case)

My favorite here is what I dubbed “The Emergency Tesla Charging Station” back in 2012. (upper left of image) A friend got a Model S and wanted to take it on a trip to a friends lodge in the woods that was under construction (we did a day trip to do the network wiring) and so the night before I whipped it up using some leftover parts from a UPS we removed at work and a couple things from Home Depot. Nothing like going directly to the panel bus for power! It is the “universal” solution as long as you have the right breaker. :)

So can anyone here name all the adapters? It is a challenge!

View attachment 334517

Great collection, but you're missing the twist locks and a few of the older cables! L6-30P, L14-30P, 10-50P (a weird one that I encountered recently), etc.

We're playing the collect-them-all game by asking for various adapters for birthdays and Christmas. Sure beats socks! :D

As for naming them all, i'll give it a go, top left to bottom right:
  1. Awesome custom direct-tie cord, presumably with a NEMA 14-50R inside
  2. NEMA 14-XXP to 14-50R adapter/extension (neutral pin removed to make it universal)
  3. NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R
  4. NEMA 5-15P to 14-50R
  5. NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R (handy for camp grounds and highway rest areas with RV facilities)
  6. NEMA 5-15P to 5-20R
  7. J-1772 to Tesla (North America)
  8. 32 amp 2nd gen mobile connector (2gMC)
  9. NEMA 5-15P to 2gMC
  10. NEMA 5-20P to 2gMC
  11. NEMA 6-15P to 2gMC
  12. NEMA 6-20P to 2gMC
  13. NEMA 10-30P to 2gMC
  14. NEMA 14-30P to 2gMC
  15. NEMA 6-50P to 2gMC
  16. NEMA 14-50P to 2gMC
It's funny that I know almost all of these by heart, but I didn't before I started driving EVs.

Last edited:
Great collection, but you're missing the twist locks and a few of the older cables! L6-30P, L14-30P, 10-50P (a weird one that I encountered recently), etc.

We're playing the collect-them-all game by asking for various adapters for birthdays and Christmas. Sure beats socks! :D

As for naming them all, i'll give it a go, top left to bottom right:
  1. Awesome custom direct-tie cord, presumably with a NEMA 14-50R inside
  2. NEMA 14-XXP to 14-50R adapter/extension (neutral pin removed to make it universal)
  3. NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R
  4. NEMA 5-15P to 14-50R
  5. NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R (handy for camp grounds and highway rest areas with RV facilities)
  6. NEMA 5-15P to 5-20R
  7. J-1772 to Tesla (North America)
  8. 32 amp 2nd gen mobile connector (2gMC)
  9. NEMA 5-15P to 2gMC
  10. NEMA 5-20P to 2gMC
  11. NEMA 6-15P to 2gMC
  12. NEMA 6-20P to 2gMC
  13. NEMA 10-30P to 2gMC
  14. NEMA 14-30P to 2gMC
  15. NEMA 6-50P to 2gMC
  16. NEMA 14-50P to 2gMC
It's funny that I know almost all of these by heart, but I didn't before I started driving EVs.

You nailed it! Nicely done!

I do a LOT of work in datacenters with locking receptacles, though outside of DC's I don't often find them in the wild (except maybe in commercial situations). I kind of find it dumb that 2017 NEC Article 625 calls out specific types of receptacles for EV's and they are all the non-locking type. Very strange. (not that it would stop me from charging using a twist-lock connection)

10-50P is an interesting one! Is that like some old welder standard? Odd since it would be phase/phase/neutral (no ground). Maybe an old range plug before 14-50?

Oh, and what is this "California Connector" I have heard about?

Not to mention L21-xx connections. 3 phase! Can easily suck a single phase pair off of that for charging a North American Tesla

Reactions: Big Earl
It's not quite one of the NEMA standard ones, but it has an IEC name that is CS6364, but it's always just called "California Connector" for some reason. It's a 50 amp 120/240V twist lock.
50 Amp 125/250 VAC California Style Locking Connector Products & Solutions-Lex Products

And by the way, I was identifying the adapters in your picture, and that one with the purple receptacle is a 5-15P to 14-50R. What in the world for?! 5-15 always comes with the UMC, so why are you adapting it to 14-50? Ooooh, you have a really long 14-50 extension cord?

It's not quite one of the NEMA standard ones, but it has an IEC name that is CS6364, but it's always just called "California Connector" for some reason. It's a 50 amp 120/240V twist lock.
50 Amp 125/250 VAC California Style Locking Connector Products & Solutions-Lex Products

And by the way, I was identifying the adapters in your picture, and that one with the purple receptacle is a 5-15P to 14-50R. What in the world for?! 5-15 always comes with the UMC, so why are you adapting it to 14-50? Ooooh, you have a really long 14-50 extension cord?

You nailed it! (it let’s me use my extension cord)

What you are really seeing here is two strategies. at first I was buying adapters for the UMC directly, but then I realized that I wanted an extension cord solution. But then the issue is what ends do you put on it?

So what I came up with (that seems common) is to do the 14-50 extension cord (with no neutral) and then adapt from that.

Basically by getting that extension cord, you can use the factory NEMA 14-50 adapter and then the extension cord gives you the ability to plug into 14-50 or 14-30 by itself. Then I have the 10-30 and 5-15 adapter to go on the end of the extension cord. Since the wire gauge is sufficient you can use the 5-15 for 5-20 as well.

So that is a pretty efficient setup, though I wish my extension cord was one wire gauge smaller (UMC gen 2 is only 32 amps max) and that it was longer.

Now the downside to what I describe is that you have to carefully set max charge rates manually (it is not auto limited by the resistor in the adapter) and you are also don’t have the temperature sensors that monitor receptacle temperature.

So overall the factory parts have safety features that the system above I describe does not. (hence why I use them when I can)

What you are really seeing here is two strategies. at first I was buying adapters for the UMC directly, but then I realized that I wanted an extension cord solution. But then the issue is what ends do you put on it?

So what I came up with (that seems common) is to do the 14-50 extension cord (with no neutral) and then adapt from that.
I figured. I also did that, along with many other old timers, because during about late 2013 through 2015, Tesla only had about 2 or 3 adapters available, so everyone was having to adapt everything to 14-50 when it was the only thing they could do. I even built a 6-15P to 14-50R because I got a Quick220 that has a 6-15 output.

But I sure didn't want to deal with a gigantic bulky 14-50 cord just to use as an extension for 120V outlets, so I got another much thinner cord for that.

You nailed it! Nicely done!

I do a LOT of work in datacenters with locking receptacles, though outside of DC's I don't often find them in the wild (except maybe in commercial situations). I kind of find it dumb that 2017 NEC Article 625 calls out specific types of receptacles for EV's and they are all the non-locking type. Very strange. (not that it would stop me from charging using a twist-lock connection)

10-50P is an interesting one! Is that like some old welder standard? Odd since it would be phase/phase/neutral (no ground). Maybe an old range plug before 14-50?

Not to mention L21-xx connections. 3 phase! Can easily suck a single phase pair off of that for charging a North American Tesla

Bingo on the 10-50P. It seems to be commonly used as a range plug in older houses. I encountered it while visiting a friend and exploring our charging options. Since we didn't have this particular adapter, we ended up charging on 120 volts.

Regarding the "California Connector," I've seen these twist-lock connectors commonly used for shore power at marinas.

Yes, the CS6364 plug is out there, as is the NEMA 10-50. Here’s my “top 12”:

1) Adaptor "A" for RV parks, new clothes dryers, stoves and ovens (NEMA 14-60, 14-50, 14-30, 14-20, with removed neutral pin)

2) Adaptor "B" for welders and industrial (NEMA 6-50)

3) Adaptor "C" for older electric clothes dryers (NEMA 10-30)

4) Adaptor "D" for RV parks with "30 amp" service" (TT-30)

5) Adaptor "E" for 30 amp light industrial (NEMA 6-30)

6) Adaptor "F" for 30 amp locking plug (NEMA L6-30)

7) Adaptor "G" for 30 amp Generators with Pure Sine Wave (NEMA L14-30)

8) Adaptor "H" for 20 amp Generators with Pure Sine Wave (NEMA L14-20)

9) Adaptor "J" for Air Conditioners 240 volt / 20 amp (NEMA 6-20)

10) Adaptor "K" for Air Conditioners 240 volt / 15 amp (NEMA 6-15)

11) Adaptor "L" for commercial 120 volt / 20 amp (NEMA 5-20)

12) Adaptor “M” for normal household 120 volt / 15 amp (NEMA 5-15)

.... Quick220 that has a 6-15 output.

But I sure didn't want to deal with a gigantic bulky 14-50 cord just to use as an extension for 120V outlets, so I got another much thinner cord for that.

Yes, Quick 220 can be very convenient, and as you note, it requires a 6-15 adaptor for the first generation 40 amp UMC. I recommend using an adaptor from NEMA 6-15P to NEMA 5-15R, so there is no chance of overloading the circuit. Just clearly mark the adaptor for DANGER * 208-240 VOLTS ONLY * DANGER with yellow and red electrical tape.

The second generation 32 amp UMC (late 2017 and newer Tesla cars) has an available NEMA 6-15 plug that works perfect with Quick 220.

If you don’t like bulky 14-50 extension cables, you’ll love a light weight 40 amp capable cable like JLong. 20 feet weighs less than 7 pounds. 50 feet weighs about 14 pounds.

Reactions: Rocky_H