Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa.. check out the water pouring into the trunk at 2:06 in the video? You can see the drips in the trunk at 2:12.

So what's really happening is the water ran down the window and most of it was caught by the inner trunk lip and diverted around the trunk and a few drops made it past it into the trunk.

Anyone catch the employee say "Tesla is floundering... they don't know what they're doing"? Probably not something you want to be saying when you're still employed by Tesla.

Edit: reading the comments, the employee was supposedly being sarcastic.

Also, I noticed that rear windows roll down slightly when the rear door is opened? I wonder if that is why there is no way to manually open the rear doors. Can't open the rear door unless the windows are rolled down a couple of inches.
Seems overly complicated if you ask me.

Last edited:
Imagine what would happen if there was 4 inches of snow on the rear window/roof! Trunk-full-o-snow.

I drive a Honda Civic, and if I open the trunk with a couple of inches of snow on top, some will slide into the trunk. When the trunk is opened, snow from the back window can fall in, and snow from the top of the trunk lid can fall down into the gap between the lid and body of the car and then into the trunk.

Some water will splash in if there is water beaded on top of the trunk.

Also, I noticed that rear windows roll down slightly when the rear door is opened? I wonder if that is why there is no way to manually open the rear doors. Can't open the rear door unless the windows are rolled down a couple of inches. Seems overly complicated if you ask me.

This is a common feature in luxury cars with frameless windows. There was a Model 3 video from OCDetailing where the effect can be seen in the front doors too. When opening the doors, the window quickly slides down from under the seal, so that the door can easily open. When the door is closed, the window slides up a bit to seal.

It is overly complicated compared to a framed window, and I actually prefer framed windows from a practical standpoint.

The other way to implement a frameless window is simply to have the glass press flat against a rubber seal mounted the the doorframe. This is the implementation that Subaru used as recently as the 90's and early 2000's. The downside is greater potential for leaks if the seal weakens or becomes displaced a bit, and potential for increased wind noise. Subaru ditched this design for conventional framed windows around 2009-2010.

Reactions: JRP3 and Waiting4M3
I found VIN 63 here in a San Fernando Valley gym a few days ago. I think it might've been the same one I saw last month in Culver City.

I'm always on the lookout for Model 3s in Los Angeles and I managed to find one during my early workout in the valley out of all places. I rarely even see Model S's around here so this was a nice surprise!

r0fuGpE.jpg

8WlciDC.jpg

UdBH6OB.jpg

Edit: Looks like I can finally rate posts now! I didn't know you had to post photos of the Model 3 to unlock that feature!

Anyone catch the employee say "Tesla is floundering... they don't know what they're doing"? Probably not something you want to be saying when you're still employed by Tesla.

Edit: reading the comments, the employee was supposedly being sarcastic.

Also, I noticed that rear windows roll down slightly when the rear door is opened? I wonder if that is why there is no way to manually open the rear doors. Can't open the rear door unless the windows are rolled down a couple of inches.
Seems overly complicated if you ask me.
Yes he was mocking naysayers / Tesla doom-watchers /etc.

Frameless doors, ~4:05 (or click this link):

And that's why when you use manual handle with the front doors you will get a note on the dash that you shouldn't do that - that you could damage doors' trim (see Doug's review).

---------------------

#400, Redwood City • r/teslamotors

ge6yg8slglxz.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa.. check out the water pouring into the trunk at 2:06 in the video? You can see the drips in the trunk at 2:12.
I understand in California, a few drops of water dripping down when the trunk is opening in the rain can be described as pouring, but people in Houston, Florida and Puerto Rico are probably laughing their asses off right now.

I understand in California, a few drops of water dripping down when the trunk is opening in the rain can be described as pouring, but people in Houston, Florida and Puerto Rico are probably laughing their asses off right now.
100 inches of rain fell where I work in CA last year in a 6 month period... still laughing :D

Most vehicles have a channel that collects that runoff....Is this Tesla inexperience or simply an engineering trade that was made for aerodynamic/large opening reasons?

I have 2016 VW Beetle with a spoiler on the rear window. There's no gap between, it's fixed straight against the window. I hate it when it's raining (and I live in Seattle), as it pools water between the spoiler and the window, and pours all of it inside the trunk when open. I've been thinking drilling a hole through the spoiler at couple spots to make way for the water to drain.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
Status
Not open for further replies.