Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placed model Y order and immediately got a VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So literally, right after I clicked submit, I was assigned a VIN. Is it pretty much a guarantee that this is a reject? It's in the 780** range. Estimated delivery says Dec 7-13th.
It's possible, but I wouldn't immediately jump to assuming it's a "reject." That term is also loaded because it can mean different things to different people. Even if it is a "reject", that doesn't always mean something is wrong with the vehicle. Either way, your approach to due diligence before you drive away should be the same.

I ordered mine on 11/21 and had the VIN assigned I believe on 11/24. I pick it up on Saturday. My SA said it's an "inventory" vehicle that was headed to STL already, and my order matched it. We'll see if there's anything wrong with it in a few days!

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
It could be someone wanted to change the color but this car already was being made and sent off to that area. Or someone purchased a demo vehicle that became available and this one is now extra. OR someone switched from Performance to LR or the other way around. Or Tesla just made more of that specific color than it turned out there were orders for and now there are a couple inventory cars. There are a number of reasons why Tesla might have a car waiting to be delivered.

Reactions: CO_MY
Interesting, as I think they are in the 84xxx's for VIN's being produced now.

My VIN was a few thousand behind when it was assigned to me and it was literally rolling onto a truck from CA to be shipped up to OR. They make a bunch of cars every day, now if it was a 50,000 VIN number or something that might be interesting, but within 10k doesn't really surprise me.

Happened to me. Placed an order for a white on black PUP on 9/29 and got a VIN immediately and delivered the next day on 9/30. Probably a Q3 push and outside of realigning the front doors no other QC issues for me. Someone most likely voluntary or involuntary backed out and just got lucky.

There is no need to constantly suspect Tesla is trying to stiff you.

Earlier a few years ago, cars were manufactured only after someone submits their configuration. And they get shipped to Texas only after the full amount is paid.

Now since their production volume has increased, cars are made in different configurations on a ratio of likely sales, and as soon as a customer orders a specific configuration a matching VIN is identified that is already in the production line, or just produced a day or two earlier. If you had ordered one at the beginning of the qurater then the wait is a few weeks, since Euro cars are made beginning of the quarter. If it is towards the end you will get a VIN in a day or two, sometimes right away.

There is no shenanigan going on.

^^^this. VINs are NOT SEQUENTIAL, so don't be fooled.

We had to give up a red/white LR (72xxx) around Nov. 23, as our financing was delayed, so someone picked it up around Dec. 1, out of "inventory."

SC contact said we'll have a new VIN shortly, red/white configuration might be in "inventory". Inventory??? He tried to explain, but couldn't.

I've been on this site for a little over a month, reading how inconsistent Tesla's ordering policy is, and everyone trying to find a pattern.

One word comes to mind about Tesla's ordering policy. Mercurial!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker