Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Places to look for used vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Tampa
i may be missing something but other than the usual suspects (autotrader and car gurus) where else is there to look for used vehicles. I looked on the forum classifieds and that’s just a glorified podding contest. CPO just stopped FSO so that leaves me with 3rd party who have a hard time answering questions and their poetic license muddies the water when they describe standard audio as ‘enhanced premium entertainment system’ and ‘premium partial leather’
I’m being picky because it’s a family car so I have to please 2 people. Tried the model 3 and it’s just not for us. Tesla have loaned me a 2015 P85D and while the performance is nice it’s not exactly used a lot. A 85D or 75D would work. Is there some secret site that these vehicles turn up on because I cannot find anything close to what I want and I’m prepared to travel anywhere in Canada. Ontario would be ideal but I’m not restricted by distance.

i may be missing something but other than the usual suspects (autotrader and car gurus) where else is there to look for used vehicles. I looked on the forum classifieds and that’s just a glorified podding contest. CPO just stopped FSO so that leaves me with 3rd party who have a hard time answering questions and their poetic license muddies the water when they describe standard audio as ‘enhanced premium entertainment system’ and ‘premium partial leather’
I’m being picky because it’s a family car so I have to please 2 people. Tried the model 3 and it’s just not for us. Tesla have loaned me a 2015 P85D and while the performance is nice it’s not exactly used a lot. A 85D or 75D would work. Is there some secret site that these vehicles turn up on because I cannot find anything close to what I want and I’m prepared to travel anywhere in Canada. Ontario would be ideal but I’m not restricted by distance.
My suggestion is that assuming the FSO actually does transfer on a used vehicle, a Tesla CPO warranty for 4years/50k miles is significantly more valuable than FSO on a cost basis. Its value of course is going to depend on the amount you plan to depend on Supercharging or on long distance travel. Charging at home is inexpensive, even in New York State.One thing is pretty certain, for parts and repairs it's going to the Tesla Service center, not wherever it's purchased. The forum boards suggest for example a door handle replacement can be over $1000 and labor costs are high.

Last edited:
I don't know of any sellers that specialize in "re-selling" of Tesla's. There are a few third party sellers that sell more than most and they sometimes have several (6-12) cars listed. I purchased my 2nd car from a third party that didn't even know that the car was manufactured in the US, or how to open the frunk.
You will need to do your own research on the car you are considering and having a good relationship with a local SC can help track service history.

Shift motors in Burlington sells a lot of Tesla's I've seen them posted on AutoTrader quite a bit and they claim to have over 40 for sale at times when I visited their website.

http://shiftmotors.com/

There also used to also be a website that listed the CPO offerings from Tesla, but they don't seem to have any listed right now. If you Google CPO Hunter it will take you to that website.

Edit: CPO Hunter (https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/) wasn't showing cars on my phone, but on my desktop it does show a bunch of S/X for canada. And even an inventory AWD model 3. Note these are Tesla CPOs, so any S/X would have had free supercharging removed I believe according to latest threads. Buying private you would get that grandfathered in if it was on the car initially.

Last edited:
There also used to also be a website that listed the CPO offerings from Tesla, but they don't seem to have any listed right now. If you Google CPO Hunter it will take you to that website.

Edit: CPO Hunter (https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/) wasn't showing cars on my phone, but on my desktop it does show a bunch of S/X for canada. And even an inventory AWD model 3.

It was a temporary glitch, now fixed.

Also, as far as I know, it's still not possible to import a US car into Canada. So for at least for now, you're stuck with Teslas already in Canada. I know Elon tweeted about this recently, but changes like that don't happen overnight. (edit: you can still drive a US car into Canada, I've done it, you just can't import one).

Shift Motors is a reputable organization, I've dealt with them a few times.

You also might want to contact Current Auto (Current Automotive | Pre-Owned Electric Vehicle Store in Naperville, IL) -- while the are located in the US (Chicago), they are ex-Tesla employees and might know of some sources to find cars for you in Canada.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8
EV-CPO no supercharging.
Shift is the most useless place ever, like shady realtors they keep past cars on their site to make it look like they have a lot of inventory and good prices, the reality is they just never remove the cars they do sell, the 50k 90D was sold months ago, as wal the blue roadster, as was the p75d in white, al of them, the 85d in grey. It's just bait. Don't want to deal with them to be honest

Yes, that's true as of this week. I wasn't sure what you meant by that comment. But Tesla used cars (they don't call them CPO anymore) do come with the 2 or 4 year warranty, so that is a bonus over private sales.

Also, any car sold after Jan 2017 may or may not come with transferrable free supercharging. So you have to look out for that.

• Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8
I totally understand, thats why I'm so baffled, 2015-17 is my target group. I plan on keeping the car longer than 4 years and the distance I travel makes the FSC more desirable. Even looking at CPO theres nothing that fits my needs, theres only 10 cars right now. None in White or Soft Grey with air suspension.

What your saying about Shift Motors is the complete opposite of what I experienced. Great people to deal with and the sales process was a breeze. It was easier than dealing with a typical dealership.
My 2013 P85 isn't up on the site, and wasn't a week after I bought it. I think you need to get your facts straight before talking about companies.

I've only had the car for 5 weeks so my experience is very recent.

Shift is the most useless place ever, like shady realtors they keep past cars on their site to make it look like they have a lot of inventory and good prices, the reality is they just never remove the cars they do sell, the 50k 90D was sold months ago, as wal the blue roadster, as was the p75d in white, al of them, the 85d in grey. It's just bait. Don't want to deal with them to be honest

What your saying about Shift Motors is the complete opposite of what I experienced. Great people to deal with and the sales process was a breeze. It was easier than dealing with a typical dealership.
My 2013 P85 isn't up on the site, and wasn't a week after I bought it. I think you need to get your facts straight before talking about companies.

I've only had the car for 5 weeks so my experience is very recent.

Interesting comments....I noticed they have a performance model 3 for 79k and 3k km....I was toying with the idea of calling them and seeing what they would offer on a trade for my AWD just for fun kind of, as I dont expect it would be something I could convince myself to do since I have a lot of work already done to mine I would need to repeat (ceramic, tints, wheels, chrome delete, painted calipers)...but given a brand new P3D+ is 75k they wont be able to sell that one for 79k with 3k km on it. Maybe they could get 70-72k for it, and then if the trade factors in my favor maybe there is something that could be worked out since trading in would save the tax on the trade in value....if they are decent to work with they might find a way to make this deal happen, if they are shady then well that would not work out. If their P3D+ was white then I would seriously consider it, but not sure I like the black/white seats combo for me...though it does look unique.

I'd also suggesting letting Shift know what you're looking for. Once they have something in the parameters you need, they'll contact you.

Apparently they used to get all used Teslas from Tesla that weren't quite CPO'able, then Tesla decided to put them all to auction. So if Shift knows what you want and the price range, they can try to grab for you at auction. They seem decent, and are well respected by Tesla as well - I had a service tech tell me that's the only place he'd buy a Tesla besides directly.

I tried that with SHIFT. I went up the scale car by car. My facts are very straight. The good thing about auto trader is it shows how long the ad is up. I called about cars a month back and they were sold then, they are still up for sale now. 3 cars now so I decided I simply won’t deal with them. Why would they still have the roadster for sale? The 50k 2016 90D? My experience with them so far has been poor, if I don’t trust them then nothing you can say will change that. It’s unfortunate but I can not undo that. I’m not here to bash companies, so let’s just say for me, that company is out.

I’m set on a model S, I’ve been using the loaner for 6 weeks and we have both come to like it better than we thought. A model X is way to big for what I want, need.
Maybe the pickings are just slim in Canada and I’ll simply keep doing what I’m already doing. Cars turn up but they all seem to be Blue and that’s not allowed :(