Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are NOT the only one experiencing this! I think the lack of response is because this is just beginning to show up for many of us. I'm the owner of a '21 Plaid w/21's and have the exact same issue. Spent the early part of this week going through all the chaos of identifying the problem, trying to find replacement tires, and dealing with Tesla Service. All have been a nightmare!

My issue started with a low pressure warning which I thought was a simple nail puncture. Discount Tire was convenient and I had great luck with them for years so this was my first stop. Imagine my surprise when I found the entire inside tire worn and delaminated. I cautiously (perhaps stupidly) made it home and had Tesla Roadside pick up the car (I'll spare the frustration of trying to have someone, anyone at Tesla be able to tell me if they had a tire in stock before it was towed....aaargh!). The rest of the story is are as yours....pound sand, we don't warranty tires. Luckily they had one tire and managed to find another so both of my rears are replaced. I thought it was only one side, but turned out to be both.

TLDR..... 2021 Plaid, 21" Arachnids, 100% stock, 13k miles, two demolished rear tires with even wear except extreme inside edge, no support from Tesla.
WOW such similar experience EXCEPT I only made it to 6k miles!!! Great job on getting 13k out of rear 21" tires- I've never gotten more than 6k as my 2013 P+ was the same issue. I was hoping 10 years of engineering would have fixed it. I would not be complaining personally if I got anything above 10k miles!!

It’s puzzling. I’m lowered an inch. 2.2° of negative camber in the rear. I’m on the throttle hard several times a day. Rounding 12,000mi and my tires look like this
image.jpg

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
It’s puzzling. I’m lowered an inch. 2.2° of negative camber in the rear. I’m on the throttle hard several times a day. Rounding 12,000mi and my tires look like this View attachment 834209
So do mine. The wear is ON THE INNER SIDEWALL (See pics I previously posted). That is what is so maddening. IT is different than the wear of my past 2013 P+ which you could see on the inner tread. This wear is micro fractures on the side wall not touching tread.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
So do mine. The wear is ON THE INNER SIDEWALL (See pics I previously posted). That is what is so maddening. IT is different than the wear of my past 2013 P+ which you could see on the inner tread. This wear is micro fractures on the side wall not touching tread.
Which isn’t wear then. It’s fatigue failure or internal friction from sidewall flex. This would be influenced by low tire pressure.

This! Mine look great all across the tread, the problem is on the very inside edge on the ‘corner’ of the tire. I’m familiar with camber wear from years of BMWs and this does not seem the same. If I knew how to post pics you’d see something similar (albeit a bit worse) than KOL2000. In fact, I only realized the problem at 13k miles…the danger happened well before.

Seems as if posting from a mobile is more simple than a desktop…please excuse me, I’ve been a lurker for a long time.

Here is my passenger side rear:
View attachment 834430
View attachment 834431

And drivers side rear:
View attachment 834432
View attachment 834433
Truly excellent photographs.

Given this peculiar failure mode, I suspect it's actually a tire defect with the Michelin tires perhaps.

The Plaid can produce more torque/acceleration than any other production automobile. Perhaps we are literally peeling the tread away from the tire's inner structure due to the power and weight?

Has anyone had success in getting replacements at no cost/warranty from Michelin yet?

I’ve got same problem and the tire isn’t rubbing anything, luckily the Georgia lemon law will make them give my money back as a serious safety problem. If your loosing that air now I’d recommend getting a new tire and save it for proof. My second one went out going around a curve at 75 and even though it’s the rear tire, the car responded terrible
John, I’m also in GA. Did you actually succeed in getting a lemon law claim on the tires? Was this against Tesla or Michelin? I’ve already bought two new rears (through Tesla with no warranty), but would surely like either Michelin or Tesla to step up here. Clearly this is some type of defect. Any tips for filing a claim would be great.

Reactions: Zee9 and TSLA Pilot
Has anyone checked the inner fender and frame for rub marks?
It would be quite obvious if this was the origin as there would be some bare, shiny metal or something along the tire radius that would indicate it was being "lathed" by the tire.

I am really leaning towards internal tire degradation from the relentless torque, and this would be also indicated by the anecdotal posts here that this issue seems to impact Plaids almost exclusively?

It would be quite obvious if this was the origin as there would be some bare, shiny metal or something along the tire radius that would indicate it was being "lathed" by the tire.

I am really leaning towards internal tire degradation from the relentless torque, and this would be also indicated by the anecdotal posts here that this issue seems to impact Plaids almost exclusively?
Look at this picture, The area marked it too clean, It looks like the tire has been lathed which gives as indication that something is rubbing. Torque has a more shearing force

Attachments

• 42CE83DD-05E0-4D5F-8994-DF018A3AD7DB.jpeg
    42CE83DD-05E0-4D5F-8994-DF018A3AD7DB.jpeg
    888.1 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: MP3Mike
Look at this picture, The area marked it too clean, It looks like the tire has been lathed which gives as indication that something is rubbing. Torque has a more shearing force
It does look that way from the photo, BUT there would have to be some correspondingly “polished” markings on some suspension or wheel well component.

No one has yet found one AFAIK.

This is perplexing and both Michelin and Tesla should be investigating these tire failures stat.

Now of much greater concern is why our Plaid’s right rear tire has been losing a few psi every few weeks—perhaps the TMC Forum has saved a life with this thread?

Will examine the tires upon my return to the US….

It does look that way from the photo, BUT there would have to be some correspondingly “polished” markings on some suspension or wheel well component.

No one has yet found one AFAIK.

This is perplexing and both Michelin and Tesla should be investigating these tire failures stat.

Now of much greater concern is why our Plaid’s right rear tire has been losing a few psi every few weeks—perhaps the TMC Forum has saved a life with this thread?

Will examine the tires upon my return to the US….
That is why someone should look very carefully. Check the shock, subframe cradle and inner fender