Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrified Garage outside Orlando quoted me $1,400 labor only to install the toe and camber arms. So that is pushing $3,000 with the parts. I can buy a lot of tires (with Michelin reimbursements) for that kind of change.
$1300 for labor only? Good lord man find somewhere else.

It should be 2 or 3 hours of billed shop labor max + alignment cost (whatever that is). My last bill was $3100, that included a $250 alignment, $2000 for the unplugged camber arms (overnighted), the install of the unplugged toe arms, then troubleshooting the n2itive arms (that another shop damaged), removing the n2itive arms, installing the UP arms, shifting the front subframe to dial in the alignment better, then a second alignment adjustment after a test drive to tweak the settings more + taxes (included in the $3100).

So I got all of that labor done for less than what that shop wants to charge you for installing toe and camber arms? Sounds like they're thinking since you have an expensive car, you'll pay triple for service for no reason.

$1300 for labor only? Good lord man find somewhere else.

It should be 2 or 3 hours of billed shop labor max + alignment cost (whatever that is). My last bill was $3100, that included a $250 alignment, $2000 for the unplugged camber arms (overnighted), the install of the unplugged toe arms, then troubleshooting the n2itive arms (that another shop damaged), removing the n2itive arms, installing the UP arms, shifting the front subframe to dial in the alignment better, then a second alignment adjustment after a test drive to tweak the settings more + taxes (included in the $3100).

So I got all of that labor done for less than what that shop wants to charge you for installing toe and camber arms? Sounds like they're thinking since you have an expensive car, you'll pay triple for service for no reason.
I paid $1500 for all the MPP front and rear arms and bushing replacements.

Reactions: Sam1
Electrified Garage outside Orlando quoted me $1,400 labor only to install the toe and camber arms. So that is pushing $3,000 with the parts. I can buy a lot of tires (with Michelin reimbursements) for that kind of change.
Yeah that’s nuts. Shouldn’t be more than $700 for install and alignment combined.

It’s only three bolts per side. I did my own in less than 2 hours from jack up to wheels back on torqued. And I went very slow.

So did you guys order just the adjustable camber arms from N2itive, or did you also order adjustable toe arms? I thought the toe arms were already adjustable on the refresh S. I don’t think I need the lowering arms….I don’t mind the 43mph shimmy. I’ve gotten used to it.

So did you guys order just the adjustable camber arms from N2itive, or did you also order adjustable toe arms? I thought the toe arms were already adjustable on the refresh S. I don’t think I need the lowering arms….I don’t mind the 43mph shimmy. I’ve gotten used to it.
OEM toe arms are adjustable, but the bushing is pretty soft. You'll 100% feel a big difference in the tightness of the rear end under heavy throttle & in one of these threads I posted comparison videos showing how much flex a completely factory rear has, compared to with aftermarket toe & camber arms (which had absolutely no flex from launch to shutdown).

As far as brand goes, I have no preference. Would go with whoever you prefer. I would have loved to have saved $1000 and kept the n2itive arms, but was in a pickle and unplugged was able to get me replacements within 12 hours of ordering.

I also can't use the lowering links, too many speed bumps in Vegas to even consider it.

I went ahead and ordered just the N2itive TARTAN SX-P2 2021+ Tesla Model S/X PLAID & Long Range Forged Adjustable Rear Upper Camber Arms. I drive like an old man, so I don’t need the stiffer bushings. All I’m looking for is getting more than 15,000 miles out of my tires, and not risking a tread separation far from home. If these little metal things accomplish this, then it is $1,600 all-in well spent. I can’t imagine why Tesla hasn’t fixed this issue in the past decade, but then again, it’s Tesla. Quirks and all, I still love my Plaid and haven’t found anything close that can replace it.

I went ahead and ordered just the N2itive TARTAN SX-P2 2021+ Tesla Model S/X PLAID & Long Range Forged Adjustable Rear Upper Camber Arms. I drive like an old man, so I don’t need the stiffer bushings. All I’m looking for is getting more than 15,000 miles out of my tires, and not risking a tread separation far from home. If these little metal things accomplish this, then it is $1,600 all-in well spent. I can’t imagine why Tesla hasn’t fixed this issue in the past decade, but then again, it’s Tesla. Quirks and all, I still love my Plaid and haven’t found anything close that can replace it.
What did you order. The SX-P2 arms
alone aren’t $1,600. And they aren’t little. Lol.

Attachments

• 1DDDBE3F-7D83-423C-8F9D-7EDAAF36FD59.jpeg
    1DDDBE3F-7D83-423C-8F9D-7EDAAF36FD59.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi all. I have around 3,000 miles on my 20" Michelins PS4S MO1 MERCEDES, ACOUSTIC TECH XL staggered set with 265/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with OEM suspension settings driving always in LOW. Note that I don't have a heavy foot.

I just read the 42 pages of this thread and I'm still not sure if I need rear control arms for camber since all tire wear issues reported are 21s".

Is it worth it to take the car to a shop to check the actual alignment before spending $2,000 in parts and labor to avoid a "possible" tire wear issue?.

Also, how important is it to install lowering links due to a "possible" shudder issue?.

Thanks.

Perfect visual example at what negative toe does to these 21” tires.
Yes, of course.

That's why there's another thread with dozens and dozens of Tesla Plaid OEM Pirelli tire failures as well . . . except that there isn't another thread.

Any alignment variances would show up equally on both 19" and 21" wheel MS's, yet the hundreds or thousands of tire failures occurring in the field apply exclusively to the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. It's time for Michelin to announce the recall. (Far better for all to do so before someone gets hurt.)

Reactions: Nickos
What did you order. The SX-P2 arms
alone aren’t $1,600. And they aren’t little. Lol.

TARTAN SX-P2 2021+ Tesla Model S/X PLAID & Long Range Forged Adjustable Rear Upper Camber Arms (1 PAIR) - Natural Anodized (6-Year Warranty)
Finish:Natural Anodized (6-Year Warranty)
1 $995.00

Labor is $570 including the alignment. So all-in at $1,565.

Have you guys done a comparison of the DOT code on the delaminating 21” Michelins? It’d be interesting to see what the factory/plant code is on the ones delaminating. Could point to a manufacturing defect at a particular plant (digits right after DOT) or even a particular batch (last 4 digits - manufacturing week)

Hi all. I have around 3,000 miles on my 20" Michelins PS4S MO1 MERCEDES, ACOUSTIC TECH XL staggered set with 265/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with OEM suspension settings driving always in LOW. Note that I don't have a heavy foot.

I just read the 42 pages of this thread and I'm still not sure if I need rear control arms for camber since all tire wear issues reported are 21s".

Is it worth it to take the car to a shop to check the actual alignment before spending $2,000 in parts and labor to avoid a "possible" tire wear issue?.

Also, how important is it to install lowering links due to a "possible" shudder issue?.

Thanks.
Any input from my post above?

….to add…

How many miles does anyone here have since installing the adjustable camber arms? Specifically anyone who had the tread separation prior to installing the arms, and now over 15,000 miles since installing the arms with no more tread issues?

I spent the money to rule out alignment as a causal factor, but I’m not convinced. It still could be a specific faulty lot of tires, as someone has pointed out. The fact that there are not thousands of these tread separations leads me to believe the latter.

Any input from my post above?
If you don't see any wear on the inside shoulders of your rear tires, you are probably fine. But, look closely. It's hard to see, because it is really just the very inner-most edge.

It's not important to install lowering links, unless you are bothered by the subtle vibration under light acceleration between 40-50 mph. This is on the refresh (21+) model S. Not all cars have it, so you might not have it.