Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
….to add…

How many miles does anyone here have since installing the adjustable camber arms? Specifically anyone who had the tread separation prior to installing the arms, and now over 15,000 miles since installing the arms with no more tread issues?

I spent the money to rule out alignment as a causal factor, but I’m not convinced. It still could be a specific faulty lot of tires, as someone has pointed out. The fact that there are not thousands of these tread separations leads me to believe the latter.
I don't really understand the slow air leak either. That's an odd one. I've got it in my right rear, with no obvious damage.

My understanding is the slow air leak is the first indication of pending tread separation. The tread is pulling away from the sidewall and making a crack too small to yet see, but large enough to allow the air to slowly leak. The crack will grow and eventually separate the tread from the sidewall. I could hear the hissing of air escaping my tire after the tread separated. Interestingly the PSI never went below 30psi according to the Tesla service screen, but maybe that’s the lowest it registers on the screen. I put air in it to 42 psi and it went right back to 30 psi within several hours.

Reactions: headcase
My understanding is the slow air leak is the first indication of pending tread separation. The tread is pulling away from the sidewall and making a crack too small to yet see, but large enough to allow the air to slowly leak. The crack will grow and eventually separate the tread from the sidewall. I could hear the hissing of air escaping my tire after the tread separated. Interestingly the PSI never went below 30psi according to the Tesla service screen, but maybe that’s the lowest it registers on the screen. I put air in it to 42 psi and it went right back to 30 psi within several hours.
Fun! That's what I'm guessing too. Mine has been like that for a few months. Loses a few psi each week.

Excellent photographs.

Questions:

1. How is the passenger's side rear in comparison? A little bit better but nor by much

2. How much, if any, pressure loss did you have prior to this discovery? About 3-4 PSI a week I would say. I went from 40 to 36 in a week.

3. Were you able to find any replacements from Michelin in the correct size?Yes, from Dsicounttires. Called micheline and got 60% discount due to the warranty.

yes, my drier side was losing about 4 PSI a week and the passenger side about 1-2 PSI. The driver's side had way larger damage than the passenger side.

This is the exact experience I had.

In other news, I am at a Tesla Service Center right now.

They are unwilling to do the alignment in "low" suspension mode.
They said they have to do the alignment in "standard" mode.
I pointed out that the car has an option to "default to low mode", which would make "low" the standard, but they are still unwilling to do the alignment in low.

Perhaps this is the crux of the problem.

Thoughts?

Have you guys done a comparison of the DOT code on the delaminating 21” Michelins? It’d be interesting to see what the factory/plant code is on the ones delaminating. Could point to a manufacturing defect at a particular plant (digits right after DOT) or even a particular batch (last 4 digits - manufacturing week)

Of course they delaminate when you wear down the sidewall where all of the laminations are fused. Rub the end of a kit kat bar on the ground until the end wears off, and then be surprised when you see all the layers.

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
The car is faster with the 19" on top of everything else. 21" look awesome, but that's the literal only benefit.
Absolutely.. The one I picked up has the 21's and looks great, but personally i'd rather have the extra 50 miles of range, no clicking/skipping when going in reverse and not worrying about the tires exploding lol

Have a '23 MSP w/ 21s on order....reading this thread is making me think of changing to 19s....

Everyone here is crazy. Stick with the 21s.

Seriously, the 21s are great. Ride is smooth and handling I great. Looks are best. Choose the right tires and keep alignment in spec. You will be fine.

My other set of wheels for this car is a 20" set. I like those way over 19.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: tatoweb and Sam1
Again while I hate to come out of pocket, I did because I like the look of 21” wheels.

If you frequent the Model S Facebook groups you will also see people with other size wheels/tires having camber related wear. Though I have to admit the 21” tires seem to have the most complaints.

The sidewall delaminating does appear to be Michelin specific. Unfortunately the Michelins as of now are the best “performance” tire in the 21” sizes we need. I guess we could switch to Falkins but would be giving up quite a bit of dry and wet performance.

Regardless, after adding the rear adjustable camber arms it’s nice to now have complete control over the rear suspension setting no matter what wheel and tire package I choose. No matter how much I want to lower or not. And to be able to specify proper alignment settings for the ride height I primarily (forced or otherwise) drive in.

Negative Camber wear is one thing. The delaminating sidewall issue it totally another. It’s potentially a fatal result waiting to happen.

….to add…

How many miles does anyone here have since installing the adjustable camber arms? Specifically anyone who had the tread separation prior to installing the arms, and now over 15,000 miles since installing the arms with no more tread issues?

I spent the money to rule out alignment as a causal factor, but I’m not convinced. It still could be a specific faulty lot of tires, as someone has pointed out. The fact that there are not thousands of these tread separations leads me to believe the latter.

Replace a set of PS4S at 30k miles that had very even wear. I have 10k on my current set.

Have a '23 MSP w/ 21s on order....reading this thread is making me think of changing to 19s....

You have a Performance car, stick with 21s or 20s, not 19s.

Reactions: Propofoln