Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
Peter
9FB391D2-DBCC-48BB-8188-C2DFC57A1036.png

Disabling the wheel speed sensor makes the EPS fault as well. Big tire model 3 guys have learned this on track.
Yes, I helped out a friend a few weeks ago when his sensor wire was rubbed thru on his Model 3 which had just had more camber added to the front. It's not a great idea to drive a Tesla on track with a speed sensor fault. Apart from anything, it's too easy to lock the brakes and end up with flat-spotted tyres.

Reactions: Texas
Upvote 0
RB is looking to sponsor 3 track drives with the following qualification to test drive this Track Kit:
  1. Minimum 3 years track experience.
  2. Car must be a dedicated track car and is one of the listed American Muscle cars, plus GT-R and M5.
  3. Rebuilding calipers at least once.
Qualified individual will
  • Receive 30-50% discount on purchase.
  • 100% warranty against any performance issue at any tracking condition as fast as you can run your Plaid on tracks
  • If your brake task is determined to be above what this iron kit can handle, the CCB kit will be replaced at cost difference (100% credit on iron kit purchase).
Please contact us for further details if you are qualified and interested.

Upvote 1
RB is looking to sponsor 3 track drives with the following qualification to test drive this Track Kit:
  1. Minimum 3 years track experience.
  2. Car must be a dedicated track car and is one of the listed American Muscle cars, plus GT-R and M5.
  3. Rebuilding calipers at least once.
Qualified individual will
  • Receive 30-50% discount on purchase.
  • 100% warranty against any performance issue at any tracking condition as fast as you can run your Plaid on tracks
  • If your brake task is determined to be above what this iron kit can handle, the CCB kit will be replaced at cost difference (100% credit on iron kit purchase).
Please contact us for further details if you are qualified and interested.
Why don’t you use your Plaid?
Ohh that’s probably because you don’t have one.
I own a Tesla with track mode. Wouldn’t put your stuff on my Tesla even if you paid me to!!!

Upvote 2
Hi Everyone,

Here is the big brake kit we were talking about. In the flesh, not just some drawings :) We actually just mocked them up earlier today.

The rotor is 20mm larger in diameter than stock, and 1mm thicker. The rotor is also 4.4lbs lighter than the OEM rotor.

This is a prototype that we'll be testing in the coming days. As promised!

MPP-Front-Big-Brake-Kit-Plaid.jpg

Plaid-Model-S-Front-BBK-Rotor-Weight-Comparison.jpg

And a picture from the TeamPGR Plaid that we have here to do development on testing at TMP earlier this week, I would say it looks the part!

Model-S-Flat.jpg

Upvote 2
No, but It will definitely help with the thermals.
the problem facing the plaid is it’s sooooooo dam fast.

this will make a lot more sense.
I would caution anyone using this car on the track!
Yes I agree that defeating stability/traction control will help a bit. I think everyone on this thread agrees (well I hope they do) the Plaid has suitable brakes for day-to-day use, anything more ie canyon driving or track driving some braking modifications will be needed. Likely a mix of software and hardware changes.

Reactions: Texas
Upvote 0
This forum certainly needs more healthy, unbiased, and quality posts like this one - Providing an overall view on what a Plaid owner should be looking at "based on their own needs" and why.

Anyone deserves to express his opinion but NO ONE should attempt to use it whether it's a "true experience" or "fabricated story" to override or mislead on others in this community. Especially for a vehicle not only is too heavy but so fast that can be considered as a moving bomb if a driver (no or little track experience) is misled.

Rather than using "TRUST ME", let's "TRUST NUMBERS" because the number don't lie. And learn how to respect others opinion and post responsibly - Remember this is a forum not your classroom.

The forum Admin is being informed to watch for any misleading/unsubstantiated posts.

Warren-RB
So trust the science?

Upvote 1
Track Mode ----To improve the stability of the vehicle under high speed driving - Nothing to do with the deceleration.
Track Pack ---- Brake and suspension hardware upgrade to make the vehicle more resistant to brake fading (deficiency) under repeated high speed stoppings.

They are two different things, no mix up, and no one here should purposely talk in a way to mislead the community - Especially in Tesla here where relatively few people track their cars with little or no tracing experience comparing to other communities.

Can you explain how this happens then????

Upvote 0
So....this is cool.

Wonder why it says it doesn't fit the 19's - would fit the old S 19's. Bummer as I wanted 19's for snow tires. Hopefully they fit these.

Upvote 0