Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake upgrade email?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it this morning, 2700 for the whole package, maybe.. Im wondering if this still stop the loud screech when pitting it in park, which tesla says I have to burnish the breaks all the time to make it stop? Any ideas on that one?
If you're at a stop and it's making a noise when you press park, there's something going on with the rear calipers or the electric parking brake motor. Could just need the pistons cleaned, or something simple.

Try spraying the both rear calipers with a garden hose really good and then put it in drive and park a few times to see if the noise goes away. If it does, it is more than likely something to do with the pistons. The fronts are irrelevant. The water should act as a temporary lubricant, so make sure to get the water as deep in there as possible.

If you're at a stop and it's making a noise when you press park, there's something going on with the rear calipers or the electric parking brake motor. Could just need the pistons cleaned, or something simple.

Try spraying the both rear calipers with a garden hose really good and then put it in drive and park a few times to see if the noise goes away. If it does, it is more than likely something to do with the pistons. The fronts are irrelevant. The water should act as a temporary lubricant, so make sure to get the water as deep in there as possible.
Based on what folks have commented on in this thread, I don't think it's that simple to remedy. But I am willing to try.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard that the pad upgrade alone is $750, and pads plus calipers kit is $2700. Time will tell. If Tesla is aware of any problems with the pads, they should replace them for free, but since this is offered as an upgrade kit and not a recall, that seems unlikely. And yes, I believe that's true that the calipers are basically the same with a red cover for appearance and to make them look larger than they actually are, which is lame.
$750 for the pads alone and $2700 for pads and calipers is correct. I reached out and that’s what they quoted. I replied that this should be free considering most of us paid significantly higher than the current price of the Plaid, and they get the upgraded brakes. Needless to say, I haven’t heard back yet lol. I actually prefer the black calipers over the red.

$750 for the pads alone and $2700 for pads and calipers is correct. I reached out and that’s what they quoted. I replied that this should be free considering most of us paid significantly higher than the current price of the Plaid, and they get the upgraded brakes. Needless to say, I haven’t heard back yet lol. I actually prefer the black calipers over the red.
@Howie Dub, so pads AND the calipers are different on the new Plaids from the LR (and 2021-2022 Plaids)?

@Howie Dub, so pads AND the calipers are different on the new Plaids from the LR (and 2021-2022 Plaids)?
That’s my understanding from the email. Any Plaids built after Jan 12, 2023 will have the new pads and calipers. Not sure if the LR gets the red calipers. You’ll see the upgrade in your app’s service menu. It’s separate from the standard wheel and tire service selection and lists both pads only and pads and calipers options.

Unclear to me on the calipers, to be honest. I recall the original snippet on the website only mentioning higher thermal capacity brake pads and red calipers, but don't recall seeing anything that actually said the calipers had been changed or redesigned in any way. I suspect the calipers are the same and the price simply reflects what they are charging for a new set of calipers finished in red. $750 for a set of pads is ludicrous.

Perhaps I’m in the minority but i feel the 21-22 steel brakes are perfectly adequate for operating the plaid legally on public roads. If you’re getting into trouble with stopping I’d wager your in the realm of what some officers may consider reckless driving.

I have a '22 with the older pre-red caliper brakes and would tend to agree with you. For day-to-day stopping I haven't had any issues and most of my stopping doesn't involve actually using the brake pedal at all. For that reason I have not given considered the Track Package or even upgrading to an aftermarket steel brake package because so far I just can't justify it.

Reactions: NeuroRad
FWIW, the updated red calipers look much larger than the puny, older black calipers with those budget one piston sliding units in the rear which admittedly the AMG/Ms have been equipping to cut costs for the longest time (even on ccbs!). Fronts may be bigger as well? 🤷🏻

My set is sitting in storage with <2k miles on them from new. Good riddance.

IMG_2949.jpeg

Reactions: byeLT4
Thanks @bkcyk! I was wondering if the only caliper change was the color. Good to hear it wasn't.

In regards to someone complaining about the costs of the pads, may I introduce you to Audi brakes. In their infinite wisdom, they made it so both pads AND rotors needed to be replaced on my Q7 (you know, an SUV) EVERY brake job, which was around 20,000 miles! Crazy! And that was 10 years ago, so who knows what prices are like now. At least with Tesla, the price includes install...

Reactions: bkcyk
Thanks @bkcyk! I was wondering if the only caliper change was the color. Good to hear it wasn't.

In regards to someone complaining about the costs of the pads, may I introduce you to Audi brakes. In their infinite wisdom, they made it so both pads AND rotors needed to be replaced on my Q7 (you know, an SUV) EVERY brake job, which was around 20,000 miles! Crazy! And that was 10 years ago, so who knows what prices are like now. At least with Tesla, the price includes install...
I'm coming out of a C7 S6 and 20 years of nothing but Audis in the garage until my MSP. I ended up sourcing my own rotors (Adam's) and pads, but I recall the stealership quoting me something outrageous for a brake job on the S6. But having sourced the pads on my own, I don't recall them being anywhere near $750 for the set. The rotors were up there though, with the Adam's running me somewhere in the $900 range for the fronts. But I hear you - brake prices have gone bonkers.

FWIW, the updated red calipers look much larger than the puny, older black calipers with those budget one piston sliding units in the rear which admittedly the AMG/Ms have been equipping to cut costs for the longest time (even on ccbs!). Fronts may be bigger as well? 🤷🏻

My set is sitting in storage with <2k miles on them from new. Good riddance.

View attachment 977046
Are the $2700 calipers actually different? When the 2023 red calipers were revealed, it was just a caliper cover as I recall, but the calipers themselves are the exact same.

No idea mate. But if I had the og black calipers, I’d be picking up these updated reds no question just because I cannot stand econobox one piecers.
But... they're not an upgrade, so I'm not sure what you mean. Only the Track Pack brakes are an actual upgrade, or - the higher thermal capability brake pads. But these red calipers, as far as everything I've seen, are the exact same in terms of functionality.