Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you're probably right about that, I'm just hoping the tires aren't garbage for traction after only 8k miles lol

When the weather is nice, I'm cutting 1.45-1.55 60' all night, trapping 118 with a 6.1-6.3 1/8th mile and 9.4-9.6 quarter on the 21s. I've been looking into other options, I found some forged magnesium racing wheels, 20", weighing 15lbs each, was curious how much time I'd cut off using the track pack brakes from tesla plus those wheels, wearing some ET Street SS radials from M/T or the good years that come with the track pack.
Don't hyper focus on weight. The guy with the records (not the boostedboiz chopped up car) has a magnesium 18" setup that weighs 10 pounds more than his 19" forged aluminum and PS4S setup.

Weight isn't as important on EV acceleration as it is with gas cars. It still helps handling, just not necessarily initial acceleration.

Don't hyper focus on weight. The guy with the records (not the boostedboiz chopped up car) has a magnesium 18" setup that weighs 10 pounds more than his 19" forged aluminum and PS4S setup.

Weight isn't as important on EV acceleration as it is with gas cars. It still helps handling, just not necessarily initial acceleration.
Interesting, good to know, thanks. I will have to do more research :)

Reactions: Sam1
So I went to my local drag strip and ran the 23 plaid for the first time. I have to say I was quite disappointed.

Also it takes forever for the cheetah stance to happen and it’s impossible to drag race because the light goes green and you can’t move.
I was played once when I went into Cheetah mode where the driver didn't pull up to the light until I was already out of cheetah mode. Next time I plan on practicing this. I had heard that you can break the first light, go into cheetah mode, then ever so slightly release pressure on the brake to allow the car to move forward enough to break the second light beam.

I was played once when I went into Cheetah mode where the driver didn't pull up to the light until I was already out of cheetah mode. Next time I plan on practicing this. I had heard that you can break the first light, go into cheetah mode, then ever so slightly release pressure on the brake to allow the car to move forward enough to break the second light beam.
No, what it does it release launch mode but if you do it fast enough, it reduces the amount of time to get back in it, but it still takes a few seconds.

What I do before staging is just tell the other person I need 7 seconds to stage after double bulbing, and they can take as long as they need to get there. I just chirp the tires twice and hit the beams ASAP, usually before they're done doing a burnout.

Reactions: Darmie
Imagine being upset enough about a 5,000lb 4dr sedan "only" running mid 9's in the quarter mile in low temperatures to create a thread about it.

In all seriousness, temperature plays a HUGE role in traction. This is why purpose-built tires are needed to hit this kind of 60ft times typically and even those have heaters on them and/or are heated up dramatically each run. Their compound is engineered to be stickier the hotter they get. Conversely, the same compounds made to be sticky in warm temperatures tend to get harder sooner in lower temperatures.

This is why all-season tires exist and their compounds are made specifically to remain pliable in colder temperatures. This comes at a sacrifice to ultimate traction in summer/warm temperatures. This sacrifice is necessary for vehicles that spend time in cold climates because otherwise summer tires feel like marbles on a glass surface due to how hard they get.

It's very likely that your experience going against someone running A/S tires had a traction advantage at those lower temps compared to your summer tires as they were already likely starting to stiffen at those temperatures.

Back to reality... your 5,000lb 4dr family sedan that seats 5 still runs 9's. Do you know how comical that statement would be to make 10 years ago? Some of the fastest multi-million dollar purpose-built exotic cars capable of over 200mph weren't even capable of that.
Its comical now actually. 150 mph is an insane trap speed and 1.6 60 ft is insane on street tires too. I had an AC Cobra with a 358ci nascar motor, 710hp, 2500 pound car, trapped at 140 on street tires, with slicks it would have been a higher mph but not 150 mph. A factory family 4 door sedan doing this for under 100k is nuts.

Show me a bunch of high altitude Plaid passes at any speed.
Altitude is not practically relevant to this situation. I believe you're conflating the performance variations that gas cars see because of the air density with their engine and atmospheric viscosity. There's very little difference for battery vehicles at sea level or at 5,000 feet (Denver is 5250 feet according to Google).

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.18.08 PM.png

Altitude is not practically relevant to this situation. I believe you're conflating the performance variations that gas cars see because of the air density with their engine and atmospheric viscosity. There's very little difference for battery vehicles at sea level or at 5,000 feet (Denver is 5250 feet according to Google).

View attachment 997809
That table more than proves my point.

Reactions: aerodyne
That table more than proves my point.
By what amount of significance does it contribute to your "point"?

You're not going to win this one on a miniscule technicality, because people that actually race understand the amount you're trying to insinuate matters, is practically irrelevant.

Please share the formula and calculation used to prove your point.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Great data!

Has anyone ever documented runs on different levels of charge? Lots of 80%+ YouTube clips ez, but would be interested to see the quarter times @ 10%, 20%, etc.
Brooks with dragtimes has done runs at every 10% going down to 20% and at 20% I think it still did a 9.8. I've done one at 18% at the end of the run and it was 9.9

Reactions: Drew-MS
Brooks with dragtimes has done runs at every 10% going down to 20% and at 20% I think it still did a 9.8. I've done one at 18% at the end of the run and it was 9.9
Impressive. Last night I was at 8% charge and pinned it on the freeway. Def less punch, but data shows still faster than most of the fastest cars out there.

The MSP warps your sense of speed and power.

Thanks fellas!

Reactions: MrSlowEv
On An unrelated topic, I have noticed a trend lately with Hellcats, Mushtanges etc that they pull along side and slowly fade back to see if that badge is there then drift off and exit. lol Not a racer myself but do find it interesting that they are starting to figure out which dogs they shouldn’t mess with.
Yes, that has been my experience as well. My last couple cars attracted those types of cars pulling along side me, and this one deters them.. the word has gotten out. The plaid is in a different league.

By what amount of significance does it contribute to your "point"?

You're not going to win this one on a miniscule technicality, because people that actually race understand the amount you're trying to insinuate matters, is practically irrelevant.

Please share the formula and calculation used to prove your point.
In Denver when the temperature is 90 degrees F the density altitude could be around 9000 Ft. At that altitude the air density is 76% that at sea level. If I integrate the net force from the motor minus rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag for that difference in density over 1/4 mile, I get 9.256 seconds at 155.56 mph at sea level and 9.236 seconds at 156.48 mph at 9000 ft.

Reactions: aerodyne
On An unrelated topic, I have noticed a trend lately with Hellcats, Mushtanges etc that they pull along side and slowly fade back to see if that badge is there then drift off and exit. lol Not a racer myself but do find it interesting that they are starting to figure out which dogs they shouldn’t mess with.
Even if you’re in a 4 digit ICE you still can’t assume anything going up against an MSP. You’ve got much more crude traction control systems, heavier dependence on tires, longer time to reach peak power etc.