Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid obliterates Sapphire in 3 back to back 1/4 mile runs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting how these competitive companies strategize their game by attempting to one-up Teslas in speed and range, while discreetly overshadowing other critical areas like FSD, servicing centers, charging network, and the more than 10 years of research data in the EV field.

Reactions: SO16 and X Æ A-12
Wow, real world performance speaks way more than paper spec racing.

What wheel/tire setup I wonder is that Plaid running. 19" I heard are supposed to be slightly faster than the 21", though that channel may be running custom wheel

The trap speeds are almost exactly the same, meaning, in a rolling race, its a dead heat if both cars get traction. It would appear that Tesla traction control works better off the line, they switched lanes, crappy track conditions.

And this guy doesn't have any issues with the Plaid halfshafts?

In the plaid vibration thread, it's been stated that the problem only occurs with light acceleration around 38 mph and that the current vibration issue the Plaid has is not the same cause as the previous generations where it vibrated badly between 10 and 35 mph during hard acceleration. I didn't realize this myself until someone came along and corrected me and nobody else said anything counter to that watching the thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Dameon and Tiger
Yes, I'm very happy I went with the 19s. The 21s do look better but just like with women, it's not smart to just focus on looks hah..

LOL, indeed. It's a BIG cost to have the 21" looks.

I currently have a lease with 11mo left on a 22 MSP with the 21" that the original owner picked out (it was a lease takeover, otherwise I would've personally just picked the 19s knowing all the issues the 21s have) and just replaced 1 rear tire due to nail. The other rear tire is almost new as the prior owner/lessee replaced it just prior to me taking over in October...since then I've put on about 6k miles and Tesla SC says it already is down to 6/32s from 8/32s....seems quite fast wear in just 6k miles sigh.....

Reactions: Drew-MS
There is a comment in the video that the Plaid is running 170 lbs. lighter than stock. And there may be more. Stock against stock, let's see how that works out.

There was a lot of discussion on that but 170 lbs is not enough to have made a difference. 0.15 seconds at most. On the other side of the coin, the Plaid is on the original battery with over 850 dragstrip runs all run with the battery heated, so it's likely making a bit less power than new of 840kW.

There was a lot of discussion on that but 170 lbs is not enough to have made a difference. 0.15 seconds at most. On the other side of the coin, the Plaid is on the original battery with over 850 dragstrip runs all run with the battery heated, so it's likely making a bit less power than new of 840kW.
Regardless of the stripped weight (this is what people were trying to claim made all the difference on the lucid subreddit) isn’t the sapphire rated at 1234 hp which is still over 200 extra horsepower. The main issue is the curb weight differences

Regardless of the stripped weight (this is what people were trying to claim made all the difference on the lucid subreddit) isn’t the sapphire rated at 1234 hp which is still over 200 extra horsepower. The main issue is the curb weight differences

It's physics. It made the difference it could make and not any more.

The Sapphire closed no ground between the 60 foot (after traction issues could no longer be a possibility) and 1/4 in each race.

Although we don't know what the Sapphire actually dynos, we do know the Plaid dynos 1100 hp at the wheels so it's considerably more than promised.

Also, the Plaid in question ran 9.2s and and 9.3s. You can find dozens of videos of stock weight Plaids running 9.2s and 9.3s on prepped tracks and you won't find any running slower on prepped tracks unless the SOC was below 70%.

You won't find a stock weight Plaid running as slow as the Sapphire did until SOC drops below 25%.

The smaller lighter wheel/ thicker tires help launch the Plaid better than the Sapphire with the super low profile and larger tires and wheels. If only they made a stickier 19" tire then the times should be even better.

Although we don't know what the Sapphire actually dynos, we do know the Plaid dynos 1100 hp at the wheels so it's considerably more than promised.
Plaid has 1067 peak hp (uncorrected) at the hubs and is already down to 948 hp at 161 mph. So at 200 mph it looks like it would be down to 890 hp where Tesla's plot puts it at 976 hp. That's falling off a lot faster than the perfect horsepower plot that Tesla made available which may be why there are no 155 mph traps.

There are losses due to tire slip, so the hp is not to the road. At max torque there is about 10 percent slip which means 10 percent of the horsepower doesn't make it to the road. This slip begins to decrease outside of the constant torque region. It's about 7 percent at 80 mph where max hp occurs and 3 percent at 160 mph. A drum dyno would measure the road horsepower.

1705027557278.png

PerfectPowerCurveSharp.jpg

Reactions: Drew-MS
MPH=HP to weight ratio. The Plaid and the Lucid running the same MPH means the HP/weight ratio is the same. the 1/4 mile difference is traction.