Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid obliterates Sapphire in 3 back to back 1/4 mile runs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That COPO!

And three times the price for less than a car length that night. Pretty interesting for sure.
There’s no question that the plaid is a bargain for what you get. But don’t forget the lucid is also a far more capable car in corners too. The suspension design coupled with its traction control and torque vectoring algorithms are out of this world. The problem lucid will have imo is it’s hard to convince someone to pay that coin for that performance when Porsche is doing the same for similar prices (especially the new one coming out). For my hypothetical $250k, I’d go with Porsche every time.

Or buy a Plaid and a 911 (which is my current plan)

Reactions: teko and ginmqi
There’s no question that the plaid is a bargain for what you get. But don’t forget the lucid is also a far more capable car in corners too. The suspension design coupled with its traction control and torque vectoring algorithms are out of this world. The problem lucid will have imo is it’s hard to convince someone to pay that coin for that performance when Porsche is doing the same for similar prices (especially the new one coming out). For my hypothetical $250k, I’d go with Porsche every time.

Exactly.

I watch savagegeese and he did a super indepth deep dive intothe Sapphire and it seems the engineers actually worked hard to make it a real driver's car....however for 250k?! Yeah I'd much rather have a MSP and a 911

Good luck dealing with Porsche world. I just sold my last one and I’m done with them. Loved driving them, truly the best cars for the money in the world. Hated most everything else about the ownership experience. It’s a relief to be beyond it now. I even tested a couple Taycan to see if I could transition to their way of doing electric and live with them, nope. My SA has me down for a Macan EV allocation for the wife’s car, but not even sure I’ll check into them at this point. And for sure not until their ranges pan out and the infrastructure is there to support them.

My point was in reference to Lucid’s claims not really panning out, given the times. I’d never buy one to hoon around in. If I still wanted to do that, I’d buy a BMW or Audi ICE saloon and call it a day.

• Informative
Reactions: Yblue and sorka
Good luck dealing with Porsche world. I just sold my last one and I’m done with them. Loved driving them, truly the best cars for the money in the world. Hated most everything else about the ownership experience. It’s a relief to be beyond it now. I even tested a couple Taycan to see if I could transition to their way of doing electric and live with them, nope. My SA has me down for a Macan EV allocation for the wife’s car, but not even sure I’ll check into them at this point. And for sure not until their ranges pan out and the infrastructure is there to support them.

My point was in reference to Lucid’s claims not really panning out, given the times. I’d never buy one to hoon around in. If I still wanted to do that, I’d buy a BMW or Audi ICE saloon and call it a day.
I cannot in good faith trust the word of anyone who feels Tesla offers a better ownership experience than... well any company, but especially Porsche.

Reactions: teko
I think having the VP of customer service from Lucid contact the owner about the original times and how to extract better times says a lot about how close in performance the cars are. It means little adjustments like tire pressure makes a world of difference. Lowering your tire psi means great for traction but bad for overall tire wear and range... That being said, stickier 19" tires on the plaid if there are any on the market available would do wonders to lower times further.... The ps4 are a much better tire than the pzero on the plaid.
Interesting. My best times were on the stock PZeros. Later changed to the Mich PS4s, which were not so good. Presently on Mickey Thompson Street Comps, which seem better than the Mich. When racing resumes out here, I'll put the Nitto NT555RII drag radials back on as they get me down the strip a little quicker than the PZeros.

Reactions: empiredown
To each their own. Maybe you’re the kinda guy who likes dealing with stupid ADMs, outrageous service rates, dealership games, entitled attitudes based on money and not effort, etc. I’m not.

And once again you’re conflating what I’m saying or inferring things I’m not. Feel free to actually pm me to discuss this stuff vice posting publicly and it continuing to deteriorate. I don’t appreciate being called a liar, whether it’s in fake internet world or the real one…

Last edited:
To each their own. Maybe you’re the kinda guy who likes dealing with stupid ADMs, outrageous service rates, dealership games, entitled attitudes based on money and not effort, etc. I’m not.

And once again you’re conflating what I’m saying or inferring things I’m not. Feel free to actually pm me to discuss this stuff vice posting publicly and it continuing to deteriorate. I don’t appreciate being called a liar, whether it’s in fake internet works or the real one…
I didn't accuse you of jack *sugar* in the first post you quoted. And yes, I did accuse you over downplaying Tesla's god awful ownership experience in the next post. Which you did.

But no need to PM me. Enjoy your persecution complex.

EV or ice or hybrid, the Sapphire is one of the best driving cars in the world today per respected auto enthusiasts/journos like Jason Camissa. That’s insane high praise whether you’re BMW M or a young company like Lucid living a murky, existential reality.

I have zero delusions that the Sapphire is the better performing car than my Track Pack Plaid. If I had $277K burning a hole in my pocket, I’d totally rock it.

Reactions: ginmqi
I cannot in good faith trust the word of anyone who feels Tesla offers a better ownership experience than... well any company, but especially Porsche.

I was about to point out to him that he should expect worse but then saw he's owned an MY for several years. Maybe he's been lucky and hasn't had to bring it into service yet.

Also, keep in mind that there are pockets of greatness in Tesla service still depending on the service center. Some service centers, like Fresno, actually answer their phone and you can talk to real people most of the time. The differences are likely where humans are rising above what is required by Tesla's workflows and culture so it isn't the norm but it does exist.

Reactions: empiredown
EV or ice or hybrid, the Sapphire is one of the best driving cars in the world today per respected auto enthusiasts/journos like Jason Camissa. That’s insane high praise whether you’re BMW M or a young company like Lucid living a murky, existential reality.

I have zero delusions that the Sapphire is the better performing car than my Track Pack Plaid. If I had $277K burning a hole in my pocket, I’d totally rock it.

Great. Can't wait for the Sapphire's 'Ring time......when is that going to happen?

I was about to point out to him that he should expect worse but then saw he's owned an MY for several years. Maybe he's been lucky and hasn't had to bring it into service yet.

Also, keep in mind that there are pockets of greatness in Tesla service still depending on the service center. Some service centers, like Fresno, actually answer their phone and you can talk to real people most of the time. The differences are likely where humans are rising above what is required by Tesla's workflows and culture so it isn't the norm but it does exist.

^This^

To further to OT discussion...

Every home experience we have had with Tesla has been great and all our Service and Collision Center (yes, they have one of those in Austin now) visits have been fine. We've had better experiences with other vehicle makers, but not many and not as reasonable or easy to deal with.

I love the app as well. I have had zero issues ever getting responses, regardless of the issue from orders to service to wall connector hijinks. This both in messaging and in direct phone calls. It has been my experience that I have always been able to deal with a human when it has been absolutely necessary to do so.

Sorry everyone hasn't had the type of experience we have, but it's one of the reasons I am sticking with Tesla, regardless of the price.

^A post from another thread, and which you marked as Informative btw... ^

This experience continues as I had the person I was dealing with yesterday on FSD transfer reach out again this morning via SMS unprompted, letting me know all was on track and that I could continue to message him directly if anything else popped up. You get service like this from other brands, certainly. But so far with Tesla, I've had pretty much this period.

Maybe it is just a Texas thing but I doubt it as I've had to interface with people from all across their enterprise. The dude who reached back out to me today is in Utah, for example. Our Model Y hasn't been perfect (and it was one of the first 2,500 produced), but pretty close and as far as a daily getting around vehicle, it couldn't be any better. Road trips have also been without a fault. Plenty of service experiences, both at the service center/collision center here, as well as at home in the garage visits. All fine. If it wasn't I wouldn't have continued to support the brand, order a CT or a S, be a shareholder... but I also certainly wouldn't come on here and take it beyond the pale with the complaining like some folks (Tesla doesn't have a corner on that market, it happens with every brand/everywhere, and with some brands if you do that, you no longer get allocations). I'll leave with this, if it is that bad, take your time and money elsewhere. It is one thing to keep it real, and keep people informed or seek help, it is whole other to top rope it with the righteous indignation that goes on...

I know a lot of you prefer the 19"s but.. I love how the 22" staggered set-up looks on my Plaid..

Attachments

• The Beast 1.jpg
    The Beast 1.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 10
  • The Beast 2.jpg
    The Beast 2.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 4