Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid rear tire wear - going after Michelin again - share your experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my fourth set of Mich PS4S and the third set ready to come apart on the inner tread corners of each tire. When the first set (T2s) came apart at just over 6,000 miles Michelin stepped up and paid for a second set.

The second set did a bit better but didn't last very long either.

Third set, the only ones that were the original PS4S and not the T2 version, lasted 16,000 miles amazingly and kept at least 42 psi (40 recommended)

My current set (T2s), just over 7,000 miles again and only four months.

The car has been aligned numerous times confirming proper factory alignment existed each and every time.

I expect Michelin will not be as friendly this time.

Shared experiences, tips, tricks, etc appreciated.

What were the alignment specs that you confirmed with them numerous times?
Probably "within spec" is what he was told. Assuming.

Interested to see if he went to a performance shop and they fixed the horrendous factory tolerances. Practically impossible to go through 4 sets of tires and have the same issue and it be the tires' fault. Better chance of winning the lottery AND all of the people you know never asking you for a loan.

I have a lot of experience turning wrenches. I am close with the shop and get my head in there all the time when working on things. They are top notch. The last alignment we did was spot on but I also insisted on doing it in"low" suspension level. I have attached the latest results.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 063842.png

Screenshot 2024-03-01 064137.png

I have a lot of experience turning wrenches. I am close with the shop and get my head in there all the time when working on things. They are top notch. The last alignment we did was spot on but I also insisted on doing it in"low" suspension level. I have attached the latest results.

View attachment 1023535
View attachment 1023540
I assume you’re ending rear tires before fronts?

Adjust toe to zero, like your fronts, and watch abnormal wear disappear.

Reactions: HighPotential

View attachment 1023535
View attachment 1023540
This is the first time I have seen a perfectly matched alignment down to the hundredth of a degree between both sides on almost every measurement.

Personally, no matter the shop that did this, I'd have to call those results into question.

AFAIK, this shop is exceptional. Been going to them for decades. It was a very new machine (then). Well, if anyone can tell me what the numbers should be, I will work with them today to adjust the rear.

I just asked one of the guys at my shop how they done that perfect alignment and he suggested that they should apply to work for a formula 1 team because he's never seen it either.

This was from late last year, I changed it a bit in January, but it's mostly the same on the rear. I like the rear toe to be roughly +0.15

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.19.41 AM.png

Reactions: lbowroom
I just asked one of the guys at my shop how they done that perfect alignment and he suggested that they should apply to work for a formula 1 team because he's never seen it either.

This was from late last year, I changed it a bit in January, but it's mostly the same on the rear. I like the rear toe to be roughly +0.15

View attachment 1023643
His caster isn’t dead even on both sides so I don’t think they’re just copying and pasting.