Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my Plaid, it IS the half-shafts causing the aforementioned vibration. It completely disappeared when they replaced both half-shafts. It did return, however, about 1,500 miles later. Unless they replace another component along with the half-shafts, and that component is the source. So in my case, it could not be software/firmware related, not wheels/tires, not steering linkage/dampeners, etc. the only thing Tesla replaced were the half-shafts and it fixed the vibration problem. Albeit temporarily.

I agree. It seems like the half shafts vibrating under light load and under extreme angles.

Using track mode with rear bias presumably eliminates any torque going through the half shafts, though they are still spinning. Somehow they only vibrate when there is torque going through them, which presumably is why they don't vibrate when coasting at 40-50 mph.

They also don't vibrate when you reduce the CV joint angles by lowering the car down.

I wonder if adding more grease the to the CV joints would dampen out the vibrations?

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
I agree. It seems like the half shafts vibrating under light load and under extreme angles.

Using track mode with rear bias presumably eliminates any torque going through the half shafts, though they are still spinning. Somehow they only vibrate when there is torque going through them, which presumably is why they don't vibrate when coasting at 40-50 mph.

They also don't vibrate when you reduce the CV joint angles by lowering the car down.

I wonder if adding more grease the to the CV joints would dampen out the vibrations?
Grease won’t be thick enough to do that. The clearance or lash in the shafts won’t vibrate as long as there is bias in one direction or the other. Light throttle application is where the shafts are in transition from front bias and reverse bias and float in that clearance. Lower shaft angle helps negate this transition zone between forward and reverse bias. At least that’s what my intuition tells me.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Grease won’t be thick enough to do that. The clearance or lash in the shafts won’t vibrate as long as there is bias in one direction or the other. Light throttle application is where the shafts are in transition from front bias and reverse bias and float in that clearance. Lower shaft angle helps negate this transition zone between forward and reverse bias. At least that’s what my intuition tells me.

Seems reasonable, but I don't understand why other cars don't have this problem, like my P3D or even my prior P90D model S. How did the change in the half shaft design introduce this problem?

I figured it out! They put the vibration in on purpose - to give us the authentic ICE feel! 🤣💩

7FCF55B5-53C8-46E3-854D-702589BB81E9.png