Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped my MSP off for the 4th time for the 80+ mph vibration issue. So now they are telling me the rear rims are bent, and want me to pay $1600 for the set, as I first filed the vibration complaint at 330 miles, not the 10 i picked it up with. They said they would refund me the cost of the new rims if it doesn’t fix the 80+ mph vibration. So here is my take. The vibration was their brand new at 10 miles. So I doubt it is the rear rims that are bent. They wouldn’t swap under warranty, even though they have swapped a front wheel on my second drop off for the same issue. I had the service manager call me directly. Would you guys fight over having to pay for new rear wheels? My thought is i doubt it fixes the vibration, and wint Ultimately get charged anyway. It also removes them focusing on the rear wheels this time as an issue.

My general impression less than a year into owning my first Tesla is that they are an EV tech and software company masquerading as an auto manufacturer. There was a rumor in the Audi community a long time ago that VWAG via Audi were looking to purchase Tesla. Kinda wish they had, although Audi would find a way to screw up the few things that are good about Tesla. But I go back to the overall quality of the car, dealership experience, and form over function mentality as baffling all around at this price point.

Dropped my MSP off for the 4th time for the 80+ mph vibration issue. So now they are telling me the rear rims are bent, and want me to pay $1600 for the set, as I first filed the vibration complaint at 330 miles, not the 10 i picked it up with. They said they would refund me the cost of the new rims if it doesn’t fix the 80+ mph vibration. So here is my take. The vibration was their brand new at 10 miles. So I doubt it is the rear rims that are bent. They wouldn’t swap under warranty, even though they have swapped a front wheel on my second drop off for the same issue. I had the service manager call me directly. Would you guys fight over having to pay for new rear wheels? My thought is i doubt it fixes the vibration, and wint Ultimately get charged anyway. It also removes them focusing on the rear wheels this time as an issue.
Why can they just swap a set of wheels and test at the SC. No reason to buy new wheels until they perform this basic check.

Reactions: Workmailman
My general impression less than a year into owning my first Tesla is that they are an EV tech and software company masquerading as an auto manufacturer. There was a rumor in the Audi community a long time ago that VWAG via Audi were looking to purchase Tesla. Kinda wish they had, although Audi would find a way to screw up the few things that are good about Tesla. But I go back to the overall quality of the car, dealership experience, and form over function mentality as baffling all around at this price point.

How exactly is Tesla "masquerading" as an auto manufacturer? What does that even mean, do they make cars or not? When the iPhone first came out was Apple a software company masquerading as a phone manufacturer?

Why can they just swap a set of wheels and test at the SC. No reason to buy new wheels until they perform this basic check.
Have you been to a SC? Their employees look like they belong in an apple store not a vehicle service center. My guess is they have just a few actual techs in back likely overwhelmed with work due to teslas shoddy quality. So they’re likely doing whatever their computer tells them to do. Irritate the customer and deflect until they go away and just put up with the defective product.

I think of my MSP as more of a computer on wheels with seats. If I look at it as that, I am pretty happy with it. I didn't expect anything luxurious and I've gone through that phase in my life earlier in my years. Some people come to it later hence all the septuagenarians in my area rolling in Range Rovers, Escalades, Bentleys, Rolls, etc. intermixed with the others trying to reclaim their youth in McLarens and Ferraris.

For me I have just enough creature comforts to enjoy the car, along with more simplicity of less things to break such as massaging seats. If I can find the right speed and conditions, I can have everyone in the car get a massage. For grins I went and drove an EQS AMG. My initial reaction was I sure as heck don't want to own this thing once out of warranty. The amount of stuff that could break was huge. I still don't like the body style of any of the new EV MB's. About the only EV in the MSP's class I'd probably consider owning is a Taycan. I just hate Porsches approach to a bazillion options to squeeze every dime out of you. The Lucid might an option if I feel the company has long-term viability. Still in some color combos it looks like a Buick to me, which isn't a good thing. Other combos it looks nice.

At its pricepoint the S is a pretty good car. If you value performance, nothing really touches it. Add in the track pack brakes and it punches even high above its price class. So far the vibes aren't an issue. I've banished the rear tire wear issues with the camber so if I have better roads I can run my car in low even more. Hopefully that will stave off the halfshaft issues. Maybe UPP or someone else, will come up with a halfshaft kit to fix it once and for all.

I would take them up on that offer under the condition that I keep the “bent” set of wheels as compensation for wasting my time.

How exactly is Tesla "masquerading" as an auto manufacturer? What does that even mean, do they make cars or not? When the iPhone first came out was Apple a software company masquerading as a phone manufacturer?
It means exactly what I said. They are more concerned with the software and self-driving and form over function than the actual build quality of the CAR. Your Apple analogy is way off. My second computer was an Apple IIe. As a company they have been building software and hardware since day 1 with an emphasis on the stuff working. Tesla has been making cars for how long now? Since 2008? 15 years later and they can't get fundamental card hardware *sugar* right? Wild ass guesses at fixing problems that are known issues? They told the guy above it was his wheels. Told me my tires were out of balance when I knew damn well they weren't and that was confirmed when they went to go re-balance them instead of tackling the half-shaft vibration head on. Rattling backseat fix is to basically duct tape it? On a $120k+ car? I'm not that in love with the company that I won't call them out on their BS. Tesla in general has been a clown show so far.

F
It means exactly what I said. They are more concerned with the software and self-driving and form over function than the actual build quality of the CAR. Your Apple analogy is way off. My second computer was an Apple IIe. As a company they have been building software and hardware since day 1 with an emphasis on the stuff working. Tesla has been making cars for how long now? Since 2008? 15 years later and they can't get fundamental card hardware *sugar* right? Wild ass guesses at fixing problems that are known issues? They told the guy above it was his wheels. Told me my tires were out of balance when I knew damn well they weren't and that was confirmed when they went to go re-balance them instead of tackling the half-shaft vibration head on. Rattling backseat fix is to basically duct tape it? On a $120k+ car? I'm not that in love with the company that I won't call them out on their BS. Tesla in general has been a clown show so far.
FSD beta is junk, BTW…

My next car will not be a Tesla. I bought MSP purely for the performance and it delivers there very well. But otherwise the car is very lacking for the cost. Quality, purchase experience, service etc etc

Feeling is the same. Will not buy another Tesla after this one. It was my one and I can say for certain will be the only. Low 9s and a warranty suckered me in. However with the amount of money the car depreciated (lost probably 70k unrealized at this point) I could have just TT my old R8 instead lol. I can tell you the quality and service way better with Ferrari and Audi from personal experience. Also, the theater of Italian V12 an EV just cannot touch but total different topic I'll stop there. :cool:

For now, I enjoy it as my daily driver. Eats up miles, hides under the radar, soft ride, has some luxury (e.g. Lexus, Acura like) but not up to German spec. My RS7 is built like a tank in comparison. Doors actually feel solid when they close (has soft close too I might add which how the F is that missing on the S but present on the X), the CCB are bigger and stop harder than even the full unplugged kit on the Plaid, and ironically as a 2018 model year it is worth used about what my 2021 Plaid is and the RS7 has double the miles. :oops:

Reactions: onshi and StevenSD
Feeling is the same. Will not buy another Tesla after this one. It was my one and I can say for certain will be the only. Low 9s and a warranty suckered me in. However with the amount of money the car depreciated (lost probably 70k unrealized at this point) I could have just TT my old R8 instead lol. I can tell you the quality and service way better with Ferrari and Audi from personal experience. Also, the theater of Italian V12 an EV just cannot touch but total different topic I'll stop there. :cool:

For now, I enjoy it as my daily driver. Eats up miles, hides under the radar, soft ride, has some luxury (e.g. Lexus, Acura like) but not up to German spec. My RS7 is built like a tank in comparison. Doors actually feel solid when they close (has soft close too I might add which how the F is that missing on the S but present on the X), the CCB are bigger and stop harder than even the full unplugged kit on the Plaid, and ironically as a 2018 model year it is worth used about what my 2021 Plaid is and the RS7 has double the miles. :oops:
Yup

Does Tesla make cars or not? Call Tesla a bad auto manufacturer all you want but stupid little phrases like "software company masquerading as an auto manufacturer" is idiotic and failed attempt at being clever.

My Apple analog went completely over your head. Apple's iPhone was largely regarded as the first mainstream smart phone with a full-featured OS in a sea of non-smart flip phones - the same analogous position as Tesla's fully software integrated cars in a sea of non-smart cars. Reading comprehension, try it sometime.

Last edited:
A data point for everyone. I had the track pack brakes installed by a third party on my 22 plaid S due to the SC not wanting to touch car with aftermarket suspension parts. It’s a 22 Plaid so it didn’t need new knuckles. After the brake install and an alignment I would say this vibration went about 90% away. I say 90% because maybe I have PTSD and my mind still has nightmares from that vibration and thinks there’s still a tiny bit there. But realistically it’s just about gone: I no longer feel it during my first drive to 38-42 MPH after a few hours of the car sitting.