Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my Plaid 1.5 years ago because my OCD couldn't deal with the vibration. I'm currently in a Taycan 4S but was thinking about returning to a MS. I'm actually shocked to see that this issue hasn't been resolved. Does anyone know if the MSLR has the same issue as the Plaid? If not, I may go this route instead.

Do Plaids with the 19's have the vibration issue?

I sold my Plaid 1.5 years ago because my OCD couldn't deal with the vibration. I'm currently in a Taycan 4S but was thinking about returning to a MS. I'm actually shocked to see that this issue hasn't been resolved. Does anyone know if the MSLR has the same issue as the Plaid? If not, I may go this route instead.

From the vibration thread, LR is not immune to the vibration issues.

I test drove a Taycan Turbo yesterday and just WOW! The car felt so solid! It felt like a tank going over rough roads. I also loved the suede steering wheel, and the racetex seats.

Now the only question left to answer is whether a 120k 2020 Taycan is better than a 90k brand new long range. It’s a lot harder of a decision than I thought it’d be.

From the vibration thread, LR is not immune to the vibration issues.

I test drove a Taycan Turbo yesterday and just WOW! The car felt so solid! It felt like a tank going over rough roads. I also loved the suede steering wheel, and the racetex seats.

Now the only question left to answer is whether a 120k 2020 Taycan is better than a 90k brand new long range. It’s a lot harder of a decision than I thought it’d be.

Oh, I love my Taycan but hate it as well. The software is still jacked up even after several PCM upgrades and I just miss all of the features/functions of Tesla. The fit/finish of the Taycan is absolutely incredible and yes, it drives like a Porsche!

Here are some pics of my car, that ass end tho! :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_005736418.jpg
    PXL_20230712_005736418.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20230712_011555033.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230712_011555033.MP.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20230712_011829482.jpg
    PXL_20230712_011829482.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230712_012545620.jpg
    PXL_20230712_012545620.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5422.JPG
    IMG_5422.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Oh, I love my Taycan but hate it as well. The software is still jacked up even after several PCM upgrades and I just miss all of the features/functions of Tesla. The fit/finish of the Taycan is absolutely incredible and yes, it drives like a Porsche!

Here are some pics of my car, that ass end tho! :)
The one I test drove was in the Carmine red color, with the red seat belts.
I absolutely loved it! I couldn’t take my eyes off it!

Also the glass roof let absolutely no heat in! It was about 110 here in the California Central Valley, the sun beaming down I felt no heat coming through! I was so impressed by that, the AC was blowing nice and cold, as opposed to my current Lexus.

I think I’m going to rent one on Turo and kinda “live” with it for a few days. And see how I like it. Like you I’m very anal about any kind of vibrations from my cars, I feel like the Tesla would drive me nuts if I were to experience the 38-48 mph vibration and the new 70+ mph vibration on a daily basis.

The one I test drove was in the Carmine red color, with the red seat belts.
I absolutely loved it! I couldn’t take my eyes off it!

Also the glass roof let absolutely no heat in! It was about 110 here in the California Central Valley, the sun beaming down I felt no heat coming through! I was so impressed by that, the AC was blowing nice and cold, as opposed to my current Lexus.

I think I’m going to rent one on Turo and kinda “live” with it for a few days. And see how I like it. Like you I’m very anal about any kind of vibrations from my cars, I feel like the Tesla would drive me nuts if I were to experience the 38-48 mph vibration and the new 70+ mph vibration on a daily basis.
I can report that my Taycan has ZERO vibrations of any kind. Driver door rattles are problematic, Porsche can't seem to figure out how to resolve but I was able to do it myself! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: Propofoln and AMPd
My LR w/19's had no vibration issues at all. Not the 38-42 mph or the ~80 mph ones. My Plaid on 21's had the 38-42 mph one but I hadn't noticed it for the first 2k miles I had the car, then I happened to have it in that range at a light throttle opening and I felt it through the accelerator pedal. It was very easily reproduced after that but it wasn't a huge amount.

With the CCB upgraded, I've only noticed it once since then even trying to invoke it on purpose. For some reason when I finally found it, it was greatly diminished. As I mentioned upstream, if I hadn't already known what to look for, and actively looking for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

All in all the car is where it should be. My panel gaps are very good. None really jump out at me. No back seat rattles (just closed them easily). It goes like hell and brakes as well as it goes thanks to the track pack brakes. The handling seems improved and braking is definitely improved as it has seemed to have increased the rear brake bias and even single stops from 70+ seem shorter. Track mode can be a blast. Can't really complain about the overall build quality either.

The SW stack just keeps getting better and better. Seems like everything has finally come together and can't think of another sedan I'd be willing to give my Plaid up for. Still don't like the like of stalks but with the Hansshow wheel (which I like better than the yoke or Tesla wheel), I am pretty happy For the price the Plaid is a steal. It is one of the few cars if something happened to it that I'd go out and buy another one immediately. Hope I feel the same in 50k miles.

YES!

My LR w/19's had no vibration issues at all. Not the 38-42 mph or the ~80 mph ones. My Plaid on 21's had the 38-42 mph one but I hadn't noticed it for the first 2k miles I had the car, then I happened to have it in that range at a light throttle opening and I felt it through the accelerator pedal. It was very easily reproduced after that but it wasn't a huge amount.

With the CCB upgraded, I've only noticed it once since then even trying to invoke it on purpose. For some reason when I finally found it, it was greatly diminished. As I mentioned upstream, if I hadn't already known what to look for, and actively looking for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

All in all the car is where it should be. My panel gaps are very good. None really jump out at me. No back seat rattles (just closed them easily). It goes like hell and brakes as well as it goes thanks to the track pack brakes. The handling seems improved and braking is definitely improved as it has seemed to have increased the rear brake bias and even single stops from 70+ seem shorter. Track mode can be a blast. Can't really complain about the overall build quality either.

The SW stack just keeps getting better and better. Seems like everything has finally come together and can't think of another sedan I'd be willing to give my Plaid up for. Still don't like the like of stalks but with the Hansshow wheel (which I like better than the yoke or Tesla wheel), I am pretty happy For the price the Plaid is a steal. It is one of the few cars if something happened to it that I'd go out and buy another one immediately. Hope I feel the same in 50k miles.
The software stack on the refreshed S/Y is far behind what the high volume 3/Y models have and get. Many examples, but the one that chaps my hide is not being able to change the font size on the S, or the ability to move the blind spot camera view. Both of these can be done on the 3/Y stack, and they have had that for more than a year. Being low volume models, that don’t move the revenue needle at all, the S/X are the bastard models of Telsa’s lineup. Got vibration? F it, just tell customers it’s normal. THAT would not happen if it were an issue on the Y, for example. Not a chance. ZERO

@WilliamG @Ramphex

That's interesting that the brake upgrade might have eliminated your vibration. I might try that...

The software stack on the refreshed S/Y is far behind what the high volume 3/Y models have and get. Many examples, but the one that chaps my hide is not being able to change the font size on the S, or the ability to move the blind spot camera view. Both of these can be done on the 3/Y stack, and they have had that for more than a year. Being low volume models, that don’t move the revenue needle at all, the S/X are the bastard models of Telsa’s lineup. Got vibration? F it, just tell customers it’s normal. THAT would not happen if it were an issue on the Y, for example. Not a chance. ZERO

@WilliamG @Ramphex

Seriously? You can't reposition the blind spot camera??? If the stack is way behind I just may have to reconsider going the S route and hold out for the upcoming refreshed M3P. 😳

Reactions: jebinc

@WilliamG @Ramphex
If they truly don’t
Seriously? You can't reposition the blind spot camera??? If the stack is way behind I just may have to reconsider going the S route and hold out for the upcoming refreshed M3P. 😳
i find it mostly useless in the center display anyways. They should have had it pop up on the left side of the driver display where the nav pops up. Then it would be useful.

I don't use the blindspot camera as no matter where I have it in either the 3 or the S, it isn't as useful as having my mirrors adjusted in the right place.

My comment on SW is vis a vis the competitors to the S. While the S's stack may lag behind the 3, it is still far better than you get in Porsche, Ford, etc. If they never do anything else with the SW on the S, I am in a pretty good place with what it offers. I already use a CarPlay adapter that gives me a lot of functionality I'd like in the car anyway. Add in my S3XY buttons and I am in an even better place.

Sure I'd love to see the following distance selectable on the right scroll wheel, or make the left scroll wheel adjustable for other functions. I am not holding my breath for these to show up on the S. I have made my peace with where the SW stack is currently. Every time I drive my 3 I see the differences but so far nothing I am just dying to have on it that the S doesn't have.

• Helpful
Reactions: theslimshadyist
The software stack on the refreshed S/Y is far behind what the high volume 3/Y models have and get. Many examples, but the one that chaps my hide is not being able to change the font size on the S, or the ability to move the blind spot camera view.
I thought the most current version added the ability to move the blind spot camera view on the S&X:

1690161967915.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
My Plaid’s UI is trash, when compared to my wife’s MY. Trash. Even FSDj is better delivered on the large screen on the 3/Y. The flagship gets the visualizations only on the tiny dash screen. Real junky move my Tesla, to treat flagship model customers like shite. Low volume; low attention (by Tesla). End of Sermon.

After 10,000 miles I still have the initial 1 to 2 minute slight vibration after a cold start. I notice a very slight vibration in the 38 to 50 range under certain conditions. If not for this thread, I would've thought it was road condition.

Still waiting for regaining the ability to answer an incoming phone call on the wheel instead of the screen.

My Plaid’s UI is trash, when compared to my wife’s MY. Trash. Even FSDj is better delivered on the large screen on the 3/Y. The flagship gets the visualizations only on the tiny dash screen. Real junky move my Tesla, to treat flagship model customers like shite. Low volume; low attention (by Tesla). End of Sermon.
Completely agree… just got the MS plaid and spent at least 15 mins trying to get the same M3/MY FSD visualization on the MS main screen. No dice.

And can confirm the 40mph vibration under light acceleration is still present on the plaid.

My 2023 MSP has no 40-50 mph vibration. Just an 80+ mph vibration, which is way more annoying
Yeah I have a vibration at 80 but it feels more like wheel balance issue… affects the steering wheel more. It feels different at 40… 40 feels like a motor issue.

And this is different from the half shaft shutter I had in a previous model x.

My next car will not be a Tesla. I bought MSP purely for the performance and it delivers there very well. But otherwise the car is very lacking for the cost. Quality, purchase experience, service etc etc