Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a different vibration.
Also to note/reiterate, I’m pretty sure the two vibrations are linked (setting aside the oddity that is the 2021 models not having that startup/first few mins vibration).

My 2022 has the startup vibration, and when it goes away while gently accelerating through the 40-50 trouble spot, it’s crazy how obviously bad that startup vibration is until it goes away. It’s like the 40-50 vibration but WAY worse.

So for me, get in car from cold, drive and cruise in the 40-50 range, vibration is really, really bad. Horrific, even. Keep driving at 40-50 for a minute or two and then all of a sudden the vibration reduces from really, really bad to just - bad. It’s REALLY obvious when that startup vibration goes away and you’re left with the “regular” vibration this thread is focused on. But there’s definitely an overlap in speeds at which the vibrations occur.

Anyway, I really do suspect both vibrations will be addressed here, or at least - I hope so.

Reactions: jebinc
I really hope that shifting more torque to the rear motor will eliminate the 40 to 50-ish vibration. As a side benefit, I believe this would also provide a more even tire wear between front and rear. As it is now my fronts are wearing out faster than the rear.
I doubt there’s any tangible difference in tire wear, to be honest, especially given Tesla’s statement that it will only reduce range by ~2 miles.

Just wanted to chime in. Took delivery of October 2023 build Plaid. I've experience the vibration on the accelerator. I can't repeat it but it has happened twice and on both occasions it's the first drive of the day. Goes away after a few minutes. All the other mornings, doesn't happen.

So far no one has had a failed motor or anything safety related right?

One of my TPMS sensors failed, so getting that fixed on my '23 Plaid. I saw this was added to my service invoice as well, so I'll be curious to see what happens.

I do feel a vibration but feel it less so once i swapped to Chill driving. I have just learned to live with it, but curious to see what differences it makes if any.

One of my TPMS sensors failed, so getting that fixed on my '23 Plaid. I saw this was added to my service invoice as well, so I'll be curious to see what happens.

I do feel a vibration but feel it less so once i swapped to Chill driving. I have just learned to live with it, but curious to see what differences it makes if any.
Early reports suggest, at best, a slight improvement. Kind of like ARNR may (for some), kind of, reduce road noise - but not really.

There are no early reports of the 2023.44. It hasn’t been deployed yet.
Yep, a probably another week or two as I called last month

I’m guessing we’re at least a month away from 2023.44 going wide, given that 2023.38 (which is supposedly 6 weeks older) just started rolling out somewhat broadly a few days ago, though it’s still less than 6% of Teslafi’s fleet

My car is booked in for this issue tomorrow and I can see on the work order it has the service bulletin and to update software to reduce vibration. It did not vibrate when new, and has gotten significantly worse in the last 2-3 weeks

I also have another issue that feels like being in a 4wd with locked diffs, a significant binding/grinding/popping noise that jolts the whole car at aroubd full lock, like while parking or making a u-turn. Did not do this when it was new. Currently has 2000km on it. Does anyone else have this?

My car is booked in for this issue tomorrow and I can see on the work order it has the service bulletin and to update software to reduce vibration. It did not vibrate when new, and has gotten significantly worse in the last 2-3 weeks

I also have another issue that feels like being in a 4wd with locked diffs, a significant binding/grinding/popping noise that jolts the whole car at aroubd full lock, like while parking or making a u-turn. Did not do this when it was new. Currently has 2000km on it. Does anyone else have this?
Sounds like the weather is getting colder where you are and you’re experiencing the Ackerman Effect

Reactions: WilliamG
Sounds like the weather is getting colder where you are and you’re experiencing the Ackerman Effect

Temperature does not seen to be a factor, although it is getting colder in Ottawa, Canada.

Today was about 10c though. Also, sometimes it doesnt do it at all. For instance yesterday I left my house to go to the grocery store, happened pulling out of my driveway. Coming back from the store, I started doing slow full lock figure 8’s in my cul de sac, and nothing

Temperature does not seen to be a factor, although it is getting colder in Ottawa, Canada.

Today was about 10c though. Also, sometimes it doesnt do it at all. For instance yesterday I left my house to go to the grocery store, happened pulling out of my driveway. Coming back from the store, I started doing slow full lock figure 8’s in my cul de sac, and nothing
Tires were warmer when you left the store. You’re on 21s/summers I’m guessing?

Also don’t waste your time going to Tesla. This update for the driving vibration is not rolling out yet.

Reactions: jebinc
Tires were warmer when you left the store. You’re on 21s/summers I’m guessing?

Also don’t waste your time going to Tesla. This update for the driving vibration is not rolling out yet.
Yes, you are correct, on the 21’s. Store is less than 1km from my house so doubt there was any meaningful heat put in to the tires.

Sometimes even when cold after sitting, it won’t do it. Ive had/driven 4wd and AWD vehicles for the last probably 20 years and never experienced this. Even a locked diff 4wd isnt as bad. This is pretty violent as it happens.

Is it really the 21” that is the issue? My model Y performance is smooth as butter.

Its still going to Tesla tomorrow just even to have record of this in case of future failure.

Reactions: aerodyne