Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is booked in for this issue tomorrow and I can see on the work order it has the service bulletin and to update software to reduce vibration. It did not vibrate when new, and has gotten significantly worse in the last 2-3 weeks

I also have another issue that feels like being in a 4wd with locked diffs, a significant binding/grinding/popping noise that jolts the whole car at aroubd full lock, like while parking or making a u-turn. Did not do this when it was new. Currently has 2000km on it. Does anyone else have this?

My car has always done this, since new. I assumed it was just inherent of the AWD system. It is easily replicatable and happens ever time I turn from my garage to the length of my driveway. There are "skidmarks" outside my garage due to the different wheel speeds during the turn.

My car has always done this, since new. I assumed it was just inherent of the AWD system. It is easily replicatable and happens ever time I turn from my garage to the length of my driveway. There are "skidmarks" outside my garage due to the different wheel speeds during the turn.
Nothing to do with the AWD system. Read the replies after that post...

Reactions: jebinc
Bad wording... differential effect. I'm overly familiar with the Ackerman effect. My wife has a FWD vehicle and doesn't have this effect. Does Kia have better front differential control than Tesla?
It's nothing to do with it, as mentioned. Switch your summer tires out for all-seasons/winters, and the problem goes away. Think of it as the car letting you know it's not got quite as much traction as it would do if it were warmer out...

Corrected wording so I don't get 100 responses stating the same thing...

"My car has always done this, since new. I assumed it was just inherent of the FWD differential system. It is easily replicatable and happens ever time I turn from my garage to the length of my driveway. There are "skidmarks" outside my garage due to the different wheel speeds during the turn."

Are you saying a strictly RWD car will do the same thing?
Depends on the car, but absolutely, yes.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I'm trying to remember the "exact" temperatures, but I can say I properly notice it when the temperature is consistently in the low 50s or slightly below that. I don't notice it in the 60s and up.
Noted. It rarely drops to 50* around here.

I'll mention it to my Service Center next time I'm there. I suspect something may be wrong. I wish there was another Plaid in my area to take a ride in to validate some of my issues.

Depends on the car, but absolutely, yes.

2009 Corvette Z06? 2015 Model S P90D? Neither did it. My 2010 Cadillac Escalade AWD did.

Noted. It rarely drops to 50* around here.

I'll mention it to my Service Center next time I'm there. I suspect something may be wrong. I wish there was another Plaid in my area to take a ride in to validate some of my issues.
If you're in Lafayette, LA, it can definitely hit those temps, it seems.

1701722166384.png

Can you have someone record it from outside the vehicle? It sounds normal to me, but if you're seeing these issues in the 60s and 70s and above, something isn't right.

• Funny