Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR Visual Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all know about the difference in performance between these two. I am looking for the actual "VISUAL" differences that you may have noticed. Here is what I have so far: Of course, there is the 'PLAID' emblem. Then there is the carbon fiber spoiler on the rear. Next, someone pointed out that the seat material has a contrasting color piping only on the Plaid. I am not sure, but maybe the rear fender flairs may be wider to hold in the large rear tires. OK - any other visual differences?

The cars are identical other than minor cosmetic things that you mentioned. I believe the carbon fiber dash trim, plaid emblem, spoiler and seat piping is it. You're basically paying $40k for a slightly faster 0-60.
And track mode with flexibility change driving dynamics. I don't think Tesla will extend those to the LR unfortunately.

Reactions: EightYears
It’s 1 second faster 0-60 which is the only metric that 99% of plaid owners will ever experience. If you’ve got the cash to burn then why not, but thats def not worth it to me. And it used to be a $40k difference.
It’s $35k. And you keep talking about 1 second faster like it’s nothing….

Also it’s not just faster 0-60. It’s also faster 3-12, 20-37, 41-73 etc. In every metric it’s night and day faster.

It’s 1 second faster 0-60 which is the only metric that 99% of plaid owners will ever experience. If you’ve got the cash to burn then why not, but thats def not worth it to me. And it used to be a $40k difference.
Actually less than that. Not that it isn't significant, it isn't 1 sec. The LR factors in rollout for its time and the Plaid doesn't. So add .2 to .3 to the Plaid for fair comparison (or take a like about from the LR). From the just run what you brung times, not putting in special mode for the Plaid, getting the stance right, etc. the delta shrinks on the street.

The other aspect is how much of this extra capability will you ever use on the street. Track is a different story but on the street, I have very quick motorcycles (faster than a Plaid) and I can tell you how few times I can really open them up. A short burst of throttle on the street puts me in serious go to jail speeds.

So for me the improvements are mostly academic. Great for bragging rights and I appreciate them but rarely would be able to use the extra capabilities over the LR. As a high 10 second family sedan it is already a damn fast street car on its own. I would really like to know from the Plaid owners here, how often (on the street) have you held the pedal to the floor for more than about 5-6 seconds. You must live in some really desolate areas and have very lax law enforcement.

Reactions: scrapps and 2101Guy
It’s $35k. And you keep talking about 1 second faster like it’s nothing….

Also it’s not just faster 0-60. It’s also faster 3-12, 20-37, 41-73 etc. In every metric it’s night and day faster.
As others have mentioned, it me actually less than a second faster. You’re paying $35k just for bragging rights. In 99% of driving scenarios you’ll never even approach the available acceleration from the LR, much less the Plaid. People keeping talking about 1/4 mile times, trap speed and track mode as if you all actually use any of that stuff. And for the minuscule percentage of people who actually track these cars, sure go have fun.

But I personally think it’s ridiculous that you get literally no other fancy options for that $35k, no nicer interior, no upgraded lighting, no better sound system, it’s literally just a faster motor and that’s it (besides the tiny trim differences).

That’s why I said 0-60 didn’t I? And yes for the 0.01% of Plaid owners who go to the track, they can enjoy a faster 1/4 mile and trap speed.
0-60 is a very small part of it, and even then, an almost full second is still HUGE
And a ton of Plaid owners go to the track, myself included. You clearly aren’t a speed freak so will never get it
The fact that you can buy the literal quickest accelerating car ever produced for UNDER $150k is absolutely incredible and WELL worth the premium over the LR
But if you’re not a car enthusiast then by all means.....

Funny that I don’t feel the need to justify my decision to get a Plaid. Why so much explaining why it‘s not worth the extra $? The one I have it’s the best car we’ve ever owned. Better than our old NSX, M5, all the Lexus’. It’s the muscle car I never had in my 20’s. A friend just bougot a LR and he’s convinced like wise. Better than his BMW Z8 (only has 3k miles). Worth more than he paid but not as good as his new MS.

And you’re right I rarely get on it. But I really like it when I do!

As others have mentioned, it me actually less than a second faster. You’re paying $35k just for bragging rights. In 99% of driving scenarios you’ll never even approach the available acceleration from the LR, much less the Plaid. People keeping talking about 1/4 mile times, trap speed and track mode as if you all actually use any of that stuff. And for the minuscule percentage of people who actually track these cars, sure go have fun.

But I personally think it’s ridiculous that you get literally no other fancy options for that $35k, no nicer interior, no upgraded lighting, no better sound system, it’s literally just a faster motor and that’s it (besides the tiny trim differences).

It's really insulting to many of us that you say we're paying $35k for "bragging rights." It's just nonsense. The Plaid is rocket-ship fast. There's a reason the Plaid gets all the plaudits and dedicated articles based solely on its performance, and the regular S is just another S with an updated interior, because - it's a massive difference. If you want to argue that the $35k isn't worth it to you, that's fine! But please don't tell us it's bragging rights when that performance difference makes many of us grin and gasp on a daily basis, whether it's 0-60, or just 10-30.

Good day, sir!

Everyone has their reasons for buying something. Enjoy what you bought. Some people might live in the middle of nowhere Texas or Nevada and actually open the cars up.

One of the most interesting quotes I heard about motorcycling I think can be applied to cars. It is more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

One thing I love about Teslas is how easy they are to launch and get good times. At the same time, it also takes driver skill out of the equation for acceleration. I sometimes miss the feeling of accomplishment when you got everything just right with your high performance ICE car and knocked off a great time or you were at the track with ostensibly the slower car and beat someone with what should have been a faster car.

Taking a Tesla to the drag strip is like playing a video game; wait for light, push pedal to floor, let up at the end. Almost nothing you can do at the launch to either make it go a lot faster down the track or mess it up either.

Who cares if it’s worth it or not guys, point is we all have our preferences and neither trim is inferior or superior buying decision. Just keep it to the objective differences and keep the subjectivity out of it.

Otherwise, I’m sure there are people on the Honda and Toyota forums mocking us tesla nuts for paying a $60-80k premium for a “fancier” car that gets us to the same destination. :)