Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic protective film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be sure to check out STEK DYNOshield if you are looking for a premium paint protection film for your new X. DYNOshield is not only self healing, but it's also infused with a high tech nano coating making it the easiest to clean and maintain film on the market. Here is a video showing a installation on a Model S.

BTW... Love the Llumar Platinum film on our X. There is also significant piece of mind driving in traffic and being able to worry less about rocks and road debris. Now if only I felt the same way about the windshield.... o_O

Hey guys, I just posted on another thread about this too, but I think that Yelp is a great tool for dialing in on local costs on this sort of application. I used Yelp's Request a Quote feature, and was able to blanket several high rated vendors here in AZ. Costs ranged from $2000, all the way up to $7k, so I highly recommend shopping around. In short, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but feel like I have a lot more leverage now as I get the MX in a couple weeks, and start getting serious about add one. Hope this helps...

If you decide to have PPF installed, do not cheap out, go with Xpel or something equivalent. All PPF will make your car look to have that wavy orange-peel effect, and also won't shine as much properly cared for factory paint, but the cheaper films will be even worse and can be more difficult to remove (which will cost you more down the road). People don't think about the long term costs of PPF, removal and repair being the biggies.

If you decide to have PPF installed, do not cheap out, go with Xpel or something equivalent. All PPF will make your car look to have that wavy orange-peel effect, and also won't shine as much properly cared for factory paint, but the cheaper films will be even worse and can be more difficult to remove (which will cost you more down the road). People don't think about the long term costs of PPF, removal and repair being the biggies.
I don't notice a wavy orange-peel effect at all with the Llumar Platinum film on my X. In fact the Llumar coated with Crystal Serum is much more shiny than my original, polished paint (and the same as my unwrapped, but Crystal Serum treated, doors and rear fenders) so I have to disagree.

Mike I'd love to see your Model X! It's refreshing to hear of someone who isn't disappointed with the finish of their PPF compared to a properly paint-corrected finish.
I think one of the reasons it may have turned out well is my detailer, Colorado Detail, paint corrects the finish before applying any film.

coloradodetail.com

Some pics:
18156565_1140939756017628_1584411771618462072_o.jpg
18156018_1140939746017629_9093207986061718689_o.jpg
17973863_1140939909350946_2090464444517984520_o.jpg

I was saying there is no difference in shine level between the areas covered with wrap and uncovered. For example my detailer paint corrected the entire car first. Then applied film to the front clip, rear bumper and a couple of other small areas. Then when this was complete went over the entire car, including the film, with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. Thus the shine and slickness is pretty much the same across the entire car. I honestly can't tell the hood is wrapped.

I don't notice a wavy orange-peel effect at all with the Llumar Platinum film on my X. In fact the Llumar coated with Crystal Serum is much more shiny than my original, polished paint (and the same as my unwrapped, but Crystal Serum treated, doors and rear fenders) so I have to disagree.

Same with ClearGuard Nano SR, in side by side comparisons is it much more clear and untextured than other wraps including XPEL.

Reactions: Mike M