Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic vibration noise inside coming from dash area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a vibration rattle on the passenger corner of the dash. it is NOT the plastic piece under the hood on the outside of the car. It is under the soft mesh cover at the base of the windshield. I removed that mesh cover and found the rattle. Unfortunately I don't know how to remediate it without taking apart more of the dash.

For those of you who have ruled out the plastic piece on the hood, just bang your fist (doesn't need to be too hard) on the dashboard near the rattle. You should be able to cause a bit of the vibration rattle with your fist.

To remove the mesh cover, you need to remove a small plastic panel next to the glovebox. That will allow you to remove the A-pillar cover. That will then give you pry access to the mesh. Just be careful - the dash material scratches easily.

Video for removal instructions:

start at 3:52 if that link doesn't preserve the start point.

Once the mesh cover is removed, press down on the plastic near the speaker. While doing that, bang your fist on the dash again. If your issue is the same as mine, you won't hear the vibration rattle. So.... to fix, you'll need to shim under the piece you're pushing down on. I have no clue how to get under there.

But at least SC or mobile service won't need to spend time with diagnosis....

Did you ever fix this? I have the same rattle in the same exact spot. I tracked it down then found your post.

I finally found what was causing the noise from the front dash area at higher speeds. It was hard to hear but I noticed it often and it drove me crazy. Lift the frunk lid all the way up, look down where the hinges meet the body. There are little plastic type cover that cover the hinge, they flop around loosely, not even sure what their purpose is. I used 3M double side tape and fastened them in place, noise is gone, in case anyone else
I’ll keep this short as I feel somewhat stupid about my rattle case.

I heard similar vibration/rattle noise seemingly coming from the air vent. Very annoying. Checked all solutions offered here. I just took delivery a week earlier but these noises started happening 3-4 days after. Eventually I took advice of using a tone generator app to force rattle sound without driving (great advice!). The source of the rattle?? I had attached a garage door opener to the visor with supplied metal clip. That was it! Me. Not Tesla or any other problem outlined in this or other forums. But honestly it really sounded like a loose piece rolling in the air vent.

Hope this helps someone. Look inward first. What did I change? 😊

Have you found the source? My rattling noise started last week and it’s driving me crazy! It sounds like it’s coming from the driver side vent or under the steering wheel and only when I’m going highway speeds. It sounds like a leaf is flapping around in the vent. My husband I changed the filters and looked in the frunk and can’t find the source. Not sure how to post a video on here.

I'm having severe rattling coming from my passenger side dash area.... going back again to the SC since the first repair didn't fix it.

Link to the video I made of it...
greetings brandon, were you or tesla able to pinpoint the issue? thank you for shooting this clip because i have the exact same issue! i have gone to tesla twice but because there is no pattern associated with the emergence of this low-level vibration, i was not able to reproduce the sound. tesla checked the clips in the right side door and said they checked out fine.

I'm having severe rattling coming from my passenger side dash area.... going back again to the SC since the first repair didn't fix it.

Link to the video I made of it...
greetings brandon, were you or tesla able to pinpoint the issue? thank you for shooting this clip because i have the exact same issue! i have gone to tesla twice but because there is no pattern associated with the emergence of this low-level vibration, i was not able to reproduce the sound. tesla checked the clips in the right side door and said they checked out fine.

Service Center told me the same thing when my car was in for the rattle on the left side dash, however a month later it’s back.
I had a dash rattle in my 2021 M3 SR+ (got it December 2020). I've had it in THREE TIMES. Each of those were covered under warranty. The rattle has returned after each of those 3 visits where they "fixed" it. I've wedged a piece of weather stripping between the dashboard and front speaker grill cover. It has lessened the rattle, but I'm probably going to have to do what this guy did to fix his similar rattle:

My rattling sound is inside the dash vent, driver side. Whenever I slide my fingers in it the sound stop. I haven't tried anything yet, do you have any clues to what it may be ?

Thanks.
I had a dash rattle in my 2021 M3 SR+ (got it December 2020). I've had it in THREE TIMES. Each of those were covered under warranty. The rattle has returned after each of those 3 visits where they "fixed" it. I've wedged a piece of weather stripping between the dashboard and front speaker grill cover. It has lessened the rattle, but I'm probably going to have to do what this guy did to fix his similar rattle:

I have a similar issue on the driver side, but it is only audible once the dash is a bit warm after sitting in the sun. Just got it back from SC and it's still rattling. I was able to recreate it with a tech in the vehicle.

Is there any write up on dash removal? I've seen videos on how to get the wood dash piece off but I want to take the upper flat part off.

Same exact issue coming from left/ driver-side speaker grill. 2 SC visits haven’t fixed it yet :(

I opened the frunk after reading a page or two of this thread, didn't see any hinges. So I gently tugged (it was under 20º out) that big cover near the windshield and the clip just SNAPPED and fell inside! I mean, I tugged VERY gentle to see where the resistance would come from. It must have been frozen?

No extra noises, but haven't found my rattle. I sure hope Tesla doesn't charge me a single dime on fixing this, it's pretty bad

My sound seems like it's coming from behind the center dash area, below the screen and inside somewhere. I used the frunk for the first time last week when hauling tile from a shop, I kinda wonder if it's related to that haul? (it was about 60 lbs in the trunk)

Hope to find out soon! Without music playing, it's very loud on every kind of bump the road hands over to the Tesla