Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing own music in 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you haven’t already, re-partition your Tesla USB (the one in the glovebox) into two. Label one partition TESLADRIVE with a subfolder TeslaCam. Label the other partition MUSIC. Drop your music folder there. Or get an SSD with more storage and partition it the same way.
Can't find anywhere to plug in anything in my glovebox in my 2024 Y. My neighbor has 2023 Y and we couldn't find a plug-in there either. Might you have an earlier model year? If not, please describe where to find the USB plug-in inside the glovebox. Thank you.

Can't find anywhere to plug in anything in my glovebox in my 2024 Y. My neighbor has 2023 Y and we couldn't find a plug-in there either. Might you have an earlier model year? If not, please describe where to find the USB plug-in inside the glovebox. Thank you.

The plug in the glovebox has a USB already in it, provided by tesla, for Dash cam. You would need to buy a USB hub of some sort, remove that USB drive, plug in the Hub, then plug that USB drive and whatever one you bought into the Hub.

There is absolutely, positively, 100000000% a USB drive that came with both your and your neighbors cars, and they are likely still in there unless you or someone with access to your car removed them. The provided drive is black, against the inside of the glovebox many people miss seeing it, but its definitely there.

Should be there. I'm not aware that the port for storing dashcam footage moved. It's on the driver's side, near the top.

GolveboxUSB.png

You don’t need to do anything with the dashcam USB in the glovebox. There are two additional USBs in the front compartment of the center console, which you can use for music.
Are you sure about that?

Since 2021-ish Model years, Tesla only provides power for the console USB ports. Only the port in the glovebox allows for data.

The manual has a note for this

Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

Of course, there are 3rd party products you can install to modify this.

Wow! Thank you so much for getting me straight. I had noticed that black thing and had tried pulling on it, but after you pointed it out, I tugged harder and got i! I plugged in one of my music USBs (not doing exactly what you had recommended) and sat for a while listening to Chopin Etudes and Brandenburg Concertos -- bliss! I hadn't seen amongst the icons one for USB, until I had plugged this in; but now it makes sense. I might try a dongle to see if I can also get the Tesla camera monitors working as well , but they are lower priority. (My right angle adaptors may also help switching out.) I used to use these USBs in my Model 3, where the plug-ins were in a different place, and could hardly believe that Tesla would have taken this away. What is interesting is that I took several questions to a techie at the Richmond Tesla base and he did NOT come up with this solution. So this forum is of great value. And I'll pass on the good news to my neighbor. Thanks again. I'll try to pass on a tip or two from my 9 years, now 4 Teslas, experience.

Wow! Thank you so much for getting me straight. I had noticed that black thing and had tried pulling on it, but after you pointed it out, I tugged harder and got i! I plugged in one of my music USBs (not doing exactly what you had recommended) and sat for a while listening to Chopin Etudes and Brandenburg Concertos -- bliss! I hadn't seen amongst the icons one for USB, until I had plugged this in; but now it makes sense. I might try a dongle to see if I can also get the Tesla camera monitors working as well , but they are lower priority. (My right angle adaptors may also help switching out.) I used to use these USBs in my Model 3, where the plug-ins were in a different place, and could hardly believe that Tesla would have taken this away. What is interesting is that I took several questions to a techie at the Richmond Tesla base and he did NOT come up with this solution. So this forum is of great value. And I'll pass on the good news to my neighbor. Thanks again. I'll try to pass on a tip or two from my 9 years, now 4 Teslas, experience.
You can partition an SSD, format the partitions as ExFat, put your music on one partition, and use the other for the Tesla cameras. The music partition will show up on the USB player, and your car will record to the other partition. I use a 1 TB Sandisc SSD paritioned 70% for music files. Just copy the name of the USB stick you pulled out of the car and use it for the name of one partition, and copy the folder from the USB stick to that partition. Call your music partition whatever you want (I cleverly named mine "Music").

No they cant. No Model 3 or Y since 2021 has data capacity from the factory in any port other than the glove box one.
Thanks for clarifying. I missed the note in the manual about the exclusion for newer vehicles. We haven’t tried using the console USB ports in our 2023 MY because we use Apple Music.

As others have noted, Bluetooth streaming is an option if the OP doesn’t want to partition the USB drive in the glovebox.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I plugged in one of my music USBs (not doing exactly what you had recommended) and sat for a while listening to Chopin Etudes and Brandenburg Concertos -- bliss!

.... I might try a dongle to see if I can also get the Tesla camera monitors working as well , but they are lower priority.

If the tesla camera is not a priority, is that because you have an aftermarket dash-cam?

To me, having the dashcam is high priority, along with Sentry recordings, and why I get so pissed that it never seems to work when I need it to, like the other day when I pressed 'record' after a traffic incident that I wanted a record of, only to have it give me an error and I was unable to clear that error before shutting off the car. The next day, it was back to working fine, with me having done nothing except the car likely went to sleep overnight. And I can't have Sentry recording in my parking spot in a public garage (exactly the use-case for it) because the LED light flicker causes hundreds of recording each night.

(Hence my dashcam question since I'm thinking of installing one to at least capture movement from one angle if required.)

I am having a problem playing music on my phone through the entertainment. I have a 21 MY LR and my phone is a XS iPhone. My Bluetooth is connected because I can send and receive calls. I have had no problems with my previous cars playing my music through on my phone through that cars entertainment system. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am having a problem playing music on my phone through the entertainment. I have a 21 MY LR and my phone is a XS iPhone. My Bluetooth is connected because I can send and receive calls. I have had no problems with my previous cars playing my music through on my phone through that cars entertainment system. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Did you select Bluetooth as the music source in the car? If you did, what exactly is the problem?

Has anyone figured out how to play own music in a 2024 Model Y? I can plug into a USBC, but can't find a way to play it.
This has been discussed a lot. The USB C Ports in the center console in 2024 MY are power only. They do not carry data and hence you cannot play any music through that or play games with external hardware. Pretty dumb of Tesla. There is no way around it in 2024 Models Y. Your only recourse is to have a USB hub and use the only data port in the glove box! Tesla wants to make sure you subscribe to their streaming service! LOL. The reason they give is chip shortage of course! Anyway! Buy a USB hub and stick your USB stick in it as well as the one for the Tesla Cam. It works.

Here is a good one I am using on my 2024 MYLR

Reactions: DrDiesel1
If you haven’t already, re-partition your Tesla USB (the one in the glovebox) into two. Label one partition TESLADRIVE with a subfolder TeslaCam. Label the other partition MUSIC. Drop your music folder there. Or get an SSD with more storage and partition it the same way.
Great Reply. Now I need to get my *.aic music files changed to *.mp4.. in bulk. I have ~2,500 to convert.