Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please chime in if in agreement so that AP is not disabled...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately waivers doesn't help the other drivers on the road who have to deal with beta software cars.

Perhaps when autopilot is enabled it can also flash the hazard lights to inform other drivers.

You do realize that most, if not all of these AP news stories as of late are of Human-Error, right?

And how do you have 754 posts since Feb 7th?....... Very intradast.

Reactions: jdw
Not a bad idea at all. Some type of visible warning to other drivers that a beta test in progress would be helpful too.

Like a giant sign on the back of the car that says 'Student Software'?

You acknowledge a waiver when you accept the warnings on the screen. You can't even get people to read owners manuals, much less watch a video, or a series of videos with tests, or in-car/simulator training like in an aircraft environment. It is a struggle to overcome human nature.

I have experience as a flight instructor flying with aircraft owners to train and log insurance hours, who have purchased new aircraft or upgraded their avionics with more advanced automation systems (nav, autopilot, glass cockpit). It has to start with the discipline to understand both your own limitations, and the limitations of the systems involved and understand how you manage risk. It also starts with education, and immersing yourself in the documentation. You would be surprised how many pilots have $500K for a technologically advanced aircraft, yet are too lazy and/or impatient to educate themselves on what could kill them or save their lives.

It's difficult enough in an aircraft environment. Transferring this to car owners is exponentially more difficult. The average car owner is low information. How many forums have you been on where the response to a questions is RTFM. As another poster above stated, the system needs to be as intuitive as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: CTShore
I know I spammed the forum but I am sick of all the nonsense already, I think that if you post in the forum hosted by Tesla they will get the point. We as owners don't mind going through the training if its for the greater good. If someone refuses, disable and give them back their $2500, in the long run Tesla is saving $.
I just posted on the Tesla forum supporting the OP of that thread.

@zambono it is known that people at Tesla read TMC, they do pay attention to what goes on here.

No, no, no. Autopilot is fine. Many drivers suck. They'll suck in any car. Autopilot is still a net improvement for them.

Every day I see people driving erratically because they're texting. Shall we force everyone to sign a waver before they're allowed to purchase a smartphone?

I've seen people reading newspapers at the wheel. A notorious forum member here reads books at the wheel. Do we require training and wavers for newspapers and books?

Every day I see drivers behaving badly. Do we have required training for people to drive a car? Oh wait, we do! That is where efforts should be concentrated.

I really do not get this reaction on the AP, Tesla always seems to get the attention and none of the other millions of cars out on the road are never get the media's attention. I have already posted about the misconception of what AP does vs autonomous driving. You need to be alert and use your brain, if you do something stupid you might get into trouble. I'm also concerned that the powers that be will step in at limit this technology, and that would be unfortunate.

People and Media need to understand that AP is still in BETA. Meaning, still in development.. Yes, we have paid for it, knowing that it is not fully operational. But that doesn't mean, we rely on it. Once it get full approval, it shall be released from Tesla. Even then, I will never fully depend on AP. No one blames AP till it involves in an accident. In all these Tesla accidents, I have seen some kind of human errors. The biggest one is over confident in AP system. One should never trust it fully, even if it not in BETA mode. It is there for some relaxation while driving.
Just my 2 cents.

To have a paid beta for life threatening technology was a mistake on Tesla's part. AP 1.0 will never get out of beta. AP 2.0 might, but what are all the folks going to do that are stuck with AP 1.0 in perpetual beta.

Life threatening technology??? Wow... Just wow... Sometimes you just don't know how to react when you see someone post something that is so unbelievably ignorant, it defeats the ability to respond rationally...

Jeff

My concern is a panicky overreaction from the government to ban Autopilot and similar technology for 2 - 3 years while they write rules on it, like what happened with drones. I hope that this is not what happens, but I am afraid it will, based on experience...

Unfortunately waivers doesn't help the other drivers on the road who have to deal with beta software cars.
Perhaps when autopilot is enabled it can also flash the hazard lights to inform other drivers.
You got dislikes, but I don't really agree with them. Instituting a waiver policy is almost guaranteed to ensure Tesla is sued in the event of an accident with another vehicle, and weakens their legal position by providing written evidence that they believe the feature is unsafe enough to warrant a signed waiver of rights and in-person training.

The current setup is the right balance, IMO.

Reactions: Blueeyedme
I really do not get this reaction on the AP, Tesla always seems to get the attention and none of the other millions of cars out on the road are never get the media's attention.
In this case I think there are two principal factors involved:

Articles with Tesla in the headline get clicks, and...

Tesla AP is the first partially autonomous driving system that has had widespread use because it is remarkably good at what it does within the limits described by Tesla. There are other very limited similar systems from other manufacturers but they are so poor that far fewer people use them.

Reactions: msnow and Milin1609
No, no, no. Autopilot is fine. Many drivers suck. They'll suck in any car. Autopilot is still a net improvement for them.

Every day I see people driving erratically because they're texting. Shall we force everyone to sign a waver before they're allowed to purchase a smartphone?

I've seen people reading newspapers at the wheel. A notorious forum member here reads books at the wheel. Do we require training and wavers for newspapers and books?

Every day I see drivers behaving badly. Do we have required training for people to drive a car? Oh wait, we do! That is where efforts should be concentrated.

Not sure if the No No is directed at me, but just in case that was my point we need at the very least an informative video for Tesla drivers as to the capabilities of AP before it is enabled for them.

I gotta agree with this. The distracted drivers (and there are a lot of them) will be safer with lane keeping and TACC technology. The person who becomes less safe is the person who believes the technology is fool-proof and thus they don't need to pay attention at all.

Reactions: neroden
Not sure if the No No is directed at me, but just in case that was my point we need at the very least an informative video for Tesla drivers as to the capabilities of AP before it is enabled for them.

And my point is that bad drivers are an epidemic and it's something that needs better training and testing to address. Autopilot misuse is a tiny subset of the larger problem. Videos and waivers won't help the problem, they'll just be annoying for people who don't suck.

While I think these reported users are misusing Autopilot or simply using it as an out to blame something or someone else, I do believe that the limits of Autopilot need to be more openly expressed by Tesla. In an effort to market the product I think they, whether intentional or not, do not discuss its true capabilities or pitfalls and leave it vague. I'm a big fan of Tesla and have a 3 reserved and I hope for an even more advanced system on my 3.