Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please chime in if in agreement so that AP is not disabled...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla has ever called a critical function as being in beta regardless of how well it worked?

Critical functions like

AEB
TACC
Blindspot monitoring
Side Monitoring (the new name for blindspot monitoring)
Collision warning

I know AP as a whole is considered Beta
I know lane-steering is in beta
I know summons is in beta

I know when I bought my '08 BMW 5 series with Active Cruise control, I had to sign waivers acknowledging my responsibilities. I realise that I basically did it when I clicked on the button on the first use of Autopilot. Still, from a legal perspective, I can see doing likewise again in paperwork for having it active. It's stunning to see how people are stupidly abusing this (sitting in the rear seat with autopilot should earn that guy a license suspension minimum), but I guess it's inevitable given how many people also drive while looking at cellphones or texting.

For those who think training should be mandatory, I understand, but then what happens when there's an update? Does that mean one has to go through it all again? I can understand that perhaps Tesla should take some time with people to show them exactly how Autopilot works - it would add roughly a half hour to the delivery time I would think. That, or leave time to have new owners ask specific questions prompted by asking the new owners how they would start using Autopilot.

I wonder if they could do some type of link to Tesla.com with some type of tutorial with each relevant update of AP. You would get a release note, and then an email with a hyperlink to a tutorial that you can do online.

While I agree with you, I'm not that worried about the NHSTA and the NTSB ... I'm worried about the constant flow of misinformation in the media. I don't know that there is anything Tesla can do about that as there are an awful lot of people (lot of awful people?) with a vested interest in Tesla failing. It's a PR fight more than anything.
I completely agree. It happens with pretty much every news story these days.. I just read a post by Steve Hanley on Teslerati about the phrase “If it bleeds, it leads,” . It is so true.

No problem whit the autopilot. The problem is human stupidity

I am sure there are readers of the is thread with engineering backgrounds whom I would pose the following thought experiment.

EM asks you to test AP in a circumstance where a white tractor trailer is crossing an undivided highway. The driver is wantonly disregarding the warnings to keep hands on the wheel and is either distracted or incapacitated at 60 mph. You set up a crash test with a test dummy and send the car down the road. The result is the same is what happened in the May 7th accident. You are not giving opinion on fault but only the performance of the systems, (AEB, TACC, Autosteer for example).

What would you report back to EM summarizing the performance of AP?

I personally have experience testing seat belt systems on sled tests for systems regulated and non regulated by the NHTSA and am well aware of the potential liability risk with any automotive safety product. From the tweets of Mr Musk re:accidents I am shocked that he doesn’t have general counsel advising him against any public pronouncements, particularly getting out ahead of the the NHTSA and NTSB. Those agencies will takes weeks perhaps months to get the facts straight and there is simply no way that Tesla has that same amount of information already and his attitude towards safety could appear cavalier. It is not just about logs from the vehicle.

I am sure there are readers of the is thread with engineering backgrounds whom I would pose the following thought experiment.

EM asks you to test AP in a circumstance where a white tractor trailer is crossing an undivided highway. The driver is wantonly disregarding the warnings to keep hands on the wheel and is either distracted or incapacitated at 60 mph. You set up a crash test with a test dummy and send the car down the road. The result is the same is what happened in the May 7th accident. You are not giving opinion on fault but only the performance of the systems, (AEB, TACC, Autosteer for example).

What would you report back to EM summarizing the performance of AP?

I personally have experience testing seat belt systems on sled tests for systems regulated and non regulated by the NHTSA and am well aware of the potential liability risk with any automotive safety product. From the tweets of Mr Musk re:accidents I am shocked that he doesn’t have general counsel advising him against any public pronouncements, particularly getting out ahead of the the NHTSA and NTSB. Those agencies will takes weeks perhaps months to get the facts straight and there is simply no way that Tesla has that same amount of information already and his attitude towards safety could appear cavalier. It is not just about logs from the vehicle.
We also don't know if advise was givin if it was ignored.

Some of you act as if this technology only exists in Tesla. Volvo, Mercedes, Honda, Lincoln, BMW, etc.have this technology. Telsa just used the wrong name to gain a marketing advantage.

Additionally, the Federal Government has mandated that in 2020 ALL new manufactured passenger vehicle have frontal collision avoidance systems. These systems utilize the same exact technology of sensing the surroundings, judging speed and direction of object sand slowing or stopping the vehicle. This is not going away. Not for Tesla and not for all the vehicles that are and will be built with this technology. And, there will be no waiver, other than the message that pops up on the vehcile's display that tells the driver to pay attention. JMHO

Here's the best analogy I can think of:

If anyone has taken a long distance trip on a commercial jet in the past 20 or so years, the pilots have used autopilot at some point. Does the pilot and co-pilot both get up and leave the cabin at the same time? No. Why? In order to ensure that a responsible person can take control the plane in the event of something going amiss (I believe federally mandated). So what is so different about this system? Nothing. The driver of the vehicle is still responsible for ensuring that they are in control of the vehicle at all times. How many people would think twice if someone said that there was no pilot on the plane? Most likely everyone. People who decide to sit in the back seat and show off, or fall asleep fail the first task of responsibility. Raise the penalties accordingly, including revoking driving licenses.

When you call something "self-driving", that infers (to me, at least) that it can manage without the aid of a driver. Google has said that, and has gone the extra step of trying to eliminate the driver by removing the steering wheel, which the US government has turned around and kiboshed the idea.

Autopilot is evolving, but even Musk has said it is not currently fully autonomous and has a ways to go. Yes, he has an idea of where the technology is going and has expressed it. The press, including the likes of Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, MotorTrend, etc who have spent time evaluating these systems puts Tesla at the tops, but not without caveats. What's funny is that the likes of Consumer Reports have only asked Tesla to stop, but nobody else - and that is wrong. If they're going to take a stand, then they should be requesting all the manufacturers to stop. That includes Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Jaguar, Rover, Google and probably more.

Personally, I see no problem using Autopilot. Take the time to understand the system, how it works, the caveats and most importantly pay attention - it's a useful tool. Abuse it and well...

No problem whit the autopilot. The problem is human stupidity

This example is actually an AP parody video with 131K views, and includes the following disclaimer:

"This video was filmed in a Tesla Model X with the autopilot feature, which prompts a warning sound if the driver needs to put his or her hands on the wheel. Please know that for the safety of others, as well as ourselves, extensive planning and safety precautions were implemented (including takes that were only a few seconds long.) This “road trip” is meant as a parody only. We do not rely on the auto-pilot feature as portrayed in the video and we never sleep while the car is driving itself, nor should anyone else. Thanks for watching!"

This example is actually an AP parody video with 131K views, and includes the following disclaimer:

"This video was filmed in a Tesla Model X with the autopilot feature, which prompts a warning sound if the driver needs to put his or her hands on the wheel. Please know that for the safety of others, as well as ourselves, extensive planning and safety precautions were implemented (including takes that were only a few seconds long.) This “road trip” is meant as a parody only. We do not rely on the auto-pilot feature as portrayed in the video and we never sleep while the car is driving itself, nor should anyone else. Thanks for watching!"

Regardless, just call them by their proper name: organ donors. There was enough time in which they were sufficiently distracted that an accident could have occurred - in heavy traffic at that. This in the name of notoriety in a video.

Reactions: msnow