Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please chime in if in agreement so that AP is not disabled...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I spammed the forum but I am sick of all the nonsense already, I think that if you post in the forum hosted by Tesla they will get the point. We as owners don't mind going through the training if its for the greater good. If someone refuses, disable and give them back their $2500, in the long run Tesla is saving $.

Posted in the most recent "AP crashed my car" thread today:

Most of the regular posters here are somewhat technical and understand, at least at a conceptual level, how AP sensors work and their limitations. If you really had no idea and AP seemed somewhat magical, this kind of thing is what happens. Read the news articles about these events and even if they're written to slam Tesla, you realize how poorly AP is understood by the masses.

I think all Tesla could do about this would be to create a training and certification program for AP with a sign off that you had received the training, understood the limitations and were responsible for the operation of the vehicle at all times. No certification, no autopilot.

They shouldn't have to do this; AP is really only TACC and lane keeping, but the recent spate of driver error related AP posts suggests otherwise. It would at least help with the PR. Every recent AP accident has had a large, if not complete, case of drivers overestimating or not understanding AP's current abilities.

Other Waivers and Training (W&T) Needed:

Using Cruise Control - Both Standard and Adaptive
Using the Brake Pedal - How to Stop a Vehicle
Using the Accelerator - How to Use Gradual Acceleration Techniques versus Matting the Pedal
Rear View Camera - How to use side mirrors and the rear view camera safely
Turn Signals - How to notify surrounding motorists of your intentions to change lanes or turn
Vanity Mirror/Rear View Mirror Usage - Not to be utilized as a cosmetic mirror while moving
Loud Music - Why playing the music too loud is a safety hazard to all surrounding drivers and first responders

How far are you going to take it? Why not just ban vehicles? Too many people die each day from automobiles that murder their drivers and/or passengers.

How far are you going to take it? Why not just ban vehicles? Too many people die each day from automobiles that murder their drivers and/or passengers.

Agree completely, but in this case ignorance is affecting Tesla and ultimately each of us. As I said, you shouldn't have to do this ...but not doing it may be worse for everyone involved.

I also realize that you already have to acknowledge the risks and responsibility before AP is enabled, but this depends upon the person actually reading and understanding - in a small but very visible part of Tesla's user base, this does not seem to be happening.

Last edited:
Doesn't really belong in the Model 3 forums but we've mentioned in other threads that videos would be helpful for customers and the general public.
We've seen many people trying to "test the autopilot limits" because the limits are possibly not clear to people. Where is it useful, where does it fail, where does it work best, what possible difficulties are there, what conditions might adversely affect how it works, etc... Many of us can make highly educated guesses, but it'd be nice for an official video.

Other Waivers and Training (W&T) Needed:

Using Cruise Control - Both Standard and Adaptive
Using the Brake Pedal - How to Stop a Vehicle
Using the Accelerator - How to Use Gradual Acceleration Techniques versus Matting the Pedal
Rear View Camera - How to use side mirrors and the rear view camera safely
Turn Signals - How to notify surrounding motorists of your intentions to change lanes or turn
Vanity Mirror/Rear View Mirror Usage - Not to be utilized as a cosmetic mirror while moving
Loud Music - Why playing the music too loud is a safety hazard to all surrounding drivers and first responders

Like jdw said, it is going to affect us and the technology is fairly new and some don't know its limitations. If me enduring a video and signing a waiver will prevent AP from being removed all together then so be it.

I was trying to get maximum exposure, I do believe it belongs here because sooner rather than later there will be more model 3 owners than any other Tesla model and many will want to have AP. You can proactively voice your concern now so that it is not the case when you receive your 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiberius
I was trying to get maximum exposure, I do believe it belongs here because sooner rather than later there will be more model 3 owners than any other Tesla model and many will want to have AP. You can proactively voice your concern now so that it is not the case when you receive your 3.
I expect if I pay extra for a feature that it will be enabled. I also expect that autopilot is far more advanced on the Model 3.

It would not be disabled... Should we disable all seat belts or airbags because one or two people used them incorrectly and events happened possibly out of their control? You don't go around disabling safety features that actually work when used properly.

Reactions: MarcCBR
Waivers are of limited help. Are all passengers going to sign waivers? Renters? Borrowers? What about other road users? Pedestrians?

Either the system is ready to be used by customers on public roads, with the manufacturer accepting responsibility for defects, or it isn't.

I don't think Tesla needs to disable Autopilot. Just change the implementation to require more frequent hands on the wheel reminders (with appropriate sensitivity to avoid excessive false alarms), and be explicit in all marketing (including Elon's tweets) that it is not self-driving, but merely a driving aid.

Tesla has happily accepted the mantle of a leader in semi-autonomous driving technology. With that comes some responsibility to ensure these systems are used properly. They should spend some advertising dollars to educate the public, including intended purchasers.

I am not one to dictate how Tesla should implement the training, but based on recent events it should. The tech is fairly new and safety of it has yet to be proven. I do believe that it will lead to safer roads, but if many current drivers are misusing it then it is not the case. There are some features which are more safety focused such as the collision warnings but I am referring to the active steering which falls under convenience. By the way if you pay for the option then you should be fully able to sit down and get educated on the tech, if you are unwilling to do so then get a refund.

Either the system is ready to be used by customers on public roads, with the manufacturer accepting responsibility for defects, or it isn't.

To my knowledge, we haven't seen a defect in AP and certainly not in the lane keeping aspect of it. TACC works about the same as any other manufacturers TACC and likely better. We have seen a number of instances of operator error or misunderstanding that Tesla has to carry the can for.

Unfortunately, Tesla (and TSLA) has a target on its back and likely should go the extra mile that other manufacturers don't have to.