Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help me. I lost my Valentine and I'm not in a good place. :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a HUGE Tesla fan since I took delivery of my first Model S in March 2013. I love the company and its fearless leader Elon, its mission, other Tesla owners, and of course its products. Since I was bitten by the Tesla bug I followed the boards, supercharger progress, and any and all news Tesla. Lately, however, I've lost interest. My love affair with Tesla is on the rocks. And it comes down to something that to me seems incredibly trivial.

Like many, I jumped on getting a loaded S90D when Tesla communicated that unlimited supercharging was coming to an end. I never really used superchargers much but free was FREE--and awesome. And since the Model S I owned was perfectly fine I told DS to delay the car as late as possible. Ideally I wanted to miss the snow and salt of Minnesota roads in March. The DS said I better get the order immediately (Mid-December) because I had to take delivery in March and production was filling up fast. She also assured me that any changes were not possible after a week but any upgrades or changes made available after the first week could be added without penalty--as long as the car was not it production. Soooo. When the S100D was announced I called my DS and said, please upgrade my order to the S100D. I don't need supercharging anyway. Well, the answer that came back from California was "Not possible, the parts have already been sourced for your car and we are preparing to put it in production." I was very disappointed with this response from a company that's producing just 2 models. Couldn't these parts be used on other cars. I pleaded to apply my $2500 toward the newer car with the upgraded batter to no avail. My local Minnesota team tried and tried with no luck. So I canceled my order and decided to reorder when I felt better about the situation. My car was built 2 weeks later. I'm baffled that a company that makes real-time manufacturing changes cannot alter my order to a car that suits me better with 3 weeks notice. I know I signed an agreement that my deposit would be lost if I canceled--but I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to upgrade. And while I hate losing $2500, I'm more miffed my beloved Tesla treated me worse than the Ford dealership down the block.

That's about enough of my whiny rant about my first world problem. Just hoping this letter--and you guys--will help me feel better about Tesla again. Any insight, support, sympathy cards, chocolates, would be appreciated.

This is a common emotional response when someone commits to a purchase, and then something better comes along.

Drives Tesla crazy when, at the last moment, people want to change their orders. Due to efficient sourcing Tesla plans for production far in advance of the car going down the line. They need to have all their thousands of items ready, and in house, to assure that everything will be on hand when the car needs it.

Changing just one thing, at the last moment, could effect so many other parts of the car. Just changing the tire size will effect current drain, programing, vehicle weight, handling, EPA, safety etc.

So many people want to adjust their order at the last minute, so Tesla has in place an efficient policy in place to reduce the chaos that could ensue.

My timeline (new S90D delivered just before Christmas 2016) was similar: the 100D was announced while my red sled was being built. But I've learned there will always be something new/better so I choose to order the best configuration available (for my needs) at the time, order, drive and enjoy. Rinse and repeat every four years. Thats at least four years of happy driving while watching the inevitable changes and updates occur, celebrating the new owners that have THOSE new things, and enjoying the new amazing things my 2016 has that my 2012 didn't.

Reactions: Sully's8 and JHWJR
I do hope getting that off your chest made you feel better. I'm waiting on a S 90D that I ordered on 1/15, just a few days before the 100D came on line. Of course I was a bit deflated for a moment, but now I'm cool with it. Whether it's computers, TVs, phones, appliances, clothing, or . . . cars . . . , something newer always is just around the corner.

C'est la vie.

You really ought to cut Tesla some slack on how you were treated. If you ordered in mid-December, then you were well into the production process. As you mentioned, they still built the car even after you cancelled the order. It only follows that the manufacturing is not as "real-time" as you think it is. There is a point of no return, and you were beyond it. You really can't get too upset because they only lived up to their end of the agreement and expected you to live up to yours. Really, it sounds like your DS and the rest of your local team really went to bat for you, and that's a heck of a more than I could expect from anyone else I was going to buy a car from.

Reactions: JHWJR and Joelc
This is a common emotional response when someone commits to a purchase, and then something better comes along.

Drives Tesla crazy when, at the last moment, people want to change their orders. Due to efficient sourcing Tesla plans for production far in advance of the car going down the line. They need to have all their thousands of items ready, and in house, to assure that everything will be on hand when the car needs it.

Changing just one thing, at the last moment, could effect so many other parts of the car. Just changing the tire size will effect current drain, programing, vehicle weight, handling, EPA, safety etc.

So many people want to adjust their order at the last minute, so Tesla has in place an efficient policy in place to reduce the chaos that could ensue.
My timeline (new S90D delivered just before Christmas 2016) was similar: the 100D was announced while my red sled was being built. But I've learned there will always be something new/better so I choose to order the best configuration available (for my needs) at the time, order, drive and enjoy. Rinse and repeat every four years. Thats at least four years of happy driving while watching the inevitable changes and updates occur, celebrating the new owners that have THOSE new things, and enjoying the new amazing things my 2016 has that my 2012 didn't.

Thanks Pilot Steve! That's a good way to look at it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I do hope getting that off your chest made you feel better. I'm waiting on a S 90D that I ordered on 1/15, just a few days before the 100D came on line. Of course I was a bit deflated for a moment, but now I'm cool with it. Whether it's computers, TVs, phones, appliances, clothing, or . . . cars . . . , something newer always is just around the corner.

C'est la vie.

You really ought to cut Tesla some slack on how you were treated. If you ordered in mid-December, then you were well into the production process. As you mentioned, they still built the car even after you cancelled the order. It only follows that the manufacturing is not as "real-time" as you think it is. There is a point of no return, and you were beyond it. You really can't get too upset because they only lived up to their end of the agreement and expected you to live up to yours. Really, it sounds like your DS and the rest of your local team really went to bat for you, and that's a heck of a more than I could expect from anyone else I was going to buy a car from.

I feel a little better already. But Ima gonna wait until June to reorder. I heard from a supplier in Salt Lake City big changes coming in June which sounds incredible. We shall see if his prediction pans out.

I feel a little better already. But Ima gonna wait until June to reorder. I heard from a supplier in Salt Lake City big changes coming in June which sounds incredible. We shall see if his prediction pans out.

Shoot, yeah. If you're happy with your current car, then why not wait a little more to see what happens? Frankly, if I already were in a Tesla, I'd be happy to wait. However, I finally succumbed to Teslust!

Reactions: johnster007
Acording to Elon, they are in a rapid and constant improvement path.

If you are always waiting until the next incredible improvement is announced, you may never get a Tesla.

99% of the time you are driving your Tesla, you will notice absolutely no difference between an 90 or 100.

Just reread your original post, and noticed that you already have a 2013 Model S to drive. Guess waiting a little longer will not make much difference.

GO TESLA!

If you wanted to change just the battery pack capacity, it is ridiculous that you cannot do it.

They have hundreds of P100D just "out at sales locations" sitting around waiting to be sold. They have no shortage of packs and batteries and adjusting to 100 from a 90 is almost a no-brainer. That they they build the S90 "as if to spite you" after you cancelled is also a bit strange if expense management is really being done to not be wasteful. But we've heard this story many times before. People cancelling prior to the 7-day window, and getting refunded, also got their Vin #s assigned afterward and apparently the car is built too (unless that's changed).

If you wanted to change just the battery pack capacity, it is ridiculous that you cannot do it.

You can. It costs $2,500. And it's not just about this one sale. There are probably 10,000 folks who would be perfectly happy with their 90D/P90D except for the fact that there is now a 100D. There has to be something that keeps them from dumping 10,000 cars on Tesla in favor of the car that now has their attention. And the 90's are worth something less than before the 100D, as demonstrated by the number of people who consider the jump. If you really must move to the 100D, there is nothing improper with asking the jumper to share the pain of their own indecision.

Reactions: Sully's8

You can. It costs $2,500. And it's not just about this one sale. There are probably 10,000 folks who would be perfectly happy with their 90D/P90D except for the fact that there is now a 100D. There has to be something that keeps them from dumping 10,000 cars on Tesla in favor of the car that now has their attention. And the 90's are worth something less than before the 100D, as demonstrated by the number of people who consider the jump. If you really must move to the 100D, there is nothing improper with asking the jumper to share the pain of their own indecision.

Thanks for the response JHWJR. I fully agree that I should "share the pain" for the inconvenience--just disagree that the change costs Tesla $2500. I even offered to meet Tesla in the middle at $1250. I have trouble believing it's that difficult to make my original build an inventory car and applying a partial credit to a different, more expensive vehicle. In my business I would make that concession to save the sale especially for a bigger order. And that type of goodwill goes a long way toward creating a lifelong customer. Doesn't strike me as good business. My two cents.

Thanks for the response JHWJR. I fully agree that I should "share the pain" for the inconvenience--just disagree that the change costs Tesla $2500. I even offered to meet Tesla in the middle at $1250. I have trouble believing it's that difficult to make my original build an inventory car and applying a partial credit to a different, more expensive vehicle. In my business I would make that concession to save the sale especially for a bigger order. And that type of goodwill goes a long way toward creating a lifelong customer. Doesn't strike me as good business. My two cents.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, I don't know how we can know what it really costs Tesla when someone cancels an order that far into production. I don't know what your business is, but I'm fairly confident that it's not automobile manufacturing. I know my business isn't that, but mine does often involve spending or committing a good deal of money in good faith based on an agreement, and it can hurt pretty badly when someone then wants to reneg on that agreement. I do know a couple of guys who currently do manage or have managed auto dealerships, and they HATE inventory. Inventory is an enormous cost for them (security, insurance, space, maintenance), so much so that they may very well "blow a car out" (sell at little or no profit, or even a small loss) just to avoid continuing costs. I know that Tesla is a different situation, but not necessarily an easier one, since Tesla really wants to operate on a "no inventory" basis.

To be fair, $2,500 is a very small deposit on a $100+k car. It's little more than a token, if that. When you start talking about the sort of car we are talking about (built to order, limited inventory, high performance), it's not terribly unusual to see deposits of at least 10%.

Frankly, let's also be fair about your "more expensive vehicle" comment. It's not like you were trying to upgrade from a 60D to a P100D. The difference between the 90D and the 100D is all of $3,000.

Also, there are cases where they will allow such a change without having to cancel the order. When I inquired about changing my 90D order to a 100D, I could have done so without losing my deposit. However, I asked only three days after my order confirmed, not a month. They were within their rights to say "sorry, pal," but they didn't, so they truly are willing to accommodate. There really is a point of no return. In the end, I stuck with the 90 for the lifetime supercharging.

The fact that they still built the car indicates that they are aren't making money on the deposit. Rather, it's there to defray some of the cost of putting it into inventory and the risk of holding it. It also is a reflection of the fact that, almost certainly, they aren't going to make as much money on that car as they would have if you had taken delivery. Sure, they'll probably make money on it if they sell it (IF they sell it), but then there is one fewer customer out there to place an order (their best margin). In other words, they already are sharing the pain, and you just wanted them to take more of it. Saying that you were going to place another order doesn't carry much weight, if you think about it. You might then change or cancel that order, just as you did with the first, and they may then be stuck with two cars that you ordered but did not take delivery on but only one deposit. I suppose that, if you were to go ahead and pay their cost on the new order, they may reconsider.

In any case, Tesla set the "pain" price, and we all agreed to it. I understand that we all want more freedom and more of the old "Nordstrom philosophy" (i.e., "the customer is always right"), but let's also be fair.

Reactions: MP3Mike
We know Tesla builds in batches based on certain traits. It seems pretty likely that battery size is one such trait.

For argument's sake, let's assume that was true. You were scheduled in a delivery slot with a 90kWh battery. That slot couldn't support a 100kWh battery, so the only option was to move you to a new slot. The 100kWh slots near your own delivery all being taken, and the fact that they're now effectively building a 90kWh model no one asked for on short notice, to their mind justifies keeping your deposit.

I agree it seems like a "hey, just stick a different battery in there" kind of thing, especially given they're physically interchangeable, but the realities of their production process might prevent it.

We know Tesla builds in batches based on certain traits. It seems pretty likely that battery size is one such trait.

For argument's sake, let's assume that was true. You were scheduled in a delivery slot with a 90kWh battery. That slot couldn't support a 100kWh battery, so the only option was to move you to a new slot. The 100kWh slots near your own delivery all being taken, and the fact that they're now effectively building a 90kWh model no one asked for on short notice, to their mind justifies keeping your deposit.

I agree it seems like a "hey, just stick a different battery in there" kind of thing, especially given they're physically interchangeable, but the realities of their production process might prevent it.
Yeah, I get it but they build cars all the time for inventory. Why not make it an inventory car and let me buy another one? Tesla has boasted about making 20 changes to manufacturing per week. That strikes me as being far more difficult than adding a car to inventory. Just sayin.

There's a thread (I'm too lazy to find) that compares the 100kwh t o the 90kwh and they are actually structurally different. Not sure they are interchangeable. . . Fyi
I looked around again, but couldn't find any evidence there were structural changes that made them incompatible with other vehicles. We've known for quite awhile now that the internal structure is substantially different (via this thread: Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack ), but the bolt patterns and connection mechanisms were reportedly the same. There's a minor spacer and ring change on the HV connector, but as far as I'm aware, that's it. A couple owners are watching for 100 kWh salvages to swap into their older vehicles. So I don't believe they're in a situation where Chassis A supports only 100 kWh batteries, and Chassis B supports only 60-90 kWh batteries.

Could be wrong, though. I can't find the thread you're talking about.

Yeah, I get it but they build cars all the time for inventory. Why not make it an inventory car and let me buy another one? Tesla has boasted about making 20 changes to manufacturing per week. That strikes me as being far more difficult than adding a car to inventory. Just sayin.
That's what they did. But it's less valuable as an inventory car, so they kept the deposit to offset the loss.