Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-in car Grant now £3000 (was £3500) for cars under £50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it’s on a boat, as many of these cars are, then they won’t be registered. Tesla register the cars on the day of delivery usually, and one presumes they can’t apply for the PIG without registration...
You’re correct, the dealer can’t apply for the PIG using the government portal until after the car is registered. So nothing to do with whether or not you already have the registration number. Tesla registers the car on the day of delivery.

Personally I can’t see Tesla absorbing this change. In the scheme of things, the UK market is quite small, and I suspect they will want to maintain margins and be willing to take the hit on UK orders.

I suppose the silver lining is that this change will do no harm to resale values of used LR and P Model 3s.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I wonder if Tesla will adjust the prices to get all 3's under the limit but that would mean taking several thousands off the list price of the Performance

I can't imagine that Tesla will absorb PIG ... the T&C's are clear as day on that point.

But it wouldn't be the first time Tesla have manipulated price to get under a hurdle... e.g. unbundle AP on the P ... and offer as an after-sale purchase.

The saving on Luxury Tax could be offset against increase in PIG ...

Reactions: Rooster6655
I think it depends when Tesla applied for the grant through the government portal.

Plug-in vehicle grant portal

See section on lead times
Lead times
3.9 We recognise that some manufacturers have long lead times and in this case the
order should be started as soon as a ‘contract’ has been signed with the customer.
3.10 A grant is not guaranteed until the vehicle has been validated through the portal.
However, provided that the vehicle is registered within 9 months from the date the
order is made, any claim placed on the system for a specific customer will be
guaranteed to benefit from the grant at the level advertised at the time the claim is
made.
3.11 OLEV will use its discretion to consider whether grant levels may be guaranteed for
vehicles registered beyond the reasonable timeframe. A claim cannot be added to
the portal before the contract with the customer has been entered into or after the
vehicle has been registered.
3.12 It is the dealer’s responsibility to track orders and ensure they are progressing
through the system by completing orders correctly. Orders that have been in the
system for more than 9 months will be entered into the ‘on hold’ status and will
require special dispensation from OLEV to be allowed to be processed

To add further confusion to the mix I replied to the tweet put out by the Government's OLEV office referencing this announcement, the person who manages their account claims that this change "relates to orders not deliveries".

Clear as mud, either way Elon now has at least two tweets referencing this in his timeline.

To add further confusion to the mix I replied to the tweet put out by the Government's OLEV office referencing this announcement, the person who manages their account claims that this change "relates to orders not deliveries".

Clear as mud, either way Elon now has at least two tweets referencing this in his timeline.

Hopefully common sense will ensure those that have ordered by that date are eligible - it could be chaos if not!

The guidance says "orders placed on the portal", which is pretty unambiguous. If Tesla don't put these cars through the portal until they're registered, then anything not already registered today at the latest would be past that point I would think.

The guidance says "orders placed on the portal", which is pretty unambiguous. If Tesla don't put these cars through the portal until they're registered, then anything not already registered today at the latest would be past that point I would think.

The guidance says you can't claim after the vehicle is registered. So it has to be before registration.

Like several others I'm waiting on a M3P. Being asked to pay another £3,500 at the eleventh hour may be a deal breaker. A psychological hammer blow.
I need to know what "for orders placed on the portal" in the budget wording means. I know others have mentioned the PICG can only be formally applied for when the car is finally registered. The wording using "orders placed" gives me a straw to cling to that there is maybe a system in place on the portal to place reservations for the grant in advance of the later delivery and registration. Does anyone have motor industry knowledged of the "portal"?

You’re correct, the dealer can’t apply for the PIG using the government portal until after the car is registered. So nothing to do with whether or not you already have the registration number. Tesla registers the car on the day of delivery.

Personally I can’t see Tesla absorbing this change. In the scheme of things, the UK market is quite small, and I suspect they will want to maintain margins and be willing to take the hit on UK orders.

I suppose the silver lining is that this change will do no harm to resale values of used LR and P Model 3s.

Not quite sure this is correct - the guidance (https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/768517/plug-in-portal-dft-guidance.pdf) states that the grant can be applied for as soon as the contract is signed by the customer (Section 3.9) and will be honoured at the level as at the time of ordering provided that the vehicle is registered within 9 months (Section 3.10). The process flow overview (page 11) shows that the application process can be started immediately, with VIN and registration details being added as they become available.

On my reading, as long as the grant has been applied for before 11.59 tonight, it will be honoured. The question is whether it is Tesla’s practice to apply as soon as they are able to.

Last edited: