Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging in an iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I recently traded in the S I bought last year for one to be delivered in a few weeks (traded it so I could get v2 hardware and continue with unlimited supercharging).

A few days ago I stopped by the local Tesla store and saw the current Ss include a center console which includes a place to plug in an iPhone. But when I tried that with my phone the phone's protective case prevented the car's connector from getting far enough into the phone to make a connection.

That case has saved the phone more times than I can count (poor phone gets dropped a lot) so it needs to stay meaning if I have to I'll continue to charge using the 12 volt receptacle.

But, per chance has anyone come up with a way to charge using the Tesla plug while the phone is in a protective case?

If you search "dock extender for iPhone" on Amazon you will find many options to give you the clearance you need to charge your phone in the case. If you search, there is also a post on this forum that provides a step-by-step guide with pictures to modify the wiring harness with a toothpick. My harness was slightly different than the one using this approach so it would not work for me.

The only downside to the extender is that over time it can become loose enough that you will need to hold it in place when you remove your phone or it will come out still connected to the end of your phone and you'll need to reattach it. Not a big deal, but could be irritating to some.

• Informative
Reactions: Patrick W
Don't you still have direct access to the USB ports? I have the yacht floor and I keep a USB-lightning cable in the car permanently, attached to one USB port. I wouldn't want a console dock anyway, because I want to have Waze running closer to eye level.

Yes, there is a free USB, but if you want to avoid a cable the dock is a cleaner, if less functional way to charge. When we can mirror Waze, Google or Apple maps to our big boy screen, all these problems go away.

We're getting off topic, but I'm not so sure I'd mirror Waze to the big screen even if I could. As it is my phone is closer to eye level and road view than the big screen is. Maybe things will look different in a TM3 with its screen placement, plus AP2.

I recently traded in the S I bought last year for one to be delivered in a few weeks (traded it so I could get v2 hardware and continue with unlimited supercharging).

A few days ago I stopped by the local Tesla store and saw the current Ss include a center console which includes a place to plug in an iPhone. But when I tried that with my phone the phone's protective case prevented the car's connector from getting far enough into the phone to make a connection.

That case has saved the phone more times than I can count (poor phone gets dropped a lot) so it needs to stay meaning if I have to I'll continue to charge using the 12 volt receptacle.

But, per chance has anyone come up with a way to charge using the Tesla plug while the phone is in a protective case?
@Patrick W you should be able to make a very simple mod to the connector in your console to make it fit your iPhone with case, see: Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

the thread originally discusses the older style console, but later posts show a similar mod with the newer console in refreshed Model S.

Thanks, but my modification skills are less than stellar. :) I'm afraid I'd just make the situation worse.
actually the mod is really simple, screwdriver and Xacto knife are the only tools required. Basically the mod simply pushes the connector a few mm further out of the hole in the dock.

Once you get the car, you can always just remove the 2 screws holding the dock to quickly inspect what's going on and decide if you want to attempt. take a look at the photos in post #38 of the thread I mentioned for a look at the newer console's dock.

When I need to charge in the car I take my phone out of the case. I know it's not ideal, but it works.

I use a Lifeproof and they aren't designed to be removed constantly. If you misshape the case too much it loses its waterproofing capabilities.

I imagine I'll run into the same problem when my car shows up and need an extender.

Check your plug install. There are two settings for the piece that holds the lightning plug. Works great on my thick case but was not installed that way

Yes, take it apart (its a pain) and there should be an L shaped tab that screws down on the lighting connector. One is thicker and pushes the connector further up into the dock. YMMV as I have a brand new MS

Now that you mention it. When I showed my OA my phone she said that they'd just have the service guys "set it up" for my phone. I guess what you're explaining is what she meant.