Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod Point removing from app some public (Sainsburys) chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your local supermarket with a free 7kW charger is only a couple of miles away (my Tesco is), what's wrong in charging while shopping & arriving home with more miles than you started?

....Every Little Helps ;)
Agreed. That’s how I see these free 7kW supermarket chargers too. If the charge covers the journey there and back home again then it’s perfect for both parties.

Once we get these at every public & private car park it will make even more sense.

my local council has added 7kW PodPoint chargers to its car parks for the last few years now, and has just embarked on adding 22kW chargers too, with 50kW CCS/CHAdeMO in central car parks to entice more Taxis to convert. Charging cars are exempt from parking fees (max 3 hours, no return within 4 hours) too.

Last edited:
Revisiting this, does anyone know the current status of these ex PodPoint Sainsburys chargers? I may be looking to visit one again soon now that we can travel a bit further afield.

The site we use to visit is still listed as Sainsburys in ZapMap but its gone from the PodPoint app so can't see status and not sure if/how you would confirm the charge. So not sure who the operator is now or even if they are still there.

Thankfully some (also PodPoint) alternatives have appeared at a local Tesla instead, including a rapid. But we don't normally use that site so would normally be a special visit rather than a useful top-up whilst we shop.

Last edited:
I've noticed that some 7kWh PodPoints, except those located at Tesco, you can change without the need to register your charge even after the initial 15 minutes grace period. Not sure if the central PodPoint computer system register the charger as being in use so another potential user will see the status as being in use or otherwise.

Haven't noticed any disappearing, we have a 4-socket charger at our local Tesco and it doesn't get used much. For me the problem is that it is untethered, so if you want to use it you have to remember to take your own cable, then faff about plugging it in and getting the app going (which randomly logs you out if it hasn't been used in a while), in the rain, trying to read a stupid name on the charger, then going into Tesco for 20 minutes just to get 2Kwh of juice, or less if the charger decides to stop half way, then having to unlock, unplug and wrap up a now wet and dirty cable (because there's mud on the ground) and put it in your boot all for about 30p worth of free electricity.
It's badly thought out and executed. They should have Type 2 cables attached to them like the Tesla ones, and should just start charging without an app. Until then they are just a novelty.
If they had cables attached to them they’d get destroyed, like public rapids often do, because people are lazy and careless and just drop them on the floor when they’re done, run them over, etc.

The Tesco I referred to earlier is in the town centre with an up-ramp covered, internal car park & allows up to 4 hours free against a minimum £15 spend. No rain, wet or dirty cable, random logging out of the app or failed charges either.

Very convenient but only if shopping early morning. I called in this afternoon but 2 of the 4 stalls were taken by ICE cars, the other two with EVs - one charging & the other already 'full' (I went elsewhere but topped the car up at home with solar anyway).

We have recently returned from the charging desert otherwise known as Dorset (all chargers in public car parks broken) and were very grateful for the free Podpoints over the border in Devon. Only 2 hours parking allowed but enough to get us to a faster Lidl charger and then back to the amazing Amesbury SC. IMHO always worth looking up availability of supermarket chargers free or paid prior to a trip to South West counties.

Reactions: kelvin 660