Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PodPoint reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have just pulled the trigger on my order and I'm 50% Excited, 50% terrified!

Even after watching a billion hours of YouTube content I feel utterly unprepared so just researching Home Chargers. I'm looking at the PodPoint 7kw Tethered variant for £559 after OLEV grant.

Anybody have this installed and would vouch for it?

Thanks!

Yes, Zero problems with PodPoint after 6 months of use.

Installation took about 3 weeks from ordering, didn't have to do too much in the way of paperwork either. Was installed in the exact place as requested and it was a neat job too.

Best £59 I've spent :)

Reactions: JS77
had one for just over a year. Ordering, Install was fine.

It did need fixing after 6 months as the contractors who installed it over-tightened something on the RCD in the main fuse box which damaged it and eventually it failed and I could not get a charge out of it.

If did get fixed, took a little while as everybody was trying to work out the new ways of working as lockdown had arrived.

A few months ago had issues with low charge rates, occasional 'won't charge' red indicator on the tesla (resolved by reinserting plug a few times). However recent OTA S/W upgrades seem to have largely made the problem go away so I'm assuming it was a Tesla problem.

Regrets. Not really - Does the job, getting issues resolved can be a little cumbersome with Pod-Point (even when I factor in the Covid Challenges), but not to the point I'd want to replace it. Their ordering, sorting out government grant and install where painless though (I gave up on a few other suppliers because the grant process was so painful)

We've had a 7kW tethered Pod Point for a bit over two years and had no issues at all. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Ditto the research. We decided, in the end, to just plug into the mains in the garage using the UMC.

On Octopus Go we charge up to 70 or 80% between 0030 and 0430 on the 5p cheap rate.

No electrician or capital outlay required.

I paid £279 with the grant back in October, fitted within 3 weeks and had no issues with it.

My only negative is the size, I have an untethered version and it turned out bigger than I expected, especially in comparison to others.

Yes I got one installed shortly before I got the car. First time I tried it it kept stopping and showing a red light. I contacted them through the app and they adjusted some settings remotely and it now works perfectly. Their support works really well and the charge logging on the app is good too.

I've had a 7Kw tethered for almost 12 months, it was installed free so not sure of the pricing. Works just fine with the MG, though I'm still waiting for my M3 so cannot comment on this.

The app is a bit basic but it does the job.

Mine is fine now, but mine was installed a few days before I picked up my M3 so wasn't able to test it before the engineer left.

Turns out that the engineer had attached the "fuse saver" to the wrong cable in my cabinet, so it just tripped out every time I tried to use it. Covid then hit and they weren't able to send anyone out to fix it for about 3 months.

No problems since then...

I have one too, car isn’t here yet so haven’t had chance to use it yet. The install is very neat, and the engineer was happy to put where ever I wanted it.

Power was only off for 5mins top while he connected everything so there wasn’t any inconvenience to us during the installation!

I paid £559 for a 7kw tethered unit with OLEV grant.

Reactions: JS77
Don't they all pretty much work for most people most of the time? Not seen anything about any particular charger that is unreliable or incompatible with the M3. There are a few with special features for solar etc but other than that iis there much difference except price, size and looks?

Don't they all pretty much work for most people most of the time?
Not seen anything about any particular charger that is unreliable or incompatible with the M3.
There are a few with special features for solar etc but other than that
is there much difference except price, size and looks?
I remember reading about an issue when the electricity company decide to activate a dedicated night discount home power line at irregular time.
So when the a car wake up but the power line is not on, then the car is going back to sleep and doesn't weak up when the power is on.
So be able remotely to be informed about the status of the charging is certainly an important feature.