Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 coming in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXLRplus

Mar 11, 2020
Eastvale, CA
Or so they say.

For $64,200 (qualifies for Fed $7500) you get an AWD 402HP four-door hatchback with trailer hitch. Seems just smaller than the eTron.

It has modern features:

• Pilot Assist (AP)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Blind Spot Information system with steer assist
  • Cross Traffic Alert with brake support
  • Rear collision warning and mitigation
  • Collision avoidance and mitigation by braking and steering
  • Run-off mitigation
  • Forward collision warning
  • Lane Keeping Aid
  • Road Sign Information
  • Speed limiter
  • Driver Alert Control
  • Post impact braking
  • 360° Camera
  • Front park assist
  • Rear park assist
  • HomeLink™
  • Fixed panoramic sunroof + Polestar symbol lit in/on roof
  • Pixel headlights with welcome lights
  • LED front fog lights with cornering function
  • Headlight high pressure cleaning
  • Heated wiper blades and steering wheel
  • Heated front and rear seat
  • Power-operated four-way lumbar support
  • Seat cushion extensions
  • Rear storage net, front seat backrests
  • Interior high level illumination
  • Harman Kardon premium sound
  • Additional USB connector rear
  • Inductive charging 15W for smart phone
  • Rear floor “lid in lid” with bag holder
  • USB C charging
  • Dashboard and tablet-style MCU.
A bit cheaper than the Model Y (with hitch $55k) but with more driver's aids.

polestar2.jpg

What's its cargo space, range, charge rate, vampire drain, and active safety features such as how does it handle driver falling asleep unintentionally (with and without autosteer)?

The info I posted was from the Polestar US site. I have no clue what the actual metrics are yet. The 'build' page works now. I did make a typing error. The Model Y will be a bit cheaper in the US but not much difference.

Polestar is fully owned by Geely.
Home
Unfortunately and surreally enough -- that's not entirely true...

Polstar (and Volvo Cars) is owned by the very undemocratic Chinese 'communist' Military Dictatorship...

Source: (EDIT: This quote is missing some parts. You'll have to click on it to see it in it's original thread so see the parts that are missing.)
Discussion continued from the ”Model S Wagon?” thread here:

Model S Wagon? - Page 8

The complete quote:

…and my argument for argument answer:

According to this article in the Swedish newspaper "Svenska Dagbladet" (The Swedish Daily Paper(?):wink:) that is a false statement:

I industriklenodens innersta maktrum | SvD

The ownerhip structure behind Volvo Cars (not to be mixed up with Volvo Group (Trucks, Buses, Construction Equipment et. al.)) was apparently secret until the the EIB (the European Investment Bank) demanded to be presented with this ownership structure since they were about to grant Volvo Cars a considerable loan. According to this article (and using the EIB as the source) the owners are:

Geely Holding Group owned by Li Shufu: 51%

The Daqing investementfund: 37% (This is one branch of the Chinese 'gov.')

An industrial area outside Shanghai: 12% (This is another branch of the Chinese 'gov.')

So it might seem that Geely Holding Group holds a miniscule majority post. However, out of the little more than 6 billion SEK (Swedish currency) Geely Holding Group paid Ford for this 51% share, ‘only’ 1,5 billion SEK of this money actually came from Geely Holiding Group. 1,5 billion SEK at a 10-15% interest rate came from Ford through some kind of sellers promissory note (if that’s the correct English term…) AND, the remaining 3 billion SEK Geely/Li Shufu had to borrow through banks owned by the Chinese government. The loan from Ford has since been repaid by more loans through banks owned by the Chinese government. Hence: Volvo Cars is currently, as I understand it, in reality in fact owned by the very, very undemocratic Chinese dictatorial ‘government’.

And to make things even worse, according to another article in the same paper:

Halva Geelys vinst kommer från bidrag | SvD

…which in turn references an article in the Economist about a study by a company called Fathom China, 51% of Geely Automobiles profit in 2011 was apparently an allowance from the Chinese ‘government’…

Assuming you’re right about your claim about the Swedish government, which I can’t really comment on, I would still fail to see the problem in these two scenarios. Both the Swedish and the French governments are put in place through democratic elections, and neither commits human right’s abuses on a massive scale. Sure, the French government probably would have favoured the French Automotive industry just like one might argue that Ford favoured their American brands over Volvo, and GM favoured their American brands, Holden and Opel over SAAB. But, as you also write, the deal with Renault that fell trough was a few years ago. In fact, correct me if I’m wrong, but as I recall, it even happened before Ford bought Volvo Cars. So that’s quite some time ago… And also, the favouring problem might also still persist with the Chinese government as the de facto owner… It’s probably even rather likely…

--- Updated:

And also: I’m guessing that if Li Shufu for some reason makes a sufficiently large mistake in the eyes of the powers that be, then that could quite possibly mean the last sunlight he’ll see for a very long time. …Or, even the last sunlight he ever saw…

Unfortunately and surreally enough -- that's not entirely true...

Polstar (and Volvo Cars) is owned by the very undemocratic Chinese 'communist' Military Dictatorship...

Source: (EDIT: This quote is missing some parts. You'll have to click on it to see it in it's original thread so see the parts that are missing.)

The UN says China is an upstanding international peacemaker who only wants the best for it's neighbors. I suppose China owning the UN is even more important than them owning Volvo/Polestar.

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle
You must be eating too much Trump steaks.
Why did unelected dear leader General Admiral of Sweden, King Carl XVI Gustaf, sell Volvo (pride of the Swedish workers) to his chinese communist military dictatorship friends in the first place?

View attachment 562762
95244688_62e6dcc0a4.jpg
1. You didn't read my old post in the V60 Plug-in Hybrid thread did you? If ~90% of the money that Geely spent buying Volvo Cars from Ford came from state owned Chinese Banks -- then who really owns Volvo Cars and Polestar?

2. I was in camp Clinton in '16 and I'm in camp Biden this year. Unfortunately though I can't really influence (or vote) in the US election.

3. Yes -- Carl Bernadotte is unelected. And that's why I personally of course want the highest office in Sweden to be held by someone who's been democratically elected. Unfortunately,... according to various polls ~60% of Swedes disagree with me...

Made in China. So could be worse. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole (pun intended).
Tesla is making cars in China as well.
Build quality appears to be quite good in the first reviews.

WIRED: "This is an extremely well-developed car that has the kind of quality of finish that Tesla has been aiming for but missing"

E-Fahrer: "It’s a Tesla without the extra kick, but also without the suffering that Tesla customers sometimes have with service disasters and shortcomings in production details."