Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is reference to a "dozen or two miles" more.. . Our 2014 60 has 49K and burns about .313 kwh average over that gross...adding 15kwh would net almost 48 miles...our 2-3 times weekly missions are Santa Rosa to San Jose/Sac, so we usually charge for 10 minutes on the way back at Fremont or Vacaville or even Petaluma. For us, the 2K would eliminate the stops, so a no-brainer...alas, we have a 60kwh battery...which range charged to 197 the other day, so down about 4% from brand new....J

Software limited 60 is a different beast than the original 60. I had the original and now have the software limited one. For example, the software limited 60 has 4KWh more usable energy than the original 60, and it has higher voltage (so more power for the same current) - lower voltage of the original 60 battery was the reason Tesla never built original 60D, even though they took orders for it for 2 weeks or so. 60 to 75 update however is not a +15KWhr update, your "model number" goes up by 15 but the actual unlocked battery capacity is ~10KWhr (see this post for a lot more info).

For reference, the actual usable KWh (after subtracting the anti-battery-brick buffer which you can never use, car won't even power up if you are about to use it):
Original 60 - usable 58KWh
Software Limited 60 - usable 62KWh
75 - usable 72KWh
85 - usable 77KWh
90 - usable 82KWh
I couldn't find data on the 100, but if you search these forums you will.

Now, you also need to consider that the last 10% of the battery the charging is ultra slow, so people use it onlly if pre-charging overnight at home before a long trip, or if they are willing to spend a lot more at the Supercharger, which may be longer than skipping a 10 minute supercharger stop saves.

Last edited:
Got my badge changed today. :)View attachment 223907

Car looks great. I am sure you must have several naysayers argue that the manufacturing process alone creates a tremendous amount of CO2s. Perhaps, however that is a very weak arguement...

"As long as people are buying and driving cars, Teslas are excellent choices regarding carbon emissions."​

I thought about debadging when getting Xpel applied - including taking off the Model S logo. They had to take those off anyway.

Removing these letters and numbers makes for a real clean look and it also makes cleaning the car that much easier. More importantly, who really wants to be driving around with a puny little 60 displayed when it's so relatively affordable to get your badge upgraded to 75?

I called the detailing shop, but it was too late. They had already reapplied the badges. Oh well. Guess I'll just be noticed by other Tesla owners and insiders as one of "those guys", a 60/75-holdout. The stigma may become unbearable. ;)

Car looks great. I am sure you must have several naysayers argue that the manufacturing process alone creates a tremendous amount of CO2s. Perhaps, however that is a very weak arguement...

"As long as people are buying and driving cars, Teslas are excellent choices regarding carbon emissions."​

I thought about debadging when getting Xpel applied - including taking off the Model S logo. They had to take those off anyway.

Removing these letters and numbers makes for a real clean look and it also makes cleaning the car that much easier. More importantly, who really wants to be driving around with a puny little 60 displayed when it's so relatively affordable to get your badge upgraded to 75?

I called the detailing shop, but it was too late. They had already reapplied the badges. Oh well. Guess I'll just be noticed by other Tesla owners and insiders as one of "those guys", a 60/75-holdout. The stigma may become unbearable. ;)

Thanks so much! Surprisingly, maybe because I live in Tesla/EV land here, I haven't had to really defend Tesla or EV's carbon footprint. It only happened once recently with a co-worker (who happens to drive a Leaf), so I pointed him to the research, as well as to the fact CA has a very clean grid.

I never really thought of removing the badges, even though I have Xpel Ultimate/Cquartz Finest applied to the car. One of my neighbors bought a MS after me and his badge is gone. It made me suspicious that he must have a 60, that's why he took it off. ;) Why would people take it off if you they have a P85D, P90DL, or P100DL? My detailer, who took off the badge for me yesterday, reminded me that even these P owners tell him to take off all badges. I was surprised by that. I guess it's just for a cleaner look.

I don't think people are saying it's not fair or reasonable, because it is. It's just not worth for some people who would never use it. It's like adding a roof storage box to your car for a fair and reasonable price. Yes it adds more storage capacity to your car, but some will find if they use it, it causes drag, height issues, possible wear on the car. Same as charging to 100%, no regen causes higher Wh/m and higher brake usage, and it's bad for the battery to keep charging to 100% daily. Yes, you can only charge to 100% when you know ahead of time you'll need it, just like with the roof storage, you could only put it on when you need it, but for those who would only use it once a year it's not worth paying $2000 for it, but maybe a lower price would make it worth it.

So again, not a matter of fair and reasonable, because I think $2K for 10KWh capacity is reasonable, it's just a matter of whether it is worth getting for some people considering its utility is only for pre-planned trips, that's all. So maybe the answer of whether it's worth $2000 is depends on how many times will you charge to 100% and what your alternative is (if it's an extra 30 minutes due to route change, or do you have to pay for a tow). The lower the price, the lower the threshold of "how many times do you have to charge to 100% to make it worth the price".

This should be the "featured response" for this post. Well put !

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Removing these letters and numbers makes for a real clean look and it also makes cleaning the car that much easier.
And that is exactly why I took "Model S" and the model number off of all 3 of our Tesla's. You can have the SC do it in a few minutes (I know because they forgot to do on one of the cars, so they did it on delivery day). I love the clean look. And on resale, I think it's $5 or $10 to put it back on (or free if you keep what you took off and re-apply it yourself), if the new owner cares (I sold one so far and the buyer didn't want it either, he liked the clean look too).

One of my neighbors bought a MS after me and his badge is gone. It made me suspicious that he must have a 60, that's why he took it off. ;) Why would people take it off if you they have a P85D, P90DL, or P100DL? My detailer, who took off the badge for me yesterday, reminded me that even these P owners tell him to take off all badges. I was surprised by that. I guess it's just for a cleaner look.
Do you consider a "60" a badge of shame? ;) I took off my P85D badge at order time (ok, they missed the note with the order at the factory so SC did it on delivery day) and still have the "____" in the drawer from the Ludicrous upgrade. I also didn't take the red calipers which would have been free with the car, because I liked the clean look of the 60 that the P85D was replacing (heck, unless you know to look for the AP, my P85D looks identical to the 60, I even got the very same options inside because I liked them in my 60). I also have a 60D which has no badges, and if I upgrade to 75D, don't plan to use the badge either. I know some people like to advertise what they drive, I buy my cars for me and equip them as I like them, not trying to pay what the next owner may or may not want. :)

For those who are considering the 75 upgrade mostly for the badge, you can get a new badge for only ~$10. :p

Last edited:
Got my 60 rebadged to a 75 at the SC today. They were out of 75 badges, but had 75D. I was offered to have the D added also, even though I only have a single motor.

I declined because I didn't to come off as some fake/poser/douche, so they cut the D off and only applied the 75 to my Elmo.

But I thought it was interesting that they didn't give a crap about the integrity of the badge and we're willing to falsely label my car. Anyone else experience this? Am I just taking this way too seriously? :)

Got my 60 rebadged to a 75 at the SC today. They were out of 75 badges, but had 75D. I was offered to have the D added also, even though I only have a single motor.

I declined because I didn't to come off as some fake/poser/douche, so they cut the D off and only applied the 75 to my Elmo.

But I thought it was interesting that they didn't give a crap about the integrity of the badge and we're willing to falsely label my car. Anyone else experience this? Am I just taking this way too seriously? :)
You can get P100D badge on ebay, and probably order it as a part from SC too. I've heard of people who made up non-existing badges before and put them on their car, like P70D, or P160 (you can find some pictures on this forum). Others have just rotated their 6 on the 60's so they read "90". I don't thing this is any different than any other cars, you can order parts for Ferrari including badges, then stick them on a Ford.

And that is exactly why I took "Model S" and the model number off of all 3 of our Tesla's. You can have the SC do it in a few minutes (I know because they forgot to do on one of the cars, so they did it on delivery day). I love the clean look. And on resale, I think it's $5 or $10 to put it back on (or free if you keep what you took off and re-apply it yourself), if the new owner cares (I sold one so far and the buyer didn't want it either, he liked the clean look too).

Do you consider a "60" a badge of shame? ;) I took off my P85D badge at order time (ok, they missed the note with the order at the factory so SC did it on delivery day) and still have the "____" in the drawer from the Ludicrous upgrade. I also didn't take the red calipers which would have been free with the car, because I liked the clean look of the 60 that the P85D was replacing (heck, unless you know to look for the AP, my P85D looks identical to the 60, I even got the very same options inside because I liked them in my 60). I also have a 60D which has no badges, and if I upgrade to 75D, don't plan to use the badge either. I know some people like to advertise what they drive, I buy my cars for me and equip them as I like them, not trying to pay what the next owner may or may not want. :)

For those who are considering the 75 upgrade mostly for the badge, you can get a new badge for only ~$10. :p

How much for the P100D ludicrous badge?

Last edited:
I never really thought of removing the badges, even though I have Xpel Ultimate/Cquartz Finest applied to the car. One of my neighbors bought a MS after me and his badge is gone. It made me suspicious that he must have a 60, that's why he took it off. ;) Why would people take it off if you they have a P85D, P90DL, or P100DL? My detailer, who took off the badge for me yesterday, reminded me that even these P owners tell him to take off all badges. I was surprised by that. I guess it's just for a cleaner look.

Some people don't want others to know they're driving a $150k+ car. Might attract more thieves or nefarious people who knows. Some people are just modest. I've tried to be low key about my lowly 60 (now a 75) but its attracted a lot of attention as of late.

Reactions: OBX John

After upgrading to 75, I called my detailers to de-badge my car. It took 15 mins. The letters came off relatively easy since they had reapplied them after my xpel and CQuartz application several weeks prior. My detailer was able to remove the glue and reapply CQuartz over that area. IMO, the car looks so much cleaner without any badging.

Last edited:
After upgrading to 75, I called my detailers to de-badge my car. It took 15 mins. The letters came off relatively easy since they had reapplied them after my xpel and CQuartz application several weeks prior. My detailer was able to remove the glue and reapply CQuartz over that area. IMO, the car looks so much cleaner without any badging.
We removed the badging right after delivery for CQuartz treatment and never put them back on the car. Like the cleaner look.